• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Now I've done a lot of reading on aimpoint and eotech. I've looked around the forum and seen all kinds of stuff. Here is my question, why in the world would i buy a sight for 400-500 bucks, then a magnifier for it, or just an acog and pay more for the sight system than i paid for the rifle? Are the cheapo red dot sights really that much crappier? I mean, i would really like to have a nice sight but it just seems crazy that these are that expensive. Maybe i'm just cheap!!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    If you want quality equipment, you pay for it. The cheaper red dots are, in fact, that much worse.

You're trying to compare the price of good optics to the price of the rifle, which isn't fair. Good glass is expensive and a good optic isn't cheap. Will it probably cost more than your rifle? Yes, but it's worth it.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    A good rule of thumb on fudd guns is that the glass wil probably cost about as much as the gun.

Keep in mind that Eotech and Aimpoint are made to withstand the rigors of actual field use ( combat).

When you go for cheap red dots, you really have to pay attention. Some of them will loose zero, or are not sealed up as well as the higher end products.

If you are simply wanting a basic red dot sight for when you go plinking at the range, then look at some of the more value oriented products such as burris or vortec.

You get what you pay for.

With that in mind, at the last 1500 I went to, my cousin and I purchased 4 red dot sights for 30 bucks a peice after getting a discount for buying 4 of them. We figured that if they do not hold up over time, we can simply use them for targets. If you buy cheap optics, do not be outraged if they loose zero, or fail in some ither manner.

We are very happy with the red dots we purchased, they work fine for what we use and expect out of them.

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    yep, cheap is crap, there is no faking it.
    If you want to feel better about spending $400 for an Aim Point Pro (that I have) go look at Schmidt and Benders prices.......$4,5, 6,000. yep Thousand.
    Aimpoint is battle tested, if you need magnification your idea of an Acog is good, if you can find a USED, REAL one, you may save $100 or so, but alot of them don't get resold, because they are SWEET.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    FWIW - I was talking with a guy Saturday that got 1 shot using a Sightmark red dot before it broke. He sent it back & it was exchanged for one that got 6 shots before it broke. Even my plinkers are deserving of better than that.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It really depends on your use's. The reason alot of optics are more expensive than the rifle is the optic has more to do with overall accuracy then the rifle.

Most of rifles out there are more accurate than the guy pulling the trigger. The optic deals with the largest varible in accuracy "human error". I have all kinds of folks at shows tell me "ya but I dont have human error" to that I say "you sir are full of ____". Everyone on the planet has human error, some have more, some have less. A quality optic helps you have less.

Some brands are jsut no go, stay away from, some brands are find for 99% of use's, some brands are fine for dropping out of a helo. what you need is kind of your call.

Everything out there can fail or have issues. Ive sent 3000 dollar scopes back to the company due to issues. On the reddot front Ive sold 400ish sparcs and strikefires and of themd 3 have been sent back for issues. Aimpoints numbers are probably lower than that, barsak, ncstar, sightmark, are probably hovering around 50/50

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    This is great information. I didnt really think much about the human error part of it, and it makes sense that a quality scope would help with that much more than a cheapo. If i'm wanting to buy a red dot and eventually put a 4X magnifier on it, would it just be better to go ahead and buy the acog? i guess i need to shoot both and see what i like best, where can i go and do that?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    This is great information. I didnt really think much about the human error part of it, and it makes sense that a quality scope would help with that much more than a cheapo. If i'm wanting to buy a red dot and eventually put a 4X magnifier on it, would it just be better to go ahead and buy the acog? i guess i need to shoot both and see what i like best, where can i go and do that?

This would be my recomendation. Its the most popular scope I carry period and Is intended for folks trying to make the same decision you are

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 1-4x24 TMCQ MOA (Uncapped)

I am the cheese

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Shoot the iron. Learn to use your iron sights first before you get optics. If you have a flat top then purchase irons first. Learn to hit what you want with those before you go buying sights that will sooner or later fail you. Iron will always be there. Well hopefully it will always be there.

Hiserman79

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Madison
    I just got a new flat top and this too is my current sticking point. I know I'm going iron sights 1st but will eventually get a red dot. I can't even seem to make choice for iron sights. So many options so many opinions.

Chaplain45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Noblesville
    That is where I am right now. I can afford a sightmark but I have not really learned to use the iron sights. The opinions I hear suggest to save up the money and buy the better sight. I am new to the AR world and just don't have a grasp on whether to even bother with the iron sights.

Wazimu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Same boat as the Chaplain. Advice to me from the serious guys is get the irons and use them. Advice from the practical guys is use whatever floats your boat. I got my AR because some idiot in Washington wanted to prevent me from having one. Buying the gun was small demonstration of my support of traditional freedom and solidarity with gun owners. Really, the gun will probably sit in the closet and I'll shoot it a couple of times a year with the boys.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    That is where I am right now. I can afford a sightmark but I have not really learned to use the iron sights. The opinions I hear suggest to save up the money and buy the better sight. I am new to the AR world and just don't have a grasp on whether to even bother with the iron sights.

Regardless of optic you choose, get a set of backup iron sights. And to echo what has already been said, buy the best optics you can afford.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I put Magpul MBUS [polymer flip-up iron sights] and they're excellent. You would think, being polymer, that they would be low-quality or would not last but they're solidly made. I was genuinely surprised when I handled one of their sights.

I'm looking at an Aimpoint Micro T-1 myself... Still between that and the Comp M4s which is bigger/bulkier and uses an AA-battery instead of a CR-2032. The T1 lasts 5 years always-on on a CR2032 and the M4s lasts up to 8 years on an AA.

Top Bottom