• Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Nate,

Are you sure the tax code is the law?

Did the sixteen amendment provide any new taxing powers to Congress?

Is corporate gains/profits what really is supposed to be the only taxable income?

I'm looking up an Illinois case where the state law indicated that "all persons reuired to file a federal return are required to file a state return. Man gets nailed for tax evasion. Jury unable to locate federal law. Ask judge for federal law - no law found. Man gets cased dismissed, but IRS has seized his property.

Illinois v Whitney????? Can't find anything concrete, yet. Need Sleep.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    From my previous link:
    The Internal Revenue Code is the law that requires people to pay taxes (and yes, the Internal Revenue Code is the law -- for more detail on this point click here).

So yes, to my understanding, it is

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    They'd have to prove you made a taxable profit. Selling stuff you already own doesn't always produce any net income.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Well, I bought and sold or bought, repaired, and sold. So how would I know if it's taxable? I'm sure the wholesale phones I bought and then sold on ebay would have been taxable. But what about everything else?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, based on your income level. I've had many years when I did not need to file since I was disabled with zero income (as in no income at all, not gaming the system to show no income). Many people with minimal income (below the amount of the basic deduction) don't need to file, but they should file in order to get back anything that was withheld that they don't actually owe.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    I'm looking up an Illinois case where the state law indicated that "all persons reuired to file a federal return are required to file a state return. Man gets nailed for tax evasion. Jury unable to locate federal law. Ask judge for federal law - no law found. Man gets cased dismissed, but IRS has seized his property.

Illinois v Whitney????? Can't find anything concrete, yet. Need Sleep.

No link.

PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF ILLINOIS vs. GAYLON L. HARRELL, Case Number 97CF89 in the Circuit Court of the Twentieth Judicial Circuit, St. Clair County, Illinois

His nickname was "Whitey"!!!! That was holding me up.

Make sure you know the difference between direct and indirect taxes. Also which taxes must be apportioned and how they relate to the Constitution.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Do we as Americans really have to pay Taxes? - Yahoo! Answers pretty much sums it all up. Direct vs indirect is also addressed in the second posted answer IIRC.

Also this link is helpful: Tax Protester FAQ

ETA: The yahoo link gives a good timeline of "Whitey" also.

The point of the exercise is for you to dust off that copy of the constitution and quit copy/pasting articles posted by aspiring CPAs.

Don't care what Yahoo answers states. What does the Constitution of the United States say?

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Can they look up things you sold on ebay and use that against you?
    I don't know how it is done (assuming ebay reports sales information over a certain amount) but it has been done. I can't find the specific article where a woman was in trouble for not reporting her income from ebay.
    It is income and you are required to report it to the IRS but there may be a $ amount that is required to hit before you need to report it. I don't actually know that either. If you do a lot of selling on ebay though, I would look up the law.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    The point of the exercise is for you to dust off that copy of the constitution and quit copy/pasting articles posted by aspiring CPAs.

Don't care what Yahoo answers states. What does the Constitution of the United States say?

You need to live in the real world. It's great to sit around in your undies, drinking a cold one blowing off, but in reality, legal or illegal the IRS will get theirs. If you do not want to pay or file then do so. But grow a pair, call up the IRS and tell them that you aren't paying and will gladly challenge them to collect any monies that you do not feel that you owe them. After you do that, please post the results ;)

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    You need to live in the real world. It's great to sit around in your undies, drinking a cold one blowing off, but in reality, legal or illegal the IRS will get theirs. If you do not want to pay or file then do so. But grow a pair, call up the IRS and tell them that you aren't paying and will gladly challenge them to collect any monies that you do not feel that you owe them. After you do that, please post the results ;)

:lmfao::thumbsup:

Top Bottom