• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsnowy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I have purchased my first few rifles in the past two months and have not yet taken the time to fire or clean them yet. What cleaning supplies would you recommend? Are the basic Hoppe's cleaning kits acceptable?

I have a mosin, sks, and a couple of trainers.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I made up my own cleaning kit. I do have a military issue cleaning kit for my AR. Other then that I use bore snakes for barrel cleaning. My kit containes Q-tips, toot brush, bore light, and picks. Does everything I need it to. Most kits in my opinion are over kill and some are over priced.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I use bore snakes for barrel cleaning

This. Break-free CLP is nice, but pricey. I've heard that those many piece aluminum cleaning rods can do some scratch damage to your bore if not centered correctly, and people like the single piece carbon fiber rods better. I have not yet tried one, but plan to.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I use a kit called Patch Worm. Looks like a piece of weed eater string with different sizes of beads for different calibers. It even comes with patches. I believe it was lke $10. I really like it plus there's no metal to scratch the bore.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Don't worry about aluminum scratching your bore. The bore is a very hard steel alloy of one sort or another, and aluminum is a soft metal, even in its hardest alloys. It's more likely you'll see the bore scrape aluminum off the rod.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I have several Dewey cleaning rods the plastic coated or carbon fiber ones. Several jags and brushes for the perspective calibers. Above all I use a bore guide to protect the throat or the crown on guns that must be cleaned from the muzzle. I use Hoppes #9 and Kroil to remove carbon and Butches to remove copper fouling.

I also have a pull through cleaning kit that I use at the range but not at home when I want better results.

No bore snakes on my rifles except for the .22 loaners. It is like dragging a dirty patch through the bore.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Tipton 1 piece rods are really nice, got 3 of them and they have held up well since 2006. Bought all the jag, brush and eyelet sets (.22-10gauge) to go with them too. I use boresnakes for quick cleanings. USGI for my ARs, and have added the star chamber cleaners, they make quick work of that pesky area. Dental picks are a must as are Q-tips and pipe cleaners. And since I get CLP for free, that is what I use. I hate the Otis kits.

Unless you are shooting corrosive ammo, a quick wipe down and boresnake of the bore is quite enough, with detail cleanings done about once a year or so.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I try to clean my guns after every range trip, but sometimes miss a few days (unless its the Mosin with milsurp ammo.. ugh)
    No real kit to say.. but a toolbox full of stuff. Q-tips, toothpicks, brass toothbrushes, an assortment of brass bore brushes and plastic jags, a .22 boresnake for the rifle and single six, and enough product from hoppes to start a storefront in my livingroom.

Tip: If your cheapo jag is too loose with a patch, just double up on the patches. Hoppes has small 1" square patches that stack wonderfully and do a great job in anything from a .22 up to my .45. Also, a boresnake is washable. Just tie it up and throw it in an old sock. Let it air dry for a few days and your good to go.

Top Bottom