• millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    For those fiscally minded....

:spend:

I've done it all; gone into debt for firearms stuff (putting it on credit cards), paid cash but no real budget pretty much till the cash ran out (after bills were paid) and now I'm putting myself on a budget. :eek:

It's a hard thing to do but in order to get our emergency fund going it has to happen. I'm not so hard core that I'm giving up all purchases but am going to cut back dramatically. :nuts:

Hopefully it won't be too painful. :crying:

How much is your monthly budget for anything firearms related?

:popcorn:

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    I set aside $60 for my fun stuff. It adds up pretty quick. If I see something I would really like, before the funds allow, I can always sell something I don't like as well. If it is in a Gun Store I put it in layaway, until I have the rest of the funds.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    i put debt on my card just so when they offer a plan to fix credit I can get a bail out..... if this dont happen by tax time. Ill pay my card off then. :) a lil debt is ok I would just stay under like 4k total! ever!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I mostly just pay my bills and save up a bit of the extra to buy something nice. Or I wait till I get money from crops in the fall. At that point I normally go on a gun and ammo shopping spree, lol. Last year 6 in a 2 month span...

jmo2003bu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My life runs off spreadsheets! Excel is the best program ever created in my opinion....so, my budget is all laid out that way. I don't really have a "guns" entry in there but I do have a monthly cash allowance so I try to save portions of that each month if I see a large purchase coming. The other way to go about it is to just be real nice to my wife and then tell her I'm making a purchase to upgrade our home security system :D
    And I never put these purchases on credit cards....my cc is for emergency use only! I hate debt and it only leads to trouble....:twocents:

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I have a small $500 credit card that i limit myself to for ammo, accessories, etc...and i pay on it monthly and limit myself to the balance. For firearms i save cash until i get enough.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    Someone asked, yes we are getting on the Dave Ramsey plan. I've been listening to him for quite a few months and he has me sold on the idea. It will take about a year of small sacrifices but a fully funded emergency fund and no debt, not even a car payment will be amazing! Excel is awesome for budgets for sure. I've used it for years.

I specifically have a "Gun Stuff" budgetary line. ;) In about a year, that line item will increase dramatically! :ar15: Wish me luck...I'm going to have to stay off the EE and classifieds here. It will be hard but worth it.

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    I haven't taken the time to balance my checkbook for the past 15 or so years, much less key in a budget into Excel. I guess my fiscal discipline is on back-order.

My motto- Spend till the money runs out and then eat Ramon for a while :D

just kidding....well sorta

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Side jobs...Good thing about skilled trades.
    credit card? what's that? lol
    Seriously, stay away from those things. Easy to dig a deep hole of debt.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Side jobs...Good thing about skilled trades.
    credit card? what's that? lol
    Seriously, stay away from those things. Easy to dig a deep hole of debt.
    That's why I use my debit card. I know how much money I have in my account, so it's easier to limit spending. I don't have a firearms budget right now, and my unemployment won't be going up so I'm hoping I get the call to return to work soon.

Top Bottom