• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    So I bought a 72 Starcraft 15' boat with a 85hp johnson outboard motor. Got her cheap and have spent last week getting her cleaned up and ready to put on the lake. I live in Hobart (nwi) and im wanting to know if anyone has a suggestion as to a good lake to try out on. Not looking to go fast, just looking to put her on the water and check everything out. Im only a half mile from lake George, but it seems to be a pretty busy launch. Im completely new to this and i know holding up others is a big no no. Anyone know of a good place that is not busy that i could go to practice launching and reloadin while checking everything out too, no leaks, motor runs good on water, etc. Or is there anyone close that might wanna tag along that is a veteran boater to help guide me and give me some knowledge. Thanks for any help or suggestions

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Suggestion # 1. Install transom drain plug before you back the trailer down the ramp.

Suggestion #2. Bring someone with you that has launched a boat multiple times.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    -Have you ran the motor with the hose adapter (looks like ear muffs with a hose attached) to make sure the water pump is good and the engine will start/idle/engage forward and reverse.
    -Have you checked that the battery is being charged while the engine is running.

These 2 things need to be verified on a boat of that age before you put it in the water and find out those items do not work.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Yeah. Ive ran the motor on muffs. Fires right up and runs good. Forward and reverse engage just fine and throttle up good. Got the drain plug ready to go along with a spare. Battery good. Its a two stroke motor, checked compression, 135 all 4 cylinders. Changed lower gear lube. Im a mechanic and know the basics. Im mostly worried bout launching and holding people up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah. Ive ran the motor on muffs. Fires right up and runs good. Forward and reverse engage just fine and throttle up good. Got the drain plug ready to go along with a spare. Battery good. Its a two stroke motor, checked compression, 135 all 4 cylinders. Changed lower gear lube. Im a mechanic and know the basics. Im mostly worried bout launching and holding people up.

You have it covered then.

I have seen a few new boaters pick up a deal and think they will head straight to the ramp.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Thanks for the input so far. I know running a boat comes with some major chores to.make sure all is good. I hope my first launch is good. Ive been around boats plenty, and kinda know what to look for, and check before attempting to launch. Im mostly concerned with the actual launch of the boat.. any more input would be appreciated. Expected launch day is Saturday morning. To bed for the evening but will check for more input in the morning. Thanks ingo

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't want to stick my foot in my mouth here, but you obviously are a competent guy. I would venture to say that so long as you can back a trailer without any issues your launch should go just fine! If you are worried about holding people up just try to go out the first time when the ramp isn't going to be super busy. Then you can not feel rushed and all will go smoothly.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I don't want to stick my foot in my mouth here, but you obviously are a competent guy. I would venture to say that so long as you can back a trailer without any issues your launch should go just fine! If you are worried about holding people up just try to go out the first time when the ramp isn't going to be super busy. Then you can not feel rushed and all will go smoothly.

I agree with Bfish. You have already been through the worst part, the getting it ready and worrying about it.

Everybody has been that guy at some point in our lives, so quit worrying so much and just have fun. Make sure you have a paddle in the boat and that it is untied in the rear and the front is still tied before backing in. Make sure the motor is in the up position also so it doesn't scrape the ramp. As squirrel said DON'T FORGET TO PUT IN THE PLUG!

You need a life jacket for each person and a seat cushion or throw. Make sure you have registered it and fire extinguisher on board.
    I might be missing something but you can find out all the details in the Indiana boaters guide. If the horn doesn't work get a air horn in the little can.

If somebody has to wait a little it won't kill them no matter how much the may want you to think so.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1st thing I was taught when helping the old man launch his boat is un-strap the back.....leave the rope attached to the nose . When it starts to float push it off the trailer and let the winch out. I would pull it back up with the rope and un hook, climb in and push off on the trailer. Fire it up and back away from the dock. Dad would pull the trailer out and park it while I idled around waiting to pick him and the crew up at the dock.
    Eventually Mom was confidant enough to ride down the ramp in the boat so we fired it up and she would back it off the trailer.

It takes 2 people at least to launch in a timely Manner.Just relax and enjoy the day. If some one gets pushy about how much time you are taking tell them to pound sand. There is no clock running.

Oh yeah.....what Glue Man said.......The plug man, Put in the plug.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    If you are able go on a weekday. There is usually a lot less people on the water. Pay attention to how deep you back in when launching. Try and put the trailer in the same depth when loading, it makes loading a lot easier.

If launching by yourself, tie a rope from the boat to the front of the trailer. You can pull the boat back to you in case it wants to float away. I say the front of the trailer so you can stay dry. If you are planning on getting wet, it doesn't matter where you tie it off. If your winch will free spool you can use it, just make sure the end is secured to the winch.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Thanks so much for all the responses, i really appreciate it. Pretty sure ive got it all covered and i think im gonna take a vacation day on monday, weather permitting, that way the chances of holding people up will be reduced. Only thing left to get on my checklist is the fire extinguisher and I'll pick that up today. Appreciate all the encouragement and please.feel free to add any more suggestions

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Have your dock lines and bumpers out and ready if you plan to tie up to the dock when parking the truck. If there is a choice, try to pull up to the upwind side of the dock so the wind holds you against the dock. It is much easier to tie up this way. The other valuable tool that you might want to have handy is a boat hook. It makes grabbing the dock, etc much easier.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Being as nobody has said it yet.
    the two best days in a boat owners life. The day he gets it, and the day he sells it. Haha. Have fun on all of the days in between.

Last edited by a moderator:

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Cedar Lake has a public ramp. There is a fee, but it's not too much and usually isn't too busy during the week. If you go, watch to the right of the ramp (as your facing the shore) as there are some large rocks. I dinged the hell out of my prop on a shakedown run. If you have an electric trolling motor, it's a good idea to have it in case your outboard has issues. Put in the drain plug.

Needmorammo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Columbus
    Just my :twocents:, but when loading, make sure the trailer is not backed in too far . It is much easier to use the motor to push the boat a few inches onto the trailer ,than it is to keep it from floating sideways off position. As stated above... Reference waterline on trailer when unloading. Good luck, and have fun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We should go over some of the basics -

Do not do this

Or this

Or this

We have seen more than a few go in backwards but never grill 1st.
    Funniest one (not to the owner) was a 21 footer stopped on the ramp wife at the wheel and hubby latching the boat down. He got it all battened down and asked the wife to help him with something. She got out.....bad move. Truck in drive no E-brake......back down the ramp and into the lake. Boat floated out about 25 yds nose down with a Pick Up truck dangling from the hitch. It took 3 guys to drag the line from the tow rig out and get the truck. It was grill down dragging the bottom.
    2 Bass boats stopped the rig from floating on out in the lake.
    Not sure if Divorce followed or not.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Ramp traffic....good times
    I remember camping at lieber and taking a 6 pack down to the ramp just to watch all the idiots.

Unplug the trailer lights before backing it in the water is all I can add that hasnt been said. And get a spare tire if you don't have one.

Top Bottom