• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    No HOA in my neighborhood. I've been here 4 years and haven't had a single instance where I thought to myself: Oh, crap. We should have moved into a neighborhood with an HOA so this wouldn't have happened. Of course, it might be because we are THAT family. :laugh:
    It's those darn chickens! :D

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I am positive that there are any number of people in your neighborhood that conduct commercial business from their homes. From the realtor, to the salesman, computer programmer, and the health care insurance adjuster.

There a number of people that run a home base business, including an FFL, without a neighbor having a clue that such operations occur. It becomes incumbent upon you to inform the HOA that your home will receive no visitors, that there will be no firearms testing, that all products are secured in a manner approved by ATF, and that you will receive no packages containing firearms to the door as they will be held at a postal receiving location.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    you don't have to sign anything for the HOA rules to apply to you, moving in is simply enough

They were never presented to me prior to moving in, nor was I made aware there was even an HOA. A number here have posted they signed, a couple (including me) never did. Some people in my neighborhood have signed at closing, again I never did, never saw a document labeled "covenants for XXX community" and I was never told there would be an HOA. However as I have stated everything I posted was directly from the management companies mouth. Here's another thing, supposed ours says no on street parking over night. There's one home in particular that seems to be run as hostel with cars there on the street all night. Everyone has complained as they block the street and sidewalk. HOA reply, well, it's only there as a guide, we can't stop people from parking over night in the street, the city has to make a law and then they enforce it. We know it's there but it shouldn't be because we can't enforce it" blah blah blah

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I would try to hash things out with them yourself, but get an attorney on speed dial. If they have already looked over the documents, hopefully they can rip it to shreds for you should that be necessary. I would attend the meetings and come prepared. Read the regulations and know the standard operating procedure. If they deny you, make an immediate push for them to start levying fines on any other businesses in the HOA. Have a list prepared.

As for bring along blueprints and pictures of your safe, I would think long and hard about that. Do you really want to show blueprints and pictures of your safe to strangers? I would emphasize the process that you have to go through, how the federal government has certain requirements about the location (point out the necessary signs, site visits, inspections, background checks, etc). Remind everyone that you carry insurance and that there are numerous laws regulating your business with numerous agencies making sure you remain in compliance with those laws. How well do they know the other people in your neighborhood operating small businesses?

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Are their any lawyers around that might have experience in this type of thing around (on INGO) or does anyone have any suggestions? I was excluded from all the conversations and correspondence regarding this matter, but have had some very interesting phone calls! I'd love to speak with an attorney for an initial consensus!

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    Are their any layers around that might have experience in this type of thing around (on INGO) or does anyone have any suggestions? I was excluded from all the conversations and correspondence regarding this matter, but have had some very interesting phone calls! I'd love to speak with an attorney for an initial consensus!
    are you saying teh HOA had a meeting that you were excluded from or that the atf has been in contact with the HOA and you were left out?

either way, your statement makes it sound like it did not go well.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    IANAL, this is just the opinion of some guy:

The attorney who has been taking care of making sure you have all your bases covered and ducks in a row...are you still paying him? Sounds like he's doing a good job of stringing you along. The more he makes it seem like you have big problems, the longer he can bill you, whereas, had he been diligent and honest, his cash cow (you) would have dried up long ago.

The best thing to be asking here, is if a different attorney will represent you when you sue the first guy for being incompetent.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    IANAL, this is just the opinion of some guy:

The attorney who has been taking care of making sure you have all your bases covered and ducks in a row...are you still paying him? Sounds like he's doing a good job of stringing you along. The more he makes it seem like you have big problems, the longer he can bill you, whereas, had he been diligent and honest, his cash cow (you) would have dried up long ago.

The best thing to be asking here, is if a different attorney will represent you when you sue the first guy for being incompetent.

fig - there was no initial attorney. I'm the one who covers my bases and gets my ducks in a row. Somehow though, I managed to skip over the HOA duck. Other then that, I have an "up and running" operational business and approval from every entity regarding the FFL with the exception of the HOA. That's what's being worked on right now.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Thanks everyone for the responses and help. I have yet to hear from anyone and I just emailed the ATf agent to see if he's reached out yet as he mentioned he would. Like I said I may be prematurely defensive about it, but I just don't have a great feeling.

I do not recall every signing anything as it pertains to HOA. I just closed on the house and moved in. I pay my dues (usually late and reluctantly, but pay them none the less). My neighborhood is small (2 blocks) and I know of several business's run in the neighborhood. I'd hate to bring up the other stuff ie: Avon, Mary Kay, babysitters, the one neighbor that plows driveways in the winter (and gets paid for it), but if I have to I will. I feel confident that if I can sit down with everyone and explain the nature of my business, my background, and my intentions that would be of great benefit to me.
    Sounds like you may be alright since other people run businesses from their homes inside the community. Like others have said though, consult with professionals that deal with your type situations on a regular basis. Good Luck.:patriot:

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    I had an issue with our HOA in which I questioned the validity of the No Fence policy. Needless to say the money paid to the attorney was well spent as I sit in my hammock in my fenced in yard. Is your HOA managed by professionals or volunteer neighbors who may forget to file the correct documentation with the Secretary of State. Which would lead the Secretary of State administratively dissolving your association, rendering collection of dues and appointment of officers to have no force and effect. Which would lead to the most entertaining HOA meeting ever! HOA has to cross their T's and dot their I's to. Something to think about.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If anyone moves.
    Don't move into a neighborhood association!!!

If they want to start one,
    tell them to mind their own business.

Top Bottom