Father kills drunk driver that killed his 2 children.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    That's really said. Now there's 4 victims in this case: The two kids, the driver (who I probably would've shot myself if it were me), and the Father who now faces time in prison and in a sense, has lost his own life.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    As a father its easy to rationalize this, as someone looking from the outside in it seems like it was stupid cuz he will sit in jail now, another way to look at this is that someone got what they deserved, another way to look at it is that god asks us to forgive, either way the only SOLID truth here is that our justice system is a joke and the penalties for disgusting acts are way to lenient. Our society tolerates evil and wrongdoing, it only makes sense our society as a whole has become evil and wrongdoers.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

What is tragic is the jump to conclusions.

I have seen someone who appeared drunk but was instead having a diabetic seizure.

Do I detest drunk drivers? Absolutely!

Do I wish penalties were more punitive? Absolutely!

But to jump to a conclusion before all the facts are in is morally reprehensable. How a thing appears may not be how a thing actually is.

People have been driving who, through no fault of their own, have injured others due to medical conditions and external factors. Sometimes these factors are easy to determine like an older driver having a heart attack and plowing into something. Others may appear to be something like drunkenness while in reality are not so.

This is why the rule of law is so important - to shield us from brash and illogical actions that can be taken in the heat of the moment without examining the facts.

Shame on him!

Regards,

Doug

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    David Barajas charged with killing drunk driver who killed his sons

would have done the same... low-life POS' like that should get a hell of a lot more than a fine and a slap on the wrist... I'd GLADLY sit in a cell the rest of my life after that.

I would have let the guy face his day in court, deal with his sentence, and live with the fact that he killed 2 kids while driving drunk. Let the knowledge that his stupidity killed kids live with him until the day he dies.

Instead of the father being able to put his sons to rest, he'll be behind bars. Instead of being there to be strong for family, he added more stress.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    I'm sorry, If i had just watched my 2 children get killed by a drunk driver, my last thoughts would be about seeing him in court... I would either be a blubbering wreck on the side of the road or a giant ball of rage ripping apart the person responsible for their death...

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    I think if you just watched your two sons being run and killed over there isn't much sanity left which to rationalize the events as they are unfolding. If I was on the jury I believe I would acquit the father. I mean he at least made it quick and humane. The drunk is lucky he wasn't beat to death.

impmouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    if i had seen my kid get run over ...it would be hard to hold back the rage that would come over me ..

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    In my line of work, I see first hand, up close and personal what drunks do to others. I have no use for them. Oddly enough, when the incident is severe enough to take life, somehow the drunk is barely scratched.
    Being a father, I can't imagine how I'd react. And, I understand how others would feel so strongly in their opinions.
    Until it is taken seriously.... It won't be taken seriously... Profound ain't it

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    If he would have killed my daughter I am sure I would have been a blubbering mess and not sure what to do. I would have checked on her immediately and moat likely not been able to let go of her. If she was gone there would be nothing left for me to live for and I would have found a way to make the piece of $h!t suffer a very long time for what he did.
    Seeing his day in court is a bhnch of hooey! He would ha e likely plea bargained and would not ha e received much of a sentence. If he did he would either sit on death row for years with appeals available or would have served his sentence with FREE cable, FREE gym access, 3 square meals a day ALSO FREE, FREE education that would also lessen his sentance and FREE medical care that is better than most of our elderly receive.
    There is no just for so caled "men" that cause deaths in this way. Anyone who kills a child or anyone else in a situation that doesnt require the killer to defend themselves should suffer a long and horrible death. I may sound like a horrible person but and eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth should be brought back to a realization in our country! Enough of the smacking someone on the hand and telling them they were bad!!!

Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    I would have let the guy face his day in court, deal with his sentence, and live with the fact that he killed 2 kids while driving drunk. Let the knowledge that his stupidity killed kids live with him until the day he dies.

Instead of the father being able to put his sons to rest, he'll be behind bars. Instead of being there to be strong for family, he added more stress.

There are way too many ppl in today's society that don't care about anything but them self. He didn't care enough to NOT drink and drive.

Not saying what dad did was right....but I can't even imagine what that would be like to have 2 of your kids killed right in front of you and the guy who was responsible for it right in front of you.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    What if the kid was actually having a seizure? What if the autopsy reveals no alcohol in his system? Now you've become a murderer.

I handle auto claims for a living... and there are a LOT of driver's out there with medical conditions that have no business AT ALL in driving, yet they still do. He could have been one of them.

Yes wreckless... yes tragic for his sons dying, not a case for blowing his head off.

Edit: I believe I also read that the guy actually left the scene to go retrieve his gun and came back... would be hard to defend against what looks like pre-meditated murder.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    ^^ True... however with our legal system, your life was not in jeapordy which means no go for deadly force.

I doubt in his state of mind he would have taken time to "smell" the alcohol.

Top Bottom