• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Generally yes, or some kind of space that functions as your "business premises". I knew a guy once who got his FFL to do gunsmithing; he first operated out of his garage (not recommended), then moved to a U-store-it type place that was actually fairly nice.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    EDIT POST - shooter521 I am sure knows much more about this than I do. I would certainly take his advice over mine!!!!

My OP: (No. I know several people who operate out of their homes (basements) and do transfers, but have zero stock, etc. Now, most of them have formed a business as an LLC I believe in order to limit personal liability, but no actual store front.)

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    From what I've heard, it used to be easy to get the FFL and work out of your home, but that the licenses are not usually granted these days without a storefront of some kind. But that's only hearsay.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    IMO, you really ought to check directly with BATF and a local attorney familiar with zoning and insurance requirements if you want a definitive answer. The so-called "hobby" FFLs have pretty much disappeared in the last 15 yrs or so due to changes in law and policy on several fronts, and those vary widely with locale. You'd also be well advised to look into forming some sort of LLC before you leap into about any business venture these days, FWIW.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    From what I've heard, it used to be easy to get the FFL and work out of your home, but that the licenses are not usually granted these days without a storefront of some kind. But that's only hearsay.

That is the truth. I got mine 2.5 years ago and it took 7 months and a 4 hour interview in the shop. They want a store front, business zoning, alarm system, and want to know if your doing it for profit. ATF is taking away FFL's right now, and it is hard to get a new one.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I can tell you that I am going through the process now. It is not easy. I know if you live in Indianapolis, marion county you have to have a storefront, office, etc and it has to be zoned to conduct firearms transactions. You can get an ffl to do gunsmithing only out of your house. You do have the option of having your house rezoned in order to sell fiearms. I looked into this and it is expensive and had all the potential to be a nightmare. There are some counties I believe that will still let you work out of your house. I have a friend with an ffl in Fishers and they signed off and allowed him to run a firearms business out of his house. The best thing to do is check with the local government where you are at and see what the laws, crieria, etc are. Hope this helps.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    So, obviously my OP response was waaayy wrong. Thanks for being the voice of reason all!

Just out of curiousity, these folks that do operate out of their basement, are they long time FFL holders then? I understand current circumstances and things are much more stringent now, but just curious how they are doing it.

Thanks!

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    Just out of curiousity, these folks that do operate out of their basement, are they long time FFL holders then? I understand current circumstances and things are much more stringent now, but just curious how they are doing it.

In most cases yes.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    EDIT POST - shooter521 I am sure knows much more about this than I do. I would certainly take his advice over mine!!!!

My OP: (No. I know several people who operate out of their homes (basements) and do transfers, but have zero stock, etc. Now, most of them have formed a business as an LLC I believe in order to limit personal liability, but no actual store front.)
    I know that in Marion County(Indianapolis area) you have to be zoned a certain way to conduct firearms transactions. Residential is a no go. This friend of mine who operates out of his house is in Fishers which I believe is Hamilton County(not 100% sure on that) He went into their city hall or what ever they call it and they signed off on it and told him no problem. I am to assume that it is on a county by county basis. I do know that they have made it much more difficult, especially to run out of your home. I read somewhere where I believe about 10 or so years ago there were well over 300 thousand ffls in the US and now there is somewhere around less than 50 thousand across the country. They thinned it out quite a bit and were trying to eliminate what they called the kitchen table dealers.

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    I have my FFL, that I operate from my house, in Marion county. The biggest issue was the zoning. I had to apply for a zoning variance from the state/city once that was approved, then ATF proceeded with issuing my license.

I do have the front of my house blocked off form the rest of the house to act as my "store front". I had to supply blue prints and a detailed business plan stating what I was and was not going to do while running the business.

In the end it took me just under one year to complete the process. Ive had my FFL since Dec. 2006

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Sounds like it all depends on where you live.

As for the living in the country, it just took $200.00 to the BATFE a 3 hour training session with the BATFE and about 5 fingerprint cards and passport photos..

Besides the FFL, you will also need your Indiana Firearms Sales License and your state sales tax certificate.

PM me and I we I can share more about the actual process, fees, time frames etc.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I have my FFL, that I operate from my house, in Marion county. The biggest issue was the zoning. I had to apply for a zoning variance from the state/city once that was approved, then ATF proceeded with issuing my license.

I do have the front of my house blocked off form the rest of the house to act as my "store front". I had to supply blue prints and a detailed business plan stating what I was and was not going to do while running the business.

In the end it took me just under one year to complete the process. Ive had my FFL since Dec. 2006
    I had looked into this option. The atf agent actually suggested it. Seemed like a long process. Am I reading the fees correctly on going this route. It seemed pretty expensive and time consuming. Am I correct in saying this? I was also told that at the end of the day after going through applying for a variance or rezoning it may still be denied. My other issue was my wife. She was not exactly comfortable with me running a firearms business out of the house and strangers coming over, etc.
    I agreed with her this one time.:)

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    Yes, it still can be denied. It all depends on how you write the business plan, and who is doing the examination. The woman who did mine was really helpful in the process, and gave me tips on what to include and what to avoid.

As far as expense. If you are truly turning this into a business as required by the ATF, then it is the same as any start up. You have to spend money to make money. And assuming you do well it will eventually be recouped or written off in taxes.

For sure get your wife on board first. Luckily my wife enjoys firearms. But she still gets annoyed every now and then by people being over and calling the house all the time. Especially the strange strangers.

For me it's not only a business but a hobby. When I stop having fun with it Ill quit.

Blue River Guns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I will keep you guys informed as I am getting ready to go through the process myself. I live in a town and county with no zoning laws in southern indiana. Hopefully, this will work in my favor to obtain an FFL.

From the research I have done I need to plan at least 3-4 months minimum to complete the project.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Blue River Guns
    :patriot:

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I will keep you guys informed as I am getting ready to go through the process myself. I live in a town and county with no zoning laws in southern indiana. Hopefully, this will work in my favor to obtain an FFL.

From the research I have done I need to plan at least 3-4 months minimum to complete the project.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Blue River Guns
    :patriot:
    It took me about 5 months before I cleared the background portion. Had some issues. Now I am on my second month of clearinf zoning, insurance, and other issues. Once I get a place to do business and meet with the atf, he said it would be about a month or so after that before my license is issued. It has been a process for sure and at times not a lot of fun. But it is what I want to do and will not quit. Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.

Top Bottom