• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bucncrazy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    Plainfield
    OK I'm ready to buy my FIRST AR 15 my budget is probably around 1200-1500. I'm very un-educated on ARs what do I look for and what do I stay away from? What is the best caliber? Is that a reasonable budget or should I wait and save more cash? Should I stay away from used?
    Thanks for your advice!

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Congrats on wanting to buy your first AR15.
    Read, read, read some more, then ask questions. Starting off asking questions without some research will just leave you confused by the amount of different answers you will get.

First, I'd browse the picture thread at the top of the forum. Get an idea of what you like/want/have questions about.

What will be the purpose of this AR? Range fun? SHTF?

Stick with 5.56 and forget about those piston AR's for now.

Many will recommend "building" your first, but I'd recommend buying your first. Get to know it inside and out.
    Start with a good rifle, not something on the lower end of the scale, price wise and quality wise.

You can't beat the Colt 6920 if you are looking for a M4 style carbine IMHO, and it is what I'd suggest looking at.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Completely agree with everything said above, especially the "read, read, read" part. Colt is an excellent choice and would leave you with enough left over for an aimpoint or eotech. With your budget, you may also check out Daniel Defense or BCM which may give you a few other options as far as stocks, rails, and gas systems go (middy vs carbine).

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I also agree about the 6920. For AR info I like think this site is the best I have found and its not brand biased like numerous other things you will read. The AR Guys they basically break down an ar into different sections and explain the difference in qualities and specs. They show you where companies cut corners to make guns cheaper.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Mvician set you straight there, though I am part of the build school myself, partly because I needed to spread the cost out to prevent the wife from using it on me and partly because I wanted the experience of building an AR. After going through the building process I wouldn't change a thing so build/buy to me seems to be more a matter of need and choice over right and wrong. Do what's right for you there I say but for the rest Mvician laid it out, read read read, finding pictures of what you like helps immensely, my only other suggestion is that if you can, get to a gun shop and hold some different ARs and get a feel for the weights, grips, etc... different set ups give (barrel length, rail type, stock type, optics, irons, stuff like that).

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    OK I'm ready to buy my FIRST AR 15 my budget is probably around 1200-1500. I'm very un-educated on ARs what do I look for and what do I stay away from? What is the best caliber? Is that a reasonable budget or should I wait and save more cash? Should I stay away from used?
    Thanks for your advice!

You, are in Plnfld.... see Bob, at pss, and then visit Mark, at Bradis ..... Shooter 521, here on INGO .....

Silverslider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    if you are set on spending all of it on an AR then do buy a colt. from what i have seen on prices they seem to hold their value better. you could build one for alot less, $500-$600 if you shop around and watch for deals. i would go for something lower priced and spend the rest on a nice eye piece. it all depends on what you plan to use it for. if you want a plinker pay less. if you want something more accurate at longer distances then spend the cash and go match.

Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    Youtube is also your friend. But don't settle just to get one. I had always wanted a Spikes. I was going to get something else (cheaper) but glad I didn't because I think I would of always still wish I had a spikes. Although this won't be my only one. It will always be my baby.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Watch deals on Palmetto State Armory and you can piece one together cheap! A complete upper off of them even sometimes with an optic (there is one there now) and a complete lower if you don't wish to assemble it… Then put the upper and lower together (this does not require ar knowledge) and you are out of there for under a grand with an optic. Way less without and optic and you can shop around… This is just my 2 cents but maybe consulting someone if you truly are new before you purchase may be wise...

sescbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I would also recommend PSA. You could easily get a complete upper & complete lower for around $600. They have a lot of options to choose from & are always running deals.

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    I have 2 colts ,they are a2 s bought in 1994 and 95 ,they have never failed to perform . Consider what you want them for , mid to long range , or short range to mid. range . Are you looking for home self defense , hunting , or just range fun. What ever you decide , go for a good barrel .My first AR was a sporter 16 inch ,and did not shot for **** ,to much barrel warp . Changed it to a fluted barrel and now it shots super. My 20 inch came with a heavy barrel and shot super right out of the box.I now have the 20 inch set up for mid.to long range.My 16 inch short to mid.range [home defense]. And yes stay with 223 ammo.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    Identify it's purpose, listen to the INGO members, utilize the inner web, you tube is great (keep your mental filter on), educate yourself and then go to the gun shop.

My opinion for an AR in that range LMT, but that's toward the top.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    ^^^^^^Identify its purpose...

Thats VERY important. Be aware of the wishes you have for this AR. Are you going to shoot it at distance? Are you going to do some kind of competition? Are you just looking to play around with it, and your not looking for much out of it?

This will dictate how much your gonna spend on it.

I went the PSA/wait for uppers and lowers to go on sale route. I just wanted to have one to shoot at 25 to 50yds, and have fun. Nothing amazing, and thus, not expensive.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I just bought my first AR in December. Bad timing since weather has prevented me from shooting it yet! I bought a M&P 15 Sport, nothing fancy. This will work well for punching paper. You will definitely like the AR. It feels light and balanced. Can't wait to shoot it.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Psa is hard to beat for the $ in the process of putting one together for my dad. Gonna have around $640 in it plus a sight. 16 carbine chf barrel, premium bcg with magpul furniture.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom