Apr 14, 2011
    Reality

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    At face value, this story is outrageous. The TSA is really becoming a national police force and our rights are being trampled. I welcome other INGO members thoughts...

» Big Sis Launches Undercover TSA Spies To Ride Houston Buses Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

I would also like to hear from our attorney brethren and LEO's on the best way to handle these intrusions; avoiding arrest if possible, while holding on to my Constitutional rights.

Being employed in a 'closely regulated industry' I am more accustomed to dealing with this crap than most. I would say that we have reached the point at which there is so little serious regard fro the Constitution that I hold little hope of getting it reined in. I will say that even in a 'closely regulated industry' one's personal effects are generally off limits although they can (in practice, not per the 4th) search the vehicle, interior, exterior, in, on, and about in most any way including documents and weighing the truck with absolutely no burden of probable cause other than participation in a 'closely regulated industry' much in the same way I was advised in training for the DOC that in order to search an inmate's area and possessions, it was necessary to be either completely random or else have probable cause. Artificial randomization was easy enough to write on the report and the fact that they are convicted criminals was deemed probable cause to suspect wrong-doing. We are going to see more and more of this on the street and perhaps in our homes at the rate things are going. I could see it degenerating to the point at which not being one of the 'special ones' will be considered probable cause outright as opposed to now when it is merely considered so internally in a more informal manner.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I think Sheila Jackson Lee has some relatives working for the TSA. :):

And I do like the idea of contracting out DHS, FBI, ATF and other federal 'law enforcement'. As long as the contract doesn't go to China...

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    The press release linked states that it will be Metro PD riding the buses but supported/advised by TSA....that said, the TSA agents must be getting tired of being busted for stealing at the airports and are branching out.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    All I will say is this. If approached by a TSA agent, they better have an actual officer backing them up if they want a search, etc done.

As far as I have heard, TSA holds no law enforcement powers whatsoever. The airport is the only place where what they do is even marginally legal. No transportation facilities other than airports actually have security screenings (with the exception of some ICE port scanners, etc). If they want to detain, they better have an officer present to enforce it and do proper supervision (that being said, I'd rather have a corrupt cop frisk me than to let a law abiding TSA agent do the same).

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    As far as I have heard, TSA holds no law enforcement powers whatsoever. The airport is the only place where what they do is even marginally legal.
    You might want to check on that, beyond relying on what you "heard", before undertaking any actions that could land you in a federal penitentiary.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Pretty soon you will have to have government issued papers to ride the bus across town. How can they inquire as to your destination or why you are riding the bus? I guess the Bill of Rights has now been completely suspended.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Would somebody please tell me again why we even needed the TSA when the original goal could have been achieved by professionals in real uniforms with actual oversight and training (i.e. Coast Guard)

I know some may disparage the CG, but I am pretty certain if a CG enlisted or officer had been accused of many of the things the TSA has done, heads would be rolling and careers would be ended.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Pretty soon you will have to have government issued papers to ride the bus across town. How can they inquire as to your destination or why you are riding the bus? I guess the Bill of Rights has now been completely suspended.

TSA | Transportation Security Administration | What We Do

As far as law enforcement powers, they have NONE. TSA does authorize Law Enforcement Officers to do things like bomb sweeps, air marshals, etc.
    But the important point is this. While TSA has tried to commadere groups like the air marshals and others, just being a TSA agent does NOT give them law enforcement powers.

Essentially they are the legal and moral equivalent of that dude standing in front of the stage at a rock concert with a shirt that says "Security Punk."

Just my :twocents: though. If you wish to have your rights stepped on and violated by a group of thugs who can't even legal put "officer" in their title, go right ahead. Anyone else think that these guys are about the same as those brownshirts circa 1936?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    TSA | Transportation Security Administration | What We Do

As far as law enforcement powers, they have NONE. TSA does authorize Law Enforcement Officers to do things like bomb sweeps, air marshals, etc.
    But the important point is this. While TSA has tried to commadere groups like the air marshals and others, just being a TSA agent does NOT give them law enforcement powers.

Essentially they are the legal and moral equivalent of that dude standing in front of the stage at a rock concert with a shirt that says "Security Punk."

Just my :twocents: though. If you wish to have your rights stepped on and violated by a group of thugs who can't even legal put "officer" in their title, go right ahead. Anyone else think that these guys are about the same as those brownshirts circa 1936?

This could well explain why they are 'partnering' with local law enforcement on the bus encroachment.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    After my patdown at their airport the other day (apparently you're not supposed to have a wallet in your pocket), it occurred to me that the whole TSA search thing would be a lot more bearable if they got Tilted Kilt girls to do it.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    So the TSA has expanded out to feeling up riders on public transportation, huh? WTF!? Jerking-off to the images of your 12-year old daughter (or son for some of them) taken in the virtual strip search machine at the airport isn't enough for them anymore?

Top Bottom