• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The last parts finally arrived :rockwoot: I've been waiting for the MagPul UBR stock to arrive and if finally came in. It took a while to get one on "Olive Drab" green color to match the OD green Hogue padded grip and the OD green Hogue free float forearm but it all came together and looks good.

I've been using the gun with a standard mil-spec 6 position carbine length adjustable stock, the MagPul UBR is also a 6 position stock, but its heavier and balances the rifle better, it also has a larger buttplate that will spread the recoil over a larger portion of my shoulder. I just was not sure what buttstock I wanted and believe me I looked at everything on the market, finally settled on the MagPul but then had a hard time finding one in OD Green. They must have run a big production run because over the past month they have been all over the market in all colors so I finally got one at a reasonable price.

One thing that I found surprising is the UBR stock, while a 6 position adjustable unit, does not use the Carbine Length Buffer Tube. Instead it has a proprietary buffer tube that only works with this stock. In the photo the OD Green color of the buttstock appears to be slightly different than the color of the Hogue OD Green parts but in real life they look to be the same. I think its because the Hogue is soft rubber while the MagPul UBR stock is hard plastic so the flash bounces off it differently?

I built this on a SNS "SKULL" lower with a factory customized RRA 458 Socom upper. I like the 2 tone look of the gun with the OD Green and Black but I may go back and duracoat the metal parts at some point. Still not sure about that.

P1080212.jpg

P1080215.jpg

P1080216.jpg

P1080217.jpg

P1080218.jpg

P1080219.jpg

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    You and I have very like tastes!! lol.

I have been waffling back and forth myself whether or not to pull the trigger on a Marty Ter Weeme setup or go a different route....

Let us know how she shoots!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Let us know how she shoots!
    Oh it shoots very nice. :rockwoot: I've been using the gun since early summer.

I've been using it with a mil-spec type 6 position carbine stock. I knew I wanted a heavier and more substantial stock and settled on the MagPul UBR but was waiting for the right color and the right price. Gunbroker provided both this week :yesway:

I think it will handle nicer with this buttstock as it is heavier than the light mil-spec carbine stocks, the heavy barrel makes the gun front heavy so this helps a bit to balance the gun better.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

BTW, I want to try this gun with some LEHIGH 100 grain aluminum bullets one of these days. I blame you for that, had you not given me the link to those last summer I wouldn't have even known they existed. Its on my "to do" list for this spring :ar15: But I love the description on their website, and I'm looking forward to blowing a 10 foot ball of flame out of the front of this gun :laugh:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Congrat on your new toy. I have mine for quite some time now. And it's fun to shoot water filled bottles with hp bullets. Right now I am waiting for my tax refund to buy a used ACOG for it. Should be here anytime soon, I hope.

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    I've thought about getting a UBR for the .458 SOCOM I want to build. The main thing I want to know is how a sling attaches to it.

edit: Nevermind, I found my answer looking through photos of it. Nice setup.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Did I give you any?

If not, I'll drop some by the store.

No. But how about I trade you cigars for bullets?

If you can make it, I'm going to be having a "cigar night" at the Pine Island/Schererville store on Thursday Feb 25th, may make that an "open carry" night too (yet to be determined but leaning towards doing it). Basically just an open house from 5pm to 9pm with a cigar rep there, he represents R&J, Gispert, Don Diego, and several other brands. He wants to feature VEGA FINA. Apparently its the #3 selling brand in Europe but little known here in the US and he wants to try to promote the brand so he will be giving some away to people who come in.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    looks great i cannot wait to order my .458 upper. thanks for the inspiration, now it will be sooner than later. what kind of recoil does this round have in a AR? what would you compair it to?

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I didn't get the ACOG as I planned. Wife wanted half of my refund for her stuff so, I got a Lucid HD7 instead. It is supposed to designed around the 458 Socom round so it would hold up to the recoil of it. I got one from a group buy at 458 Socom forum, unfortunately, due to too much scam posts there, it's currently shut down.

Top Bottom