Fast Food Workers strike to DOUBLE wages.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    You know, I might be one of the more liberal type people on here, but this gets me raging. I'm sorry, but fast food is not worth $15 an hour. Period. $15 for low skill/no skill work? That any old monkey can do? Sorry, no thanks. Besides, my wife and I have made a commitment to eat as local as possible in terms of not going to chains. Better service, better quality, better experience, and on the whole they treat their employees right.

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    It's there right to unionize and ask for higher wages, it's the employers right to refuse and hire people who will do job. I've said this before, minimum wage was designed for short term employment, get your foot in the door of the work force. i.e. high school kids Why should they get paid more just because they can't support thier family? Get some sort of schooling to get a better job, this sounds like a cop out to being lazy.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't care what kind of backlash they'd get for firing all of these worthless people... but I wish they would.

Hire the ACTUAL unemployed people that are willing to work.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's there right to unionize and ask for higher wages, it's the employers right to refuse and hire people who will do job. I've said this before, minimum wage was designed for short term employment, get your foot in the door of the work force. i.e. high school kids Why should they get paid more just because they can't support thier family? Get some sort of schooling to get a better job, this sounds like a cop out to being lazy.

Tough to get one of these entry level positions. Have you seen any English speaking locals at any drive through's in a while. Chico has all these jobs sowed up.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My local fast-food joint was open as usual this morning, and had the normal mix of employees working (young/old, male/female, and various races and ethnicities). No hint of a strike.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    At $15 an hour, it would be cheaper for the fast food chains to purchase machines and robots to flip the burgers for them. Why do you think gas stations don't have people pump gas for you anymore? because it's not worth the $7.25 they would be getting.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    But, but, but. . . . . . .they're "entitled to" $15/hr to screw you at the drive thru!!!!!

If that one doesn't work there's always the old standby.

It's for the children!!!!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    To be fair I am sure that these people do deserve a raise of some sort. With the continuing devaluation of the dollar and raising of gas prices as well as the inflation that IS occurring, (despite the cooking of the figures by the .gov), that old minimum wage doesn't go very far at all. I'm willing to bet that raises are few and far between for these people and they're not tipped employees, either. Probably wouldn't hurt the companies much to throw a few centavos out there for the peons to make up for the lack of cost of living raises.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I essentially work minimum wage, and while I would love to get more money, I realise raising minimum wage would just increase the prices of everything else. I trade a raise for more respect given to me by customers. Some of them are just turds that treat you like crap because they realize you can't do anything if you want to keep your job. I always have secretly wished some retail worker would snap and go on some customer killing/maiming spree so that some of these people would think twice about how they treat people they have power over.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think doubling wages is a bit extreme but at the same time I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of minimum wage raise. I also think that just like any job, raises should be given periodically if an employee if performing well. I have a guy working for me who had been with the company for 8 years. 8 years in a pizza joint is pretty much an eternity. Unless you count anytime minimum wage has risen that guy has never once had a raise. Not one cent. He's easily the best employee I have and if it were up to me he'd get more money. Not $15 an hour but at least more than minimum wage. I understand that fast food is pretty much the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the workforce but I don't understand why they aren't given periodical raises just like those in many other lines of work.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Ugh, just one more reason to not eat fast food again. Best case (for them) they get money and to respond fast food companies double their price. Worst case (for them) they give in and end up doing more unspeakable things than normal to my food. So either I pay way to much for *$#& food, or I end up eating someones snot (if IM lucky).

And im sure this has been said (td;dr for the thread) but 15$ and hour? Seriously? My better half works as a record clerk for a cop shop and she only makes 12 something. To put dealing with the kinda stress she has on a lesser level than "do you want to supersize that"...

I really hope they fire everyone who went on strike.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    If it is increase to $15 an hour then I'm goin to quit where I have worked 8 hard years to get where I am. I still don't make $15 an hour but I'm not crying I understand that I have to work for what I want and I won't stop till I get there. I started working when I was 16 making $5.45 an hour.....like I said started. You start at the bottom and work hard to advance and make more and have a more skilled job.

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I essentially work minimum wage, and while I would love to get more money, I realise raising minimum wage would just increase the prices of everything else. I trade a raise for more respect given to me by customers. Some of them are just turds that treat you like crap because they realize you can't do anything if you want to keep your job. I always have secretly wished some retail worker would snap and go on some customer killing/maiming spree so that some of these people would think twice about how they treat people they have power over.

I didn't read all 18 pages, but minus the whole killing spree part, THIS is the point. If fast food goes up to 15 an hour, retail will want it, then your every day cart pusher, ect ect, I have which done all 3 of those, and realize that if I made 15 bucks an hour, the price of ALL FOOD, not just fast food would go up. Price of products, INCLUDING GUNS, would go up, since most retail places that sell guns would have to raise their salary's, or employees would just leave to make DOUBLE in fast food.

The price of gas would spike, since everyone will be able to afford it, may as well pay 8 bucks a gallon. If they want a union go for it, Ill gladly sit back and watch the fast food industry burn to the ground, and the unemployment rate spike, while they are loosing their job and asking for 7.50 again. But 15 bucks an hour is ridiculous. I would quit my job that I have worked my butt off for, and go work in fast food. Less stress, nothing work related comes home, Work normal hours. Heck yes. And then one of them will be unemployed because all the educated people are now going to fast food instead of making 15 an hour wherever else they were, because their 15 an hour came with responsibility. flipping burgers does not. best of it all, I would work with a smile on my face, you would have a happy guy asking if you wanted to super-size that order, instead of some angry person who hates working the register.

/rant before I get myself into trouble.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, minimum wage earners DESERVE more money? Just because "stuff" costs more, and they don't earn much? The rising cost of living eats into MY income as well, and I don't seen anyone arguing us non-minimum wage earners should get more "just because". Pretty sure I have to actually EARN it by providing more value to my employer than I cost.

The rising minimum wage contributes to the whole inflation problem anyway. Raise that, and businesses just pass that cost along. And more....

Top Bottom