• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I was at a family gathering last night. One of the family members is somewhat into guns. He told me that he had a pistol that belonged to his grandfather who had served in the German Imperial Army in WWI. He asked me if I wanted to look at it. He retrieved it from the safe. It is a Menta 7.65 x 21 caliber semi auto pistol. It was in real nice shape on the outside, but the bore was toast. It was in the original holster and had two magazines. I looked up the value on the internet and they aren't worth a whole lot, but man was it a blast to see such a neat heirloom. After seeing how excited I was to see the pistol, his mother asked if I would like to see the ceremonial sword that belonged to the same man. She brought it out and it was a beauty. It had etched scenes and apparently the name of his unit. All-in-all it turned out to be a real nice evening. The food wasn't bad either. Though I wish I had brought my camera.
    Menta.jpg

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    7.65x21....would that be .32acp by any chance? The bore was bad ..probably due to the corrosive ammo shot through it and the failure of the shooter to clean it many years ago. A gun with a history, I like that.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Cool story and I know what you meen!! My uncle had a Belgium Browning 25 auto that he took off of a German in WWII it had a leather holster that closed at the top like a old change purse, a really neat old gun, Sadly someone stole it out of his room about 6 years before he passed away!!

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    After seeing how excited I was to see the pistol, his mother asked if I would like to see the ceremonial sword that belonged to the same man. She brought it out and it was a beauty. It had etched scenes and apparently the name of his unit. All-in-all it turned out to be a real nice evening. The food wasn't bad either. Though I wish I had brought my camera.

Here is where you may find some real serious bucks. I've got an uncle that collects knives and swords.

See if you can look up the swords manufacturer on the internet for a start.

TK

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    7.65x21....would that be .32acp by any chance? The bore was bad ..probably due to the corrosive ammo shot through it and the failure of the shooter to clean it many years ago. A gun with a history, I like that.

Yes, the 7.65 x 21 parabellum cartridge is also know as the 7.65 Browning and .32 ACP. Your guess regarding the cause of the corroded barrel bore is probably right. It is really too bad, because the rest of the gun was in very good shape for it's age (90%+), as well as, the holster.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Here is where you may find some real serious bucks. I've got an uncle that collects knives and swords.

See if you can look up the swords manufacturer on the internet for a start.

TK

I looked the sword over carefully. I didn't see any manufacturer's name stamped or engraved on it. Maybe the words etched in large letters on the blade gave a clue, but my high school German wasn't too much help when I tried to translate it. I'm not really into knives and swords, but to me the blade design was really unusual. I may try to get a little bit more info for the owner.

After looking at a few things on the web, it appears that the "sword" is really a long ceremonial trench knife.

Last edited:

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I looked the sword over carefully.

After looking at a few things on the web, it appears that the "sword" is really a long ceremonial trench knife.
    Depending on it's condition, it could fit into someone's collection.

Make sure you do not try to restore it yourself, i.e. polishing - buffing. Items that are left in original condition with original 'battle nicks' and such, are more valuable to collectors.

Happy New Year

TK

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Very cool. I fixed a gun of my buddy's grandpas. It was a nazi marked gun that looked similar to a mini 1911. It's been a while but I recall it looking nearly new. I would love to own that piece of history and to know the story behind it.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    2 years ago at xmas, I received a Remington Model 11 (Kurt Cobain special) that was originally purchased from my grandfather. No matter how tight I get on safe space, this one will always have a spot.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I'd bet that the 'trench knife' is actually one of the various dress/ceremonial daggers that the Nazis were so fond of. There were dozens of different styles made for assorted Political/Military outfits with subcategories for rank, etc.

There have been large numbers of reproduction Nazi daggers made and sold over the years and many have been "doctored" by unscrupulous persons so they could be more easily passed off as original items to unwary collectors. True originals command some pretty stiff prices, regardless of relative condition.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'd bet that the 'trench knife' is actually one of the various dress/ceremonial daggers that the Nazis were so fond of. There were dozens of different styles made for assorted Political/Military outfits with subcategories for rank, etc.

There have been large numbers of reproduction Nazi daggers made and sold over the years and many have been "doctored" by unscrupulous persons so they could be more easily passed off as original items to unwary collectors. True originals command some pretty stiff prices, regardless of relative condition.

Actually both items, the pistol and the blade, are from the Imperial German Army in WWI. They are around 1915 vintage.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Its really neat to be able to hear the stories behind such antiques, In my opinion the stories are far more valuable the anything. :D

Top Bottom