• concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    Ex-trustee sent to prison on gun charge
    THE GOSHEN NEWS

SOUTH BEND — A Goshen man who is a former Elkhart Township trustee received an 18-month federal prison sentence on a gun charge when he appeared in court Monday.

David Hoevener, 49, was accused in April of possession of an unregistered firearm. In a search of his home, police found 16 firearms, including a semi-automatic Penn 12-gauge shotgun, Striker Model 12, which is classified as a destructive device. The firearm was not registered as required by federal law, according to federal officials.

Hoevener entered a guilty plea in U.S. District Court in South Bend earlier this year.

Hoevener is a former Elkhart County sheriff’s reserve officer, past Elkhart Township trustee and operated a bail bond business in Goshen.

The firearms case was investigated by the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Bureau and prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney John Maciejczyk.

maybe im wrong but i didnt know that we had to register our fireams.maybe i am reading this story wrong.maybe someone can shed some light on it for me:dunno:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    12ga is a destructive device unless it is for sporting purposes. The Striker 12 is definitely not a sporting piece. Wierd laws but laws nevertheless.
    I believe .50 is the largest you can go for a "non-sporting" firearm. :ar15:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    THE GOSHEN NEWS

SOUTH BEND — A Goshen man who is a former Elkhart Township trustee received an 18-month federal prison sentence on a gun charge when he appeared in court Monday.

David Hoevener, 49, was accused in April of possession of an unregistered firearm. In a search of his home, police found 16 firearms, including a semi-automatic Penn 12-gauge shotgun, Striker Model 12, which is classified as a destructive device. The firearm was not registered as required by federal law, according to federal officials.

Hoevener entered a guilty plea in U.S. District Court in South Bend earlier this year.

Hoevener is a former Elkhart County sheriff’s reserve officer, past Elkhart Township trustee and operated a bail bond business in Goshen.

The firearms case was investigated by the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Bureau and prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney John Maciejczyk.

maybe im wrong but i didnt know that we had to register our fireams.maybe i am reading this story wrong.maybe someone can shed some light on it for me:dunno:

ALL "destructive device(s)" must be registered, from what I understand.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    well then i guess that means my .308 is a destructive device,just like my 9mm or .45 still not sure what makes that 12 gauge any diff.does it shot some special shell

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    THE GOSHEN NEWS

You would think that having been a former reserve LEO, he would know the laws regarding "Destructive Devices" better than that.......:dunno:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    For whatever their reasoning, these shotguns are designated to be "destructive devices", not due to their barrel length, but because "they" have determined that they "serve no sporting purpose".

Meaning that it wasn't designed with any kind of hunting and/or target shooting in mind. It was designed to be used as an alley-cleaner...

And, as such, is subject to the $200 excise tax garbage.

It is also my understanding that a "DD" designation would trump it being an SBS. Kind of like something being a machine gun trumps it being an SBR. (just one registration will work, don't need 2 $200 stamps for 1 gun)

No matter the scenario... This guy's a bone-head who got caught breaking federal law. And now he'll pay. And may not ever be able to legally own another firearm again.

-J-

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Geeez... after reading this story and looking at the gun, I WANT ONE!!!

I've really developed a taste for "non-PC guns" The more negative press/public opinion, the more I want one.

And if this is considered a destructive device and not SBS, I'd imagine it would be possible to own it legally in IN, correct? hmmm... 7.5" shotgun in the saddlebag... very tempting

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Let me get this straight...possessing a shotgun that is of legal length, but declared as being 'non-sporting' is a 18-month stint in Club-Fed?

How the hell am I to know what is considered sporting or not? Next thing I know, they will consider pistol-grip Mossberg 500's as 'non-sporting'..WTF?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How the hell am I to know what is considered sporting or not? Next thing I know, they will consider pistol-grip Mossberg 500's as 'non-sporting'..WTF?

By Jove, I think he's got it!:D

BTW, pet peeve, when you refer to the firearm, it is Title I or II. When you refer to a dealer, the designation is a Class.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Let me get this straight...possessing a shotgun that is of legal length, but declared as being 'non-sporting' is a 18-month stint in Club-Fed?

Yep. Just wait until the Obama Administration begins meddling in this.

But, as of now, there are precious few shotguns that are Destructive Devices.

-J-

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    As I remember this gun had a high capacity magazine on it but was of legal length and size. ATF sent out a notice to have them registered with a certain time limit after which they would be considered contraband. The gun had been on the market for a while, I never saw one fired. There were a few high capacity,detachable magazine, semi auto 12 gauges around over the years but I think all had reliability problems. One back in the 80s with a drum magazine looked like it had been built with a lot of M-16 parts.

Top Bottom