• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • democracywins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Marion, IN
    Anyone help point me in the right direction? I am having difficulty finding either locally or online double stack 45 mags for my Thomson Auto Ordnance 1911 .45.

I welcome the assistance of any who can help...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I too was un-aware of a double stack Thompson offering. I know RIA has one. It is a copy of the Para. Para mags fit in it but not sure if they will function.

democracywins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Marion, IN
    Yeah I'm beginning to think they are pretty uncommon. I never knew they made one until I bought it from her. She told me it was a double stack before I bought it and I honestly didn't believe her until I saw it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If we had a photo or some specs, we might be able to help. There have been a few double stack 1911-ish guns that used Para-Ordnance magazines (Armscor, Springfield, one other I can't remember), and some that used the BUL M5 frames/magazines (Kimber, Charles Daly).

democracywins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Marion, IN
    It is a Para. Try one a P-14 Mag in it. If you were closed I would loan you one of mine.

So that is not the original slide then? I just assumed para ordnance made auto ordnance...seeing as how the slide said auto and the frame said para...

Either way I love the slide and the wilson combat sights on it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So that is not the original slide then? I just assumed para ordnance made auto ordnance...seeing as how the slide said auto and the frame said para...

Para may have made the gun for them. If it was purchased new I doubt your aunt swapped out the slide. Not many Co. make a double stack 1911. It is near blasphemy to many. I have a few Para's and they serve me well. Carried a P-12 for many years. Son carry's it now. Try a P-14 Mag in it and see how that runs.

democracywins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Marion, IN
    Para may have made the gun for them. If it was purchased new I doubt your aunt swapped out the slide. Not many Co. make a double stack 1911. It is near blasphemy to many. I have a few Para's and they serve me well. Carried a P-12 for many years. Son carry's it now. Try a P-14 Mag in it and see how that runs.

Thanks!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Here's the most likely scenario:

When Para-Ordnance started, all they made was a wide body frame kit. The did not make complete guns. I think your gun was built using one of those kits and the Auto Ordnance top end is just a coincidence. It could have built with any upper half.

So ... good news is, you can use any magazines that work with a Para-Ordnance P14.45.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Believe it or not, the Para's not actually any wider than a "real" 1911; the mag is a little blockier, and the grips are thinner, but it works out about the same. As soon as I saw Para Ordnance in that one pic, I knew a P14 mag would work. I keep a couple of those to carry as backups with my P12 edc. They're readily available.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We run the P-14 mags in our P-12 as well. The mag will extend out the bottom but it gives me something to hold onto as my hands are large. I love this (pic) and my P-14.

Karma-Racegun-Para018.jpg

democracywins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Marion, IN
    Thanks a lot! I was having trouble finding any info on them at all, and I don't have the Gun Owners Blue Book yet, so it was hard for me to find any definitive information on it. Does anyone know ballpark what value of said gun would be. It's not in perfect condition, but it is in perfect working order.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not a high value collectible as in Colt, etc. And the value of said piece is in your eyes. Thompson is entry level and the Para lower makes it a Bastard child. Are you looking at selling it or using it.

democracywins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Marion, IN
    Not a high value collectible as in Colt, etc. And the value of said piece is in your eyes. Thompson is entry level and the Para lower makes it a Bastard child. Are you looking at selling it or using it.

I was considering trading it towards maybe a smaller caliber handgun...I like the double stack 45 but it's a large gun to carry. Was just curious at a ballpark as a respective asking price if I decided to sell or what to expect for trade value.

I'll know in a few days when I get my gun blue book, but was just kind of curious if anyone knew ahead of time...

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks a lot! I was having trouble finding any info on them at all, and I don't have the Gun Owners Blue Book yet, so it was hard for me to find any definitive information on it. Does anyone know ballpark what value of said gun would be. It's not in perfect condition, but it is in perfect working order.

Probably won't find a blue book value since it's a custom gun. It's real value will depend on 1) who built it, 2) overall condition, 3) whether or not it functions with a variety of ammunition, and 4) how well it shoots.

Top Bottom