• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Go to the airlines website, it should explain it. The last time I did it I had to have it in a locked case and it had to be unloaded and declared. They make you fill out a form and a tag that says "This luggage contains a firearm" then they have you put the label INSIDE the locked case inside the locked luggage.:dunno: Their story is that they're required to use the label but if it's on the outside of the luggage it WON'T contain a firearm when you retrieve your bag on the other end.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I was told you need to hold up your firearm and yell - "I HAVE A GUN"

Then report back here....

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I was told you need to hold up your firearm and yell - "I HAVE A GUN"

Then report back here....

But in a foreign language.

So it is pronounced, "Ahhllaaahhooo ahhhhkkkkbbaaahhrrrr."

That gets people's attention real quick.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you want prompt service, be sure to loud exclaim, "I HAVE A GUN." Repeat as necessary to get the attention of the counter clerk.

Also, check the web for each airline's specific rules. Here in Indiana, it's perfectly legal to be CARRYING in the non-secured check in space so you're completely fine. Not so in other states.

EDIT: Scooped. :(

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Ammo can be in the same container as long as it's in a box. I'm using a pelican case for it with 2 pad locks and the firearm with a cable lock. Once checked in, they haven't bothered me since using the pelican case.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    I recall one ticket agent that thought he had to check if my AR15 was loaded or not. Normally you sign a little form promising the thing is unloaded and that is that. Any mention of firearms by the agent is generally done in hushed tones so as not to offend any moms nearby. Anyhow, that particular ticket agent held my AR15 up over his head to that it could be seen 50 feet away and proceeded to ask in a loud voice if my gun was loaded. The crowd cleared.

Now I make it a point to separate the upper from the lower and but the bolt carrier group in a ziploc.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    When I fly, I print the TSA regs & the regs for each airline I will be using. I then lock my unloaded gun(s) in an approved locked container & the ammo in an approved container, usually in the same bag that the locked gun container, if allowed. I use TSA locks on the bag & NON TSA locks on the container w/ the guns.
    When checking my luggage, I declare my unloaded firearm & ask where to wait for TSA to come for the key for the gun container. Once they come get my key & then return said key to me, I go to the terminal.
    Not usually a big deal, but can be nerve wracking going thru it the 1st few times.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    The requirements are pretty straight forward. I would beware of New York city or New Jersey airports. I have read some horror stories of people getting caught up there with legal guns in their luggage.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Quality cases + checking the laws where you are leaving from AND for where you are heading/landing!

For example...while it may be okay to fly out of Indianapolis with a pistol in a properly locked container...landing at Laguardia Airport or JFK Intl in New York...things would not go as smoothly!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Thanks everyone. It sounds like a PITA. I think I'll drive.

It's actually not difficult at all. Information gathering is probably the most difficult part. Once you have that, and the right equipment (which you probably already have), the process is simple.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    View attachment 45814

Sorry for bad pic off my phone, I took it last fall at the airport, it was on a sign showing recent firearms seizures in 2015, any of those belong to any of you?
    I think the Star (or USA Today) did an article around that time about the number of firearms seizures, and that the TSA had a banner year last year (2015), with folks trying to bring guns on to commercial aircraft.

Of course its still fun to bash em, a cross section of hardworking Hoosier employees in our area doing a fine job as the Star also reported last week that Indianapolis International Airport (IND) was again voted for the third straight year in a row, "America's number one airport in the USA" as voted by its traveling public.

Any stories of hijackings, planes falling out of the skies.........................hmm, they must be doing something right.

I have never had an issue at IND.

Last edited:

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    when my son moved to Hawaii I went along to see how it was handled . the ticket agent said TSA doesn't come check anymore . He stated so many guns come through daily that its no big deal . all he needed to see was that it was in an approved container . factory box with locks .

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    When I fly, I print the TSA regs & the regs for each airline I will be using. I then lock my unloaded gun(s) in an approved locked container & the ammo in an approved container, usually in the same bag that the locked gun container, if allowed. I use TSA locks on the bag & NON TSA locks on the container w/ the guns.
    When checking my luggage, I declare my unloaded firearm & ask where to wait for TSA to come for the key for the gun container. Once they come get my key & then return said key to me, I go to the terminal.
    Not usually a big deal, but can be nerve wracking going thru it the 1st few times.

You let them leave your sight with the key? iirc That is actually a no no, you are supposed to remain in possession of the key. They can ask you to come with them and unlock it, but they are not supposed to take the key.
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock.

ETA It is actually against the law for them to take them. Per federal law only you are allowed to have possession of the key/combination.
    eCFR ? Code of Federal Regulations
    §1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.
    (c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under §1562.23 of this chapter:(1) Any loaded firearm(s).
    (2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—
    (i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;
    (ii) The firearm is unloaded;
    (iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and
    (iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom