• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I just can't for the life of me interpret the gun laws here. I don't know if I am dumb, or what the problem is. Not only that, but I have talked to two different police officers and gotten two different responses..

Hopefully the members of INGO can help me out.

1) Am I allowed to carry my rifle in a gun rack, unloaded in my truck?
    2) Am I allowed to carry the ammunition for said rifle in the truck, NOT in a container?
    3) Am I allowed to carry a handgun in my truck?
    A) If I am allowed to carry said handgun, under what parameters? (Unloaded, locked)

Thank you INGO for being here to help guide me! :yesway::yesway:

Edit: I am 18, no convictions, clean record except a speeding ticket.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I just can't for the life of me interpret the gun laws here. I don't know if I am dumb, or what the problem is. Not only that, but I have talked to two different police officers and gotten two different responses..

2) Am I allowed to carry the ammunition for said rifle in the truck, NOT in a container?
    A) If I am allowed to carry said handgun, under what parameters? (Unloaded, locked)

Rifle in the rack, loaded or unloaded, up to you.
    question 2 answered

handgun, unloaded if you are going to a range, if I am not mistaken, someone will correct me if I am not wrong.

Just get your LTCH, and not worry about anything.

Next, don't ask LEO's about gun laws and expect them to know. They cannot keep up with the laws either. I had a ISP trooper tell a guy I know that you cannot cut down and choke thread a field barrel to 18.5 inches legally, which is BS. Gunsmithing is totally legal.

arbys1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    question 2 answered

handgun, unloaded if you are going to a range, if I am not mistaken, someone will correct me if I am not wrong.

Next, don't ask LEO's about gun laws and expect them to know. They cannot keep up with the laws either. I had a ISP trooper tell a guy I know that you cannot cut down and choke thread a field barrel to 18.5 inches legally, which is BS. Gunsmithing is totally legal.

:+1: Although if Handgun & ammo are both in cab the gun needs to be in a locked case. Like the one most handguns come in. And never ask Leo's about gun laws that's what lawyers are for. Be safe & happy blasting.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    You are 18 so you are legal allowed to carry a long gun in Indiana without a LTCH. You can walk around downtown with one if you want to!

You are allowed to get your LTCH so you will be able to carry around a handgun as well.

You are allowed to transport a handgun to a range if you keep the ammo and gun separate and locked.

Good job on being crime free!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    question 2 answered

LOL. That happens a lot on the internet.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

1. Yes, you can carry the rifle in gun rack. It doesn't matter if it's loaded or not. You can carry it however you want.

2. If you carry the rifle loaded you won't need any other container for the ammunition.

3. Yes, but...

Unless you have a License To Carry a Handgun (LTCH) then if the handgun is off of your property (IOW, not in your house, yard, driveway, garage, etc) then it needs to be secured in a case, unloaded & inaccessible from any passenger unless you are actually hunting or at a shooting range. If you have a LTCH then it doesn't matter how you carry it.

You need to look at the INGO FAQ's for places where it's illegal to carry, even if you have a LTCH.

Top Bottom