• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Thats what I thought. My friend claims he has a federal ccp, I know he has a ffl but never heard of a fed ccp.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Still need LTCH

If you have a FFL can u carry a handgun or do you still need a LTCH in Indiana?

Having a FFL does not give the licensee the right to carry, they still need a LTCH. What I believe it does do for the licensee is gives them some flexibility to transport firearms if they are involved in a sale. I have purchased firearms in states with very strict gun laws and transported them back to Indiana with them properly stored. I don't think if I was a regular citizen I would want to be caught in New York State or Chicago with a handgun in your car without proper paperwork for that state.

The FFL still has to follow the requirements to transport but if you got stopped by a LEO I believe you have firmer ground to stand on. Any LEO's have an opinion on this?

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    An FFL does not allow an individual to carry in Indiana as far as I know.
    I don't know if it is being enforced anymore(or has been recinded) but Indiana law used to require anyone who is a dealer in handguns to have an Indiana Dealers license---this license did/does exempt one from having a LTCH. maybe that's what the guy is thinking.

Steve.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    An FFL does not allow an individual to carry in Indiana as far as I know.
    I don't know if it is being enforced anymore(or has been recinded) but Indiana law used to require anyone who is a dealer in handguns to have an Indiana Dealers license---this license did/does exempt one from having a LTCH. maybe that's what the guy is thinking.

Steve.

It is just what it says, a license to sell handguns on a specific premises, it has nothing to do with that persons right to carry.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    It is just what it says, a license to sell handguns on a specific premises, it has nothing to do with that persons right to carry.
    Michiana if you in fact have a license to deal in handguns in Indiana, that is current,meaning the state still requires one, then you do not need the LTCH.
    I was there back in the 80's when we got that changed. check your state law.
    I have not had that license for awhile as I am a "gunsmith" on my FFL.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Michiana if you in fact have a license to deal in handguns in Indiana, that is current,meaning the state still requires one, then you do not need the LTCH.
    I was there back in the 80's when we got that changed. check your state law.
    I have not had that license for awhile as I am a "gunsmith" on my FFL.

There is no mention on the State license concerning carry so I believe that is two different items. I will double check but I think you still need a License to Carry besides the Indiana State Police License to SELL HANDGUNS. I have been a FFL for seven years and always had to get a LTCH besides the one to sell. If you have a FFL the carry license is free.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    If you have a FFL the carry license is free.

That would make sense. Apparently they are now issuing both. Our argument in 83 was that we already had a background check done to get the license to sell handguns and the state was double charging us. Are you saying now they will issue a free LTCH to a FFL who doesn't deal in handguns?

Steve

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    That would make sense. Apparently they are now issuing both. Our argument in 83 was that we already had a background check done to get the license to sell handguns and the state was double charging us. Are you saying now they will issue a free LTCH to a FFL who doesn't deal in handguns?

Steve

When you apply for a LTCH there is the option to check if you are a FFL and the license is NC. There is no question asking if you have a Indiana State Police license to sell handguns.

redhawk44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    SW Michigan
    Indiana requires a state license to deal in handguns? I didn't know that.

In MI., all we need is the FFL as long as we are dealing in new guns from a distributor.

We do allow open carry without a license, which negates the requirement to keep the gun concealed if you are carrying with a CPL.

Also, the FFL does not confer any right to carry a handgun in public.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    When you apply for a LTCH there is the option to check if you are a FFL and the license is NC. There is no question asking if you have a Indiana State Police license to sell handguns.
    Interesting---When I renewed my LTCH on 5/31/07 that question wasn't on the application---at least here in Marion Co. I even asked the guy taking my application if this was still the case---he went to his supervisor who said I would be exempt if I had the State Police license--which I didn't--so I paid the fee.

I did check the Indiana Code(35-47-2) and the exemption for Dealers is still in there under excepted persons:
    (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in his possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business;
    notice it does say in the ordinary course of business---having the LTCH covers all the bases.

Steve

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Indiana requires a state license to deal in handguns? I didn't know that.

In MI., all we need is the FFL as long as we are dealing in new guns from a distributor.

We do allow open carry without a license, which negates the requirement to keep the gun concealed if you are carrying with a CPL.

Also, the FFL does not confer any right to carry a handgun in public.

If you want to see what the license looks like go on my web site www.richards-guns.com and on the second page I have my licenses including the State of Indiana license to sell handguns. I was an FFL back in 1996 and had to have it then too so it is not anything new. The funny thing is it needs to be renewed every two years while the FFL is every three which makes for a pain in the butt. It would be nice if it was a three year license so you can renew both at the same time.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Choices for a license

Type of Handgun License

4 Year Hunting and Target $5

4 Year Personal Protection $30

Dealer's Personal Protection Permit - Fee Exempt

Lifetime Hunting and Target / No Current License $25

Lifetime Hunting and Target/Current Valid License $20

Lifetime Personal Protection / No Current License $75

Lifetime Personal Protection/Current Valid License $60

Retired Corrections Officer - Fee Exempt

Retired Police Officer - Fee Exempt

redhawk44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    SW Michigan
    If you want to see what the license looks like go on my web site www.richards-guns.com and on the second page I have my licenses including the State of Indiana license to sell handguns. I was an FFL back in 1996 and had to have it then too so it is not anything new. The funny thing is it needs to be renewed every two years while the FFL is every three which makes for a pain in the butt. It would be nice if it was a three year license so you can renew both at the same time.

That's OK, I will take your word for it. I live in Michigan. I was just surprised to find Indiana law to be more strict than Michigan's in that regard.

That's rare.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom