of drop-side cribs is
    hereby outlawed!

Lest not ye be caught
    selling one of your old cribs,
    or the king's dutiful servants
    will come and teach you some
    respect for his majesty's laws.

nc_cpsccribrecall_070921.grid-6x2.jpg

Actually the Federal ban doesn't start until June 2011.

Some babies have apparently been killed from a malfunction in this style crib. While tragic, I think a ban is wrong, and parents should be able to make a free-market decision on their own, for or against. Some people have a genuine need for a drop-side crib.

According to the article, in the entire country, 32 babies have died in 10 years from it. Each year, 4,000,000 babies are born in the USA. In a decade, that is 40 Million babies. 3 deaths a year in this vast country is hardly an epidemic. But the Big Government fanatics want a Federal solution to every conceivable problem.

After dozens of deaths, drop-side cribs outlawed

Thanks to Pami for bringing this to my attention. I am outraged as well.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The irony, and what you won't read in the news articles, is that most of the "flaws" are parental. The darn things aren't assembled correctly from the get-go. Now, how is that inherently dangerous to the kiddos? Maybe their parents should be banned instead.

Though I did avoid the drop-side cribs because of the potential for breakage at those points. All those connecting pieces, sliding pieces, locking pieces are made with plastic now. No, thanks. But I know some short moms who would never had been able to get their kids into the crib without the side lowering down.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The irony, and what you won't read in the news articles, is that most of the "flaws" are parental. The darn things aren't assembled correctly from the get-go. Now, how is that inherently dangerous to the kiddos? Maybe their parents should be banned instead.

Though I did avoid the drop-side cribs because of the potential for breakage at those points. All those connecting pieces, sliding pieces, locking pieces are made with plastic now. No, thanks. But I know some short moms who would never had been able to get their kids into the crib without the side lowering down.

I totally agree. If the quality is lacking in certain models, then the free-market will drive those crap manufacturers out of business. And like you said, these cribs really help out short people. Maybe baby will be safer when mommy is standing on a ladder. :n00b:

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm not defending the decision of the gov't; however, I would like to state that most of the cribs being built and sold are junk.

Before my son was born, I built a crib for him (even to federal guidelines). I was so disgusted at what I saw was being sold that I felt it was the only option.

Once he outgrew it, I sold it for the price of the materials I put into it (plus I threw in the mattress for free).

lumpy39us

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    and 4 times as many children have died from federal imposed vaccine programs within the last 10 years. I say we start on the one that has the most verifible danger then go from there.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    We have drop-side crib. Will I have to turn it in to the local BATFEC or can I make inert and register it as a relic?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    HUH...

My Brother and I had one of these when we were little even with the Lead-based Paint option when we were kids...
    We made it to adolescence just fine...

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    HUH...

My Brother and I had one of these when we were little even with the Lead-based Paint option when we were kids...
    We made it to adolescence just fine...
    That explains a LOT... :):

I'd much rather see the parents go after those manufacturers who make faulty beds and financially drive them out of business. If these companies are criminally negligent...throw the CEO's in jail.

.Gov should butt out. I don't have a problem with warnings for proper use...but that's as far as their input should go.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom