• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 500 mag

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Indy
    Orderd a box of hornaday 500gr ammo a few weeks ago. Was sitting on my steps when i got home today.Cant wait to shoot it. Orderd it from a place out west called Outdoor gear barn. $62.OO a box after tax, cheapest place ive found them so far.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Orderd a box of hornaday 500gr ammo a few weeks ago. Was sitting on my steps when i got home today.Cant wait to shoot it. Orderd it from a place out west called Outdoor gear barn. $62.OO a box after tax, cheapest place ive found them so far.

Are there rhinos in your neighborhood??? :D

Please post a video of you shooting that elephant round. ;)

500 mag

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Indy
    Are there rhinos in your neighborhood??? :D

Please post a video of you shooting that elephant round. ;)
    Haha, no just for fun. It was one of those guns that has no purpose other than to see if i can break my wrist. haha, idk i just had to have it. But if 500gr dont do it then it will be time for 700gr. haha Its a four inch barrel so it should sting anyway.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Haha, no just for fun. It was one of those guns that has no purpose other than to see if i can break my wrist. haha, idk i just had to have it. But if 500gr dont do it then it will be time for 700gr. haha Its a four inch barrel so it should sting anyway.

It just might do that. I shot 3 rounds of 350gr once from a 6 1/2" . No way would I shoot a 500gr round from a shorter revolver.

I wish you well on your addiction to pain. :D

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    The 500 grain is actually more pleasurable to shoot then the 350 grain. There's a lot more snap with the 350, whereas the 500 is more medicine ball/rolling.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The 500 grain is actually more pleasurable to shoot then the 350 grain. There's a lot more snap with the 350, whereas the 500 is more medicine ball/rolling.

+1 for what he said. I have the 500 ES, the 460 ES and the 460 Compensated Hunter and in all 3 weapons, the heaviest bullets you can find are the most comfortable to fire.

I compare the lighter rounds detonation or perceived recoil to be similar to catching a fastball in your bare hands, or having a firecracker go off in your hands. The heavier bullets produce much more shove or push, but it isn't a sharp, smacking recoil. The heaviest bullets rock me back and the weapon requires a firm grip to keep it from smacking me in the face, but it isn't the brutal snap or smack of the lighter rounds.

Whatever you do, make sure to watch your grip and hand placement on the weapon, making sure you don't have any part of your anatomy near the cylinder gap, where the hot gasses flashing out at 65,000 PSI could possibly cause severe damage or amputation to fingers or flesh. This is not a myth or fabrication. I used a brand new Glock nylon range bag for a rest while sighting in a scope on my 460 Compensated Hunter and after only 3 rounds, I had blown the front pouch off the bag and the hot gasses had blown/melted a hole through the top. Mythbusters did this test on a show and they confirmed that the cylinder gap gasses could and did cause severe damage.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    i love them big ol rounds! there is a gent at the 1500 that sells 700gr hard cast stuff. i picked up a box of 20 for 39.99 a few shows back and that is by far the most impressive stuff i have ever shot (more so than 50bmg). OP if you like that, might be something to check out since $62 a box is a bit steep for what ive found in the past

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've shot a S&W500 Mag exactly 4 times. Can't remember if it were a 6" or 8" barrel. Probably 6.

Two different weight bullets in the ones I shot - but for the life of me I don't know what weights they were. 2 of one + 2 of another.

That same afternoon, I shot one of these: COP .357 Derringer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My palm was bruised for over a week. :-(

-J-

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    i love my father inlaws 500 its the 4inch also i ran 15 350's back to back through it and it was actually not a s bad as i thought it would be. im now in the market my self

in my head i thought it would actually hurt but really it was not bad my 44 mag hurts worse but that is purely because of the checkering on the wood grips vs the soft houge. not the wrist breaker i thought it would be.....

Top Bottom