• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Looking for an every day carry flashlight. (if there is a light area please advise, couldnt find it)

I like the Streamlight Key Mate, but its twist switch and brighter would be better.

Initial thoughts:
    - 1 CR123, 1 AA or 1 AAA size
    - prefer tail cap momentary switch
    - LED
    - UNDER $100
    - dont care about strobe

What do you have and like?

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Are you looking for something that you use for general task lighting?

Or something that can also be used as an improvised weapon?

If its the former, check this out: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...12462-review_streamlight_microstream_led.html

That looks very good! Thanks for the link.

I know this will get blasted by some tactical type BUT I view it like my keltec, better to have a small light than no light. So mostly looking for a task light, but something better than my bright smile as a weapons light. :D

A bigger light, like my scorpion works fine in a jacket pocket but I dont care to carry one all day in my short/pants pocket.

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    Streamlight Stylus Pro - 2 AAA and around $20 on Amazon. Plus "nutnfancy" on youtube practically has an orgasm when he reviewed it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A bigger light, like my scorpion works fine in a jacket pocket but I dont care to carry one all day in my short/pants pocket.

That is precisely what I was searching for when I found the Streamlight MicroStream.

The only thing that I've found the Micro isn't suited for is as a true self-defense tool-- it's not bright enough to really "blind" an attacker, and it isn't physically large enough to use as a striking tool.

For general everyday EDC chores, however, it really can't be beat (especially for the price).

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Nitecore Defender might be worth looking at, love mine. 145 LUM LED on one AA, crenelated bezel, small, momentary tail cap, dual mode and strobe that you do not care about. $65 on amazon.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/NiteCore-Defender-Infinity-R2-Flashlight/dp/B0035H565O]Amazon.com: NiteCore Defender Infinity R2 - AA Powered -145 lumens LED Tactical Flashlight: Home Improvement[/ame]

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    Nitecore Defender might be worth looking at, love mine. 145 LUM LED on one AA, crenelated bezel, small, momentary tail cap, dual mode and strobe that you do not care about. $65 on amazon.

Amazon.com: NiteCore Defender Infinity R2 - AA Powered -145 lumens LED Tactical Flashlight: Home Improvement

That does have potential. I'm a big fan of the Cree Q5 LED as well as ant flashlight that uses inexpensive, easy to get batteries. What is the action on it- Twist or click?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I've got a Surefire P6, a Z2,a G2, a Streamlight Super Tac, two Ultra Stingers, a Stinger DS LED, a Polytac LED, and a few others. The Super Tac is my favorite by far and doesn't normally leave my side. It may be a little big for most to daily carry, though.

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Streamlight Stylus Pro - 2 AAA and around $20 on Amazon. Plus "nutnfancy" on youtube practically has an orgasm when he reviewed it.

If I have a shirt on, one of these are in my pocket.

Great admin/day light;
    - cheap, not the end of the world if you lose it or it doesn't get returned
    - can easily be accessed with either hand from shirt pocket
    - easy to hold in mouth when both hands are needed
    - long enough to use as a kubaton
    - positively airport and court room approved

Last edited:

swat1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Martinsville
    As previously stated in this thread, the Streamlight Stylus Pro is a fantastic light for the money. I almost always have one of these lights with me (even when I am carrying other lights at work). It makes a great general purpose light, and is so small you almost forget you have it until you need it.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    dont forget to check out fenix they make a killer light for the money. the pd20 is 50 bucks and is blinding, has strobe and multiple other outputs if you need it to run for like 20 days. great little lights

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    +1 Preon 2

ETA - some times it does turn its self on in my pocket and people ask me why my pants are glowing. The button is easier to activate then a streamlight. Just keep that in mind. Oh, Also I have bent the pocket clip many a time getting out of the car. It bends right back. Oh and this one time I unscrewed it and it made a bang and the bulb part shot off. Not sure what that was about.

Top Bottom