• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nobek102

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    So I have a first aid kit and medical supplies for home but seeing as how I work at least 5 days a week and am always on the move it seems like a good idea to have first aid kits in mine and my wife's vehicles... Any thoughts on what some essentials would be other than the obvious band aides and gauze...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Any prepackaged first aid kit designed for a car would be fine given the fact that you are asking this question. Add a fire extinguisher to it as well.

I'm not trying to bust your chops with this, but this question always drives me nuts. A first aid kit without enough training to know what you actually need is not nearly as useful. If you get enough training to deal with the problems you might encounter then you don't need to ask what to put in a kit because you'll know the stuff you would want based on your training.

Please, get training beyond basic first aid which is almost useless any more (the training available, not the concept), EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) or WFR (Wilderness First Responder) is a good foundation and then regular practice and updates to keep it current. The life you save may be someone you care about.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Please, get training beyond basic first aid which is almost useless any more (the training available, not the concept), EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) or WFR (Wilderness First Responder) is a good foundation and then regular practice and updates to keep it current. The life you save may be someone you care about.

I took the Wilderness First Aid course.
    I usually tell people "The good news is, if you get hurt I can patch you up. The bad news is, I have to drag you into the woods first". :)

My home/camp first aid kit is a Bass Pro Extreme Boat Bag with #370 Storage Boxes (adjustable compartments). I filled it a little at a time as things went on sale or I picked up samples from training courses.
    Bass Pro Shops Extreme Boat Bags | Bass Pro Shops
    Bass Pro Shops Storage Boxes | Bass Pro Shops

My vehicle first aid kit is smaller but contains the things that I think will be needed most often during a day trip or normal circumstances. It started as a pre-packaged kit and then I added to it over time.

My backpack kit is even smaller and contains just a few basic items that I might need on a hike (knowing that the camp kit and/or vehicle kit is available at the end of the hike).

I second taking some training, you will learn what you need to keep in a kit and how to use it. Supplies won't do you any good if you don't know how to use them.

Last edited:

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    I compiled my own into a Condor tear off med pouch.
    10156169_920761384609444_167503187861689025_n.jpg

Assorted Band-aids and OTC medications in the mesh pocket, Tylonal / IB Profene in the bottles, H&H's, CAT 2, with a 5" IZZY in the middle, Shears, tape, misc gauzes in the back - hidden is one of those pop the bag to activate cold packs ; with two energy gels because they fit and figured they'd work for a glucose supplement.

Last edited:

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I compiled my own into a Condor tear off med pouch.
    10156169_920761384609444_167503187861689025_n.jpg

Assorted Band-aids and OTC medications in the mesh pocket, Tylonal / IB Profene in the bottles, H&H's, CAT 2, with a 5" IZZY in the middle, Shears, tape, misc gauzes in the back ; with two energy gels because they fit and figured they'd work for a glucose supplement.

I've done the exact same thing. Same pouch and all. Just don't have a CAT yet. I keep it in the under seat storage of my dodge, next to my ammo bag.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    I've done the exact same thing. Same pouch and all. Just don't have a CAT yet. I keep it in the under seat storage of my dodge, next to my ammo bag.

Can't be too bad of an idea if I'm not the only one to have it :D. I took some old 1" webbing and a Fast-X off a junked mag pouch and made a collar I strap around the passengers side head rest and hang it with the molle straps. Yeah it's really visable and in sight but figure accessibility and all. Also zipped a wrapped snap light under neath the pouch, can see the tail sticking out underneath it all under the TQ

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom