• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The Century guns seem to run about 50-50 as far as being good running accurate guns. Mine was built by Ohio Rabid Fire using an Imbel receiver and all DSA internals. I would still recommend WTS however, anytime you can reduce trigger pull, creep, and mechanical energy by 50+% it is a good thing. The difference is amazing and really does aid in accurate shooting, worth far more than a scope is.

gska3873

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Northeast Indiana
    Another, less expensive option, to helping out your trigger pull on the FAL is to lightly polish or stone the hammer/trigger/sear engagement surfaces. Go lightly and test often and do not change the angle of engagement, just polish. You can also install a Falcon Arms trigger pull reduction spring set:

Falcon Arms :: FN/FAL Metric Springs :: FN/FAL Metric Trigger Pull Reduction Kit

Make sure you do a "bump" test after any of this so you won't get any doubling.

Some of the vertical stringing on the targets is inherant of the FAL when shot from the magazine. The theory is the varying amounts of pressure from the rounds in the magazine pushing up on the bolt as the magazine empties are what causes it. Try shooting for groups with just one round chambered and no magazine in the rifle and they will improve (ableit not a battle or SHTF situation with no magazine inserted).

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Took the Century FAL out today for some informal shooting off the bench with mixed ammo, using iron sights:

100 yards, every shot 3 or 4 seconds apart

Old stock photo of the rifle:

Mixed ammo will open the group.
    30 shots on a hot day will open the group
    Different mags across 30 rounds will open the group.

Overall, great group, minute of man works at 100-150 yards.

If you want to reduce the group size, limit the variables. You're on the right track!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I will say that I have never seen a reduced power set of springs for any firearm not result in failures at some point. The factory springs are the weight they are for a reason. An occasion failure is o for a range gun maybe but it is unacceptable in a MBR.

I expect my guns to go bang with any surplus, with hard primers, with deeply seated primers, etc.

Andyland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    well as to springs... The Century FAL's are made from mixed parts. The FAL was made under license by everybody, with lots of local tweeks. Don't be afraid to play with spring length. Springs are cheap. Falcon arms has a replacement spring set that I would recommend. And yes, polish the crap out of anything that looks like it might help. I always seem to get one high round out of every three to five, sand bagged or not. You can always buy a better barrel.

Andyland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    And springs are about the only thing that will wear out.
    But I would also pick up an extractor, I have broken two, on cheap nasty Israeli surplus ammo. If you have to replace an extractor, give me a yell because it is a BIT@H.
    And a replacement firing pin. I have never broken one, but it cant hurt to have a spare.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Go easy guys, remember the target in the original post is not a 100 yard rifle target, it was very light and hard to see. This rifle is bone stock with no trigger work, for those who have not shot an FAL the triggers are a tad tough out of the box.
    Those shots were about 3 or 4 seconds apart, not my best work but not too bad IMO either.
    This was all irons and mixed corroded british ammo that I wanted to shoot out and a box of brown and silver bear mixed in.
    And to the guy with the 22 long rifle question, Seriously?

I do much better with a black circle but I am realistic and like to shoot at different things for a challenge.

Many will post a 3 or 5 shot group....mine is about 30 shots.

Here is another group from late last year (IIRC). Same rifle:
    downsized_0725091230.jpg

Andyland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    FAL's are my thing.
    No I don't have a life, my wife wont let me date.
    Take a look at the locking shoulder, take the dust cover off and look down, you will see the extractor on the left and the locking shoulder pin horizontal.
    For a while there, century was milling the front side of the locking shoulder pin off to adjust head spacing and lock up. This was fugly, and didn't set the head spacing very well, and removed the heat treated surface meant to lock up with the bolt. It will be obvious if you look for it. Not a serious problem and it can be fixed. If the bolt doesn't close every time, or rips the back off the casing, you have a head space issue. And again, just yell, I am a FAL dork.

gska3873

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Northeast Indiana
    well as to springs... The Century FAL's are made from mixed parts. The FAL was made under license by everybody, with lots of local tweeks. Don't be afraid to play with spring length. Springs are cheap. Falcon arms has a replacement spring set that I would recommend. And yes, polish the crap out of anything that looks like it might help. I always seem to get one high round out of every three to five, sand bagged or not. You can always buy a better barrel.

+1...Don't be afraid to play around with it at all, just be smart and safe when you do. For example depending on the rifle, you can just use the Falcon reduced pull trigger and sear spring with an original or original replacement hammer spring and still get a better and smoother trigger pull if the reduced pull hammer spring doesn't light the hard primers in your FAL.

Top Bottom