• ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    My pet peeve is all the incorrect and outlandish firearms information that people learn by watching Hollywood movies. Things such as:

-- When hit by handgun rounds, the person is lifted off their feet and slammed into a wall.

-- When hit by ANY caliber bullet, the victim immediately falls down dead.

-- Bad guys are by definition, terrible shots.

-- Conversely, good guys can hit a moving target at 75 yards with a hand held revolver and open sights.

-- When guys repeatedly cycle the slide on their pistols during a shootout.

-- The never-ending handgun magazines....35+ rounds without reloading!

-- When the soundtrack has a cycling slide and the hero is using a revolver...:n00b:

And the list goes on and on.......

Hollywood types hate second amendment types like us and they do that stuff intentionally to :stickpoke:

Either that or they are just dumb........ taking bets on which way that answer will fall.

Last edited:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    O MY GOSH YOU DIDNT KNOW THAT WHEN HIT BY A 17 HMR YOU WOULD EXPLODE. I SAW IT ON HOLLY WOOD. no seriously

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    MTC kind a hit on it...the fact I have to practically be a "Philadelphia lawyer" to exercise a basic, civil liberty.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    When it comes to a "cowboy sidearm" I consider both terms correct.
    Sam Colt, who's given credit for creating the first really practical revolver called it a revolving pistol.
    Game, set match!
    I'm going to refer to revolvers as pistols from now on, and if anybody gives me any crud I am going to tell them to argue with Col. Colt!

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Several of mine-an M4/AR 15 is both a 'high powered rifle' and 'only good enough for prairie dog hunting'. Please, which is it? In movie, when actor racks his pistol/shotgun in a given situation when it should have already been racked.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    When people do that tacti-cool overly exaggerated scan thing...like a little kid preparing to cross the street. I just don't get it.

Oh, and when people stick a pen or something in the trigger guard to take a photo. I hate that!

I have seen that too! Drives me nuts!

OR when people shoot a pistol then have an exaggerated follow thru!

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Just for fun

Yeah. On the hollywood thing ...

- Everybody and his brother has one or more fully automatic weapons of some kind. Select-fire rifles, submachine guns, belt-fed.

- Regardless of the setting, including (and especially) CA, these and all manner of state-of-the-art military weapons, gear and ordnance are available over the counter at your local Army-Navy surplus or retail gun store.

- Don't worry about running out of ammo. You'll only have to reload, if at all, every one or two or five hundred rounds.

- You rack the slide on a pistol, cycle the fore-end on a shotgun, or thumb the hammer back on a revolver you were pointing directly at the bad guy's head as if to show you "really mean it".

- All vehicles explode in spectacular fashion when you shoot the gas tank.

- All suppressed weapons, regardless of caliber, make the same sound when fired as your fist hitting a bean bag or pillow.

- When firing a smaller revolver with about a 2 inch barrel, you push the gun in a punching motion toward the target, maybe to help the bullets go faster. When you run out of ammo, after say eight or nine rounds, simply throw the revolver at the bad guy.

-----------------------------------
    As for gunshop rumors or the occasional idiot coworker who wants to impress ...

- "The 5.56 NATO cartridge was designed to wound, not kill. Just a mousegun round."

- "Yet, it's so powerful you can hit the enemy in the arm with it and it's liable to come out his head! 'Cause it tumbles and twists and stuff."

- "Well, see, the Russians designed their tank and rifle ammo slightly larger so they could use ours, but we couldn't use theirs."

- "Returning veterans get to keep their issued weapons and any captured from the enemy."

- "Found an M16 at a yard sale for $400. Guess they didn't know what they had. I'da bought it, but didn't have the cash on me."

- "I don't need no traynun. Mah Daddy tawt me how da shewt when ah wuz fowur."

- "I ain't payin' fo that. I got a friend whooz cousin wuz a NavySealSpecialForcesDeltaRanger who lets us shewt out at his top secret farm. So I done been through all that."

Last edited:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Yeah. On the hollywood thing ...

- Everybody and his brother has one or more fully automatic weapons of some kind. Select-fire rifles, submachine guns, belt-fed.

- Regardless of the setting, including (and especially) CA, these and all manner of state-of-the-art military weapons, gear and ordnance are available over the counter at your local Army-Navy surplus or retail gun store.

- Don't worry about running out of ammo. You'll only have to reload, if at all, every one or two or five hundred rounds.

- You rack the slide on a pistol, cycle the forearm on a shotgun, or thumb the hammer back on a revolver you were pointing directly at the bad guy's head as if to show you "really mean it".

- All vehicles explode in spectacular fashion when you shoot the gas tank.

- All suppressed weapons, regardless of caliber, make the same sound when fired as your fist hitting a bean bag or pillow.

- When firing a smaller revolver with about a 2 inch barrel, you push the gun in a punching motion toward the target, maybe to help the bullets go faster. When you run out of ammo, after say eight or nine rounds, simply throw the revolver at the bad guy.

-----------------------------------
    As for gunshop rumors or the occasional idiot coworker who wants to impress ...

- "The .556 NATO cartridge was designed to wound, not kill. Just a mousegun round."

- "Yet, it's so powerful you can hit the enemy in the arm with it and it's liable to come out his head! 'Cause it tumbles and twists and stuff."

- "Well, see, the Russians designed their tank and rifle ammo slightly larger so they could use ours, but we couldn't use theirs."

- "Returning veterans get to keep their issued weapons and any captured from the enemy."

- "Found an M16 at a yard sale for $400. Guess they didn't know what they had. I'da bought it, but didn't have the cash on me."

- "I don't need no traynun. Mah Daddy tawt me how da shewt when ah wuz fowur."

- "I ain't payin' fo that. I got a friend whooz cousin wuz a NavySealSpecialForcesDeltaRanger who lets us shewt out at his top secret farm. So I done been through all that."
    And dont forget. Ya when I was a navyseal I carried a belt of 7.62 for my m60 because it fit into a ak47 also.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Valter, ja, aber im hochschule hab ich Deutsch studiert.

I studied a bit, too, though it's been years since I've looked at it. I know the proper German pronunciation, but if I walked into a gun shop and asked to see a "Valter P22," the guy behind the counter wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about.

And I've never heard an American even attempt to properly say CZ. It's actually "Ceska Zbrojovka."

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    +1 to the hi-cap mags when they are standard mags! that drives me nuts

also get annoyed when people use the word assault rifle for everything. The anti-gun media just loves it I'm sure, because it helps portray them as evil

And thanks to Joe the OP for the German lesson at the range today! ;) Hell, I own a Walther and I never even knew that! I never took German in school.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    When it comes to a "cowboy sidearm" I consider both terms correct.
    Sam Colt, who's given credit for creating the first really practical revolver called it a revolving pistol.

colt1870s.jpg

Colt ad from the 1870's

As compared to a muzzle loader, I could see that. IIRC, semi-auto technology wasn't around yet. ;)

I looked,
    IMG_0457.jpg

but they were all out of peeves.

:whistle:

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    When people make these comments to posters who have an interest in a serious use/defensive carbine

"All AR's are the same"

"I've shot thousands of rounds through my XYZ AR and it goes bang everytime, so its just as good as COLT/BCM/DD/LMT"

"All AR parts are made by two different factories and then manufacturers just put their rollmark on them"

"milspec is just dimensions, any milspec gun is just as good as any other milspec gun"

Really? You've put 1,000 to 2,000 rounds hard use rounds through your rifle in 48-72 hours with a reputable instructor (EAG, MD, VTAC, etc)? And your XYZ carbine went bang everytime?? Really?

These comments usually come from someone who has never attended any type of formal training, and they are relating their experience shooting at bullseyes to the OP's inquiry of a truly defensive purpose carbine. When you make comments like the ones above you're doing a disservice to the OP, just as much as if someone told an OP looking for a plinker that he had to have a BCM.

If an OP is looking for a plinker, 3-Gun, entry gun, then AOK. But stop interjecting the above comments when someone truly wants a hard use gun.

end rant, hugs all around...:patriot:

Top Bottom