• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    OK, I will ask. Does anyone know a good source here in Indiana for Ammonium Nitrate for exploding targets? Tannerite is fine but at $6 a pop, it is a little expensive. That being said, I am comfortable that I have a working formula for targets and a source for all other materials. What I am talking about is one 50 lb bag every now and then. I don't mind signing and stating its intended purpose is for exploding targets either. If the supplier cannot sell for my intended use, I will not buy from them. I don't mind a visit from the ATF to check that I am only making targets for my personal use. I don't break the law and have the correct stamps on my toys.

Dodgerdoob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Bloomington
    If you just want ammonium nitrate, go to a farm store. Most any good one like a White River Co-op should be fine. You can probably even get by with TSC.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Do any of them ever have AN though. It was my understanding that they have switched to urea instead of AN for nitrogen. Am I misinformed?

scooby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2013
    ammonium nitrate

hi , am new her.. am a dog trainer..i train police dogs for drug an bombs.. i've be trying to fine a place to buy some ammonium nitrate to train on. i live in crawfordsville, in.. an i can not get around here...

thank you
    john northcutt

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Wow, zombie-thread.

Very few places carry 34-0-0 fertilizer which is ammonium nitrate.

As far as the question by Scooby, buy some Tannerite or H2, the little pellets (prill) are ammonium nitrate. You can also try some of the instant cold packs, the type that are not kept refrigerated but have a dry chemical and a bag of water inside that when the water mixes forms an endothermic reaction. Many of those use ammonium nitrate (some don't).

Last edited:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Wow, zombie-thread.

Very few places carry 34-0-0 fertilizer which is ammonium nitrate.

As far as the question by Scooby, buy some Tannerite or H2, the little pellets (prill) are ammonium nitrate. You can also try some of the instant cold packs, the type that are not kept refrigerated buy have a dry chemical and a bag of water inside that when the water mixes forms an endothermic reaction. Many of those use ammonium nitrate (some don't).

+1
    and the ones that do have it are NOT selling it to the general public!

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    ok, I'm going to go ahead and post in this thread, but be forewarned if black helicopters start following me around tomorrow I will be pissed, and I will make a thread *****ing and ranting about it and probably blame INGO. Anyways.......

my personal opinion is to buy it instead of making your own or trying to obtain some chemical that is going to raise a lot of questions. Plus I'm not sure of the legal issues that could follow whether its for personal targets or not.

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    I own a landscape company. I'm going to go into my supplier tomorrow and see what I can get. Very interested to see if I can make on my own for cheaper. I do have a chemical applicators liscence which you don't necessarily need in Indiana to buy these fertilizers and chemicals, although just someone coming off the street will prob get a weird look for asking to buy so much nitrate and they could possibly deny the sale to you. Indiana is pretty lax compared to other states when it comes to buying fertilizers

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Rural King, TSC, Co-Op
    Have you personally checked with those sources? I've scoured southern IN, NE IN, NW OH, and can't find a single place that sells AN, and that's with my dad's connections (he is a farmer). Nobody carries it anymore. The last known place I know of was "Mister Hardware" in Hanover, IN. They no longer carry it either.
    Exploding Targets

10lb for $40, not bad!
    No too bad, but when you can make 10 lbs of your own for about $5 its even better...

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    Amazon.com 20 pack of instant cold packs, you can get a discount for setting it up on a monthly reorder...just verify the actual ingredients. I did, and it works fine if its the right one. We used it at my top shot shoot for the reformatory. I've been saving vitamin bottles and using that for the packaging too, but the bag with the water pouch removed does fine too. Shattered a landscape timber with 5x9 bag.

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Amazon.com 20 pack of instant cold packs, you can get a discount for setting it up on a monthly reorder...just verify the actual ingredients. I did, and it works fine if its the right one. We used it at my top shot shoot for the reformatory. I've been saving vitamin bottles and using that for the packaging too, but the bag with the water pouch removed does fine too. Shattered a landscape timber with 5x9 bag.

Bingo. He is right. I ordered this the other day and they worked great. It's actually 20 instant cold packs and was like $25 total. I weighed al, the AN out and it was 4.5lbs not a terrible price by any means and the AN was of good quality the aluminum powder coated very well compared to other AN I have gotten.

Amazon.com: First Aid Only 6" X 9" Instant Cold Compress, Boxes (Pack of 20): Health & Personal Care

This is the link to the correct Instant cold packs

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Oh and to fill you in on my journey to buy AN in bulk(50lbs or more) was a hard fail I acquired the 34-0-0 from my fert supplier and it was urea nitrogen with poly plus(polymer coated to make stable) we even tried blending in a blender to break off the polymer and it was all a hard fail. You need the lab grade AN or stuff in instant cold packs. We have a account that is a chemical company, I'm working with my contact there to acquire lab grade AN if this works great but this is my last resort in finding the stuff.

Top Bottom