• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    How would you describe your firearms? Let's say for whatever reason you wanted to keep a log book for yourself, whether for insurance reasons, keep in a safe deposit box (or buried out back) or whatever. What type of info would you track to describe your Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun?

Make
    Model
    Caliber
    Type (Pistol, long gun, shotgun, revolver, etc)
    Length?
    Weight?
    Color?

What would your list look like?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    How would you describe your firearms? Let's say for whatever reason you wanted to keep a log book for yourself, whether for insurance reasons, keep in a safe deposit box (or buried out back) or whatever. What type of info would you track to describe your Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun?

Make
    Model
    Caliber
    Length?
    Weight?
    Color?

Rather than color, might be finish. I'd include the serial #, as well as accessories or add on's (such as night sights, etc), purchase date, purchase price, sold date possibly, and a comments area where I'd possibly include notes on where I bought it, etc.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Make, model, caliber, (that usually handles the type so I don't fill that in) serial number and purchased from/sold to if applicable

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I had a break in recently and had several guns stolen. Cops and insurance people wanted...

Make and model
    Serial No.
    Caliber
    Barrel length
    Color of frame and style of grips
    Purchase price or approx value
    No. of mags (if semi auto)

I would suggest that every gun owner has pics of all guns that include the serial number and receipt (if applicable).

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Rather than color, might be finish. I'd include the serial #, as well as accessories or add on's (such as night sights, etc), purchase date, purchase price, sold date possibly, and a comments area where I'd possibly include notes on where I bought it, etc.

Would you have a separate list of Accessories and just note which ones were on which gun?

And I assumed Serial but didn't type it out. Good catch.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I had a break in recently and had several guns stolen. Cops and insurance people wanted...

Make and model
    Serial No.
    Caliber
    Barrel length
    Color of frame and style of grips
    Purchase price or approx value
    No. of mags (if semi auto)

I would suggest that every gun owner has pics of all guns that include the serial number and receipt (if applicable).

This. NCIC can hold all of those fields, which are required to identify a gun properly. Serial numbers are not like VINs, they can repeat both within the same manufacturer and between manufacturers. Colt used the same serial number range on Police Positives, Detective Special's, and probably some I'm forgetting. Pre-68 guns often have very short s/n that cannot be matched without other characteristics.

At bare minimum, you need make/model, Serial number, color, barrel length, and caliber.

I just e-mail my list to myself. That way I have access to it from anywhere I can access my hotmail or gmail account from and its not tied to any physical location. Pre-internet, I used a bank box and 3x5 index cards.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    My son and I collect firearms, so we made a listing of each firearm in a spreadsheet on the computer. The listing includes manufacturer (when known - some military arms are just described as type like German Mauser). The model, caliber, serial number, place of purchase, date purchased and price are noted (for our use) and basic description "semi auto rifle" etc. Extra equipment such as scope etc. is also listed.

Then we laid out each firearm on a mat, wrote the serial number on a slip of paper with a marker, and photographed each firearm twice (once on each side) with the serial numbered slip prominent in each photo. We then copied the list to a DVD along with the photo record and each of us kept a copy, (he has his own home so are in 2 locations) with an additional copy in a separate file.

We update this file periodically adding any new firearms. (We very rarely sell any).

We don't list barrel length, some do indicate SS in the description for finish. It might be a good idea for us to identify these items but actually they can be pretty well determined from the color photo's of the firearms.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I keep an Excel sheet modeled after a page out of a bound book from the shop.
    Inventory number
    serial
    manufacturer
    cost
    model
    action
    caliber
    date received
    purchased from
    date sold/traded
    where I traded off to
    amount or value sold/traded for

If I buy/sell/trade from an FFL, that info is mostly filled in.
    If it's a private deal, lots gets left blank.

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    I keep this information in an OpenOffice.org table with hard copies in my desk and a safe deposit box.

Make
    Model
    Caliber
    Serial Number
    Year of Mfg
    Comments (barrel length, accessories, grips, sights, etc.)
    Estimated current value

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Make
    Model
    Caliber
    Length?
    Weight?
    Color?

Make
    Model
    Caliber
    Purchase price
    Current value
    Serial number
    Photograph

I put all this in an excel spreadsheet with a scan of any receipt I might have. I also have a log to record when I shoot it.

This log has: date, type of round, number of rounds fired, mags used(if pistol), malfunctions, whether I was shooting indoors or outdoors(weather conditions if outdoors) and notes. Notes will contain Trap scores and other tidbits of info like I need to adjust sights, if someone else put rounds through it, or a description of a malfunction if I get one.

If I sell it, I put a line that reads: Sold on such and such date for $xxx. Nothing else.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I have an Excel spreadsheet stored in the cloud that contains a summary table and then a tab for each firearm with manufacturer, model, caliber, serial number, where & when bought, price, and a photograph showing the S/N. If I change anything on the firearm - accessories, grips, etc. - I update the picture.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Would you have a separate list of Accessories and just note which ones were on which gun?

And I assumed Serial but didn't type it out. Good catch.

Accessories that are specific to the gun, so night sights, or red dot, etc. I don't really inventory holsters and that type of thing. I probably should keep mag counts, etc but have not to date.

My son and I collect firearms, so we made a listing of each firearm in a spreadsheet on the computer. The listing includes manufacturer (when known - some military arms are just described as type like German Mauser). The model, caliber, serial number, place of purchase, date purchased and price are noted (for our use) and basic description "semi auto rifle" etc. Extra equipment such as scope etc. is also listed.

Then we laid out each firearm on a mat, wrote the serial number on a slip of paper with a marker, and photographed each firearm twice (once on each side) with the serial numbered slip prominent in each photo. We then copied the list to a DVD along with the photo record and each of us kept a copy, (he has his own home so are in 2 locations) with an additional copy in a separate file.

We update this file periodically adding any new firearms. (We very rarely sell any).

We don't list barrel length, some do indicate SS in the description for finish. It might be a good idea for us to identify these items but actually they can be pretty well determined from the color photo's of the firearms.

Photo inserted into the spreadsheet with the serial number displayed in the pic is a good idea. I need to do this. I have photos of most things, but not directly linked to the inventory, etc.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I just took pics of the gun, then one showing the make/model, and another showing the serial number and a pic of the box with the serial number showing on it.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I knew a search on INGO would reveal the answer to my question. I just met with my insurance agent and they will only cover my guns up to $2,500. I needed to know what records were needed. Although I keep receipts and can always find pics on INGO (LOL!), I figured I'd better keep an electronic record I'm the cloud for safekeeping.

pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville
    My log has the following:

Make
    Model
    Caliber/Gauge
    Serial No.
    Notes(this is where I list all my accessories and anything special that increases value such as a custom finish)

Aunt Dianne would love how much of a good boy I am.

This is the info I keep in a spreadsheet on my laptop, a password protected flash drive, and saved as a Gmail draft.

Top Bottom