• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is the Extent of your Bad Experiences with Carrying Firearms?

• Total voters

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I was wondering the extent of everyone's experience in carrying firearms. Some people have had closer calls than others. Some people are paid to defend us. How far has your experience taken you?

(POLL IS PRIVATE) Share only what you are comfortable with.

Last edited:

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I have only had one instance where carrying a firearm openly really stopped an incident and a couple where the knowledge I had one stopped an incident.

I will relate the only time when I felt an OC firearm saved me. where I live now (and grew up since I was 4... until after high school) is a remote area by Indiana standards. You can run across people growing drugs, or dealing in other illegal things. One time, years ago while we were on our land, we ran across a guy who was snooping around. He was armed and confronted us, telling us we better get the hell out of these (pretty sure he was growing back there as we later found and destroyed a plethora of pot plants). Sometimes you can see that someone is contemplating something stupid. While my father had his pistol in his back pocket, I was carrying his m1 carbine. I was about ten at the time, but I tell you what, when I locked eyes with the guy, I didn't blink nor did I show fear. The guy obviously thought we didn't belong there either as we weren't white (he didn't know my mother was white) but had to inform him that he was standing on family property we had owned for over a hundred years. Well they got into an argument (he didn't even know who owned the property) during which the guy didn't take his eyes off me. You could see the hate and malevolence in his eyes. When he realized that he was caught, he offered some slurs and a threat. My father let him know what the consequences would be if he ever tried and the guy left in the opposite direction. Afterwards I was pretty shaken, but at the time I didn't feel a thing. I had all intentions of firing on him should he have done something stupid. There are people that turn up dead from time to time out there, unexplained.. but you can bet it's drugs. Don't go walking without protection in southern Indiana. There are really bad people. Ever seen an old camper in the middle of a ravine covered by camo netting? I have seen more than one and they weren't for hunting...

Of course, that's how I perceived the situation back then, but every now and again my father will still recall that situation with grim tone. I think even for him it was a pretty serious situation, so I feel that he felt the same as I did, with regards to that guy. It sounds dramatic, but the best I can describe it, it felt in slow motion, similar to how you feel when you are on ice and your breaks won't stop you. You can see the accident coming even before it happens. You just don't know how bad it's going to be.

Last edited:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I've never been hassled by anyone for carrying.... civilian or LEO
    I had to draw once, as a civilian, but didn't have to shoot
    ....and I popped a few caps n the military........

Thankfully, in the forty years I've been carrying as a civilian, I've never had to fire a shot in self defense.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I haven't been carrying regularly for all that long, but so far no trouble.

Thanks to our soldiers, LEOs, and sheepdogs for keeping this country safe.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Indiana:
    I have cleared leather only one time, a large animal, he stopped right where he was supposed to. I do not run down that particular road any more. I have had town and county LEO ask if I'm "Doing OK?" while on a run (OC), smiled and moved on.

WI/Iowa/CO/MT:
    Had a few compliments on the revolver/holster combo...

How boring. Hope you have the same.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    I get "Are you a cop?" all the time when I OC, and I politely tell them nope - don't have to be! That usually elicits the response "Well then why do you carry a gun?"..... to which I reply "So I can shoot people!" :D

As for drawing, I have had to twice in my life..... once against a would-be carjacker, and the other against two thugs in a pickup truck that wanted to take the christmas presents I had in the back of the vehicle for my children. As soon as they saw my pistol come out, they promptly exited stage left!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I drew and was at low-ready on a dog one evening whilst walking with my girlfriend.

Only in hindsight was it an overreaction.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I've had to draw/brandish but not fire, and I've been hassled by an LEO as the result of a traffic stop. Before I get the frickin "cop hater!" fingers pointed at me, most of my LEO encounters have been amicably resolved.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Nobody every been arrested on this site for gun related issues? (Charged or not charged with a crime)

Always wondered if anybody had that happen. Its a good thing if it hasnt.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    While my son and I were walking our two dogs near dark, a neighbor had his two large mix-breeds in the back of his truck. The larger of the two dogs looked, in the near-dark, to be pit bull sized and shaped when he was charging at us with a low growl. As he charged the 1/2 block and arrived at our dogs, the first thing I realized was that I had my hand on the butt of my revolver. At the same time I realized that the dog was not a pit bull, not being aggressive to hurt my son or me, was not going to hurt our dogs and that his growl (while running) was a "Who the heck are you dogs and what are you doing near my house?" and not a "I'm going to tear your hide off" growl.

I never pulled my revolver out of its holster, but it was the closest that I have come to pulling it on something besides a paper target.

The biggest surprise to me in the aftermath was the fact that I had my hand on my firearm and how quickly that helped shape my fight-or-flight response. If my son had been bitten, the dog would have only been able to bite a time or two before I would have drawn and fired.

The neighbor quickly ran to us to collect his dog and he profusely apologized for his dog leaping out of the bed of the truck, and he said that he saw us walking toward him and was trying to move his truck nearer the house so that he could control his dogs. He just didn't make it in time. I apologized for not being more aware of my surroundings since my son and I were talking instead of watching. He never saw the gun because I pulled my tshirt over it to CC after I knew we were safe. I am sure that the neighbor did not realize how close to death his dog was. We shook hands and went our separate directions.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Less people have been harassed about carrying than people that have drawn their weapon on someone/something. Interesting...

mickar15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Brownsburg
    In thirty years of carrying, I have only had to draw it once.

Late at night in a grocery store parking lot with my wife and two small children. As we were walking to our truck, four young men in a car went flying by us at a high rate of speed, barely missing us. They circled around and were coming back at us, when I stepped in front of my family and drew out my 1911. I held it out away from my body so they could see it, but did not point it at them. When they got close enough to see it, they veered into another lane, and drove out the exit.

I could go another thirty without drawing it again, but it's always within reach, just in case.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    The only time I have ever drawn my weapon, I did not have to fire. I was driving with my girlfriend on Indianapolis Boulevard (US41) in Hammond, Lake County and I was sitting at the stop light in the left-hand turn lane. The cars going straight were stopped at the light as well. It was a nice day, so I had my moon roof open. I started hearing screaming and I looked to my right to see a guy standing at the window of a small SUV screaming and yelling at an older woman (60s?). Apparently, it was over her driving or cutting him off or something. I instantly became irate because the woman reminded me of my deceased mother (she was a horrible driver too). I put the car in park, got out and started yelling at the guy to "leave that old lady alone, mf'er". He did not take kindly to my interfering in his coniption fit, so he threw some f-bombs at me. I launched an f-bomb in his direction and it was a direct hit. He then started walking towards me spewing a barrage of f-bombs.

Now, at this point, my firearm is in the side door of my car in the IWB that I had taken off of my waist while driving (1911 .45). My door is still open. I am 6 ft, 140 lbs. (Super metabolism) The guy approaching me, is my height, and around 225lbs. So, he has the advantange, and I don't want to fight. As he began to approach in my direction, I reached for my pistol and removed it from the holster, I then quickly moved to the rear of my vehicle and stood, with the pistol pointing towards the ground in the ready position. I did not say a word, but, he was approximately 25 feet from me. He saw the pistol, stopped, and threw an additional f-bomb at me, and then returned to his vehicle, drove around the old woman in the SUV, and ran the red light.

Satisfied, I returned to my car, looked at the old lady, and she mouthed the words Thank You and waved. I smiled, and turned when the light went green. I never saw the angry guy again. I never called the police, but I think I should have, even after he left.

jerico616

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have never been hassled by anyone about carrying my firearm. If I am visiting a friend's house, I leave it in the car, unless I have been invited to bring it in.

I have pulled my firearm once to defend myself, but that was against a dog. Luckily, I did not have to fire as the dog stayed about 12 feet away barking while I pointed my firearm at him. He lost interest about a few minutes and just walked away. And so did I.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Nobody every been arrested on this site for gun related issues? (Charged or not charged with a crime)

Always wondered if anybody had that happen. Its a good thing if it hasnt.

The Indiana State Police took a very dim view back in the day of two teenage brothers using an embankment that 465 just happened to be sitting on top of as a backstop for their .22 rifles...Just sayin' :whistle:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I don't know whether I could even call it a hassle or not, but I did have one kinda laughable incident when I was returning from the range after teaching a Basic Pistol course. I had my "Eagle Creek Range Officer" shirt on, with a "Certified Pistol Instructor" patch on one sleave and "Range Safety Officer" on the other sleave, and I was in OC mode, as required on our range. I decided I was a little thirsty, so stopped off at the liquor store at 86th & Michigan Road for a 12-pack of Bud Light. I was only about three steps from my truck when the kid (20-something) working in the store came screaming out of the door saying "YOU CAN'T BRING A GUN IN HERE!!!!" I replied, "No problem, that's your right as a property owner." So then I went to the liquor store on 334 in Zionsville, where the guy saw my shirt and gun and asked if he could sign up for my pistol course.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom