• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • josh25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Johnson County
    I am a resident in an apartment complex in johnson county. As everyone know we had a pretty good snowfall yesterday morning. When the snow stopped I got out and shoveled my walkway, then started calling the property manager, maintenece, and finally corporate office to find out when i could expect our parking lot to be plowed. This all happened around 2pm. Lastnight the property manager called me and told me he knows I called corporate, and he would not be excepting my rent at the first of the month and I would be evicted. I still have 2 months on my contract and have never been late on rent in three years, nor broke my lease in any other way. My girlfriend who works in the health field could not get out of her parking spot and had to call into work lastnight and by doing so lost her holiday pay for the night before. I dont see how he could legally do this. Im just asking for advice and my rights in this situation. all input will be appreciated thank you.

josh25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Johnson County
    Also as of right now our parking lot has still not been plowed. And frustrated tenants are shoveling as much of the parking lot as they can.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Call corporate again, and let them know what the landlord just said. He has no grounds in this state for this type of behaviour. Then, talk to a lawyer.

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    It's not as easy as he's making it out to be when it comes to an eviction. He can however choose not to renew your lease.

I'd call his corporate again and ask what you can do to avoid this eviction, I'm sure they will be just as surprised about it as you

Edit: damn iPad typing.... Everyone beat me to it!

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    You'll want to check your lease, but I would guess that to be an empty threat. Your lease should state specific circumstances under which the agreement can be broken early and should also state the number of days notice required by the property owner. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine it has a "don't call my boss" clause.

As a rental property owner myself, I assure you, if you pay on time and don't make trouble, corporate doesn't want you going anywhere. Good tenants are too hard to find.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am a resident in an apartment complex in johnson county. As everyone know we had a pretty good snowfall yesterday morning. When the snow stopped I got out and shoveled my walkway, then started calling the property manager, maintenece, and finally corporate office to find out when i could expect our parking lot to be plowed. This all happened around 2pm. Lastnight the property manager called me and told me he knows I called corporate, and he would not be excepting my rent at the first of the month and I would be evicted. I still have 2 months on my contract and have never been late on rent in three years, nor broke my lease in any other way. My girlfriend who works in the health field could not get out of her parking spot and had to call into work lastnight and by doing so lost her holiday pay for the night before. I dont see how he could legally do this. Im just asking for advice and my rights in this situation. all input will be appreciated thank you.

Get a hold of Kirk Freeman who posts here. He is an attorney. My guess is that this guy is violating the law. It takes the courts to evict you.

BTW, why not post which complex this is. And the phone numbers to the corporate offices. It might be fun for a lot of us to call to complain.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    No way, too short. Eviction is a LONG LONG process. I had to do it on someone causing damage to the place they were renting.

First thing to do is call corporate, it sounds like this guy is trying to slack and not keep up with what he supposed to be doing. They may oust his arse and let you keep renting.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    1. Call corp again, both on his threat and on the lot condition.
    2. PM Kirk if you want.
    3. If you really want to stink, call WTHR or another news station. The love this kind of BS.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1. Call corp again, both on his threat and on the lot condition.
    2. PM Kirk if you want.
    3. If you really want to stink, call WTHR or another news station. The love this kind of BS.

Refuse to move, make the manager take you to court.

They can not use force to remove you. That only can be done via the courts. If they try force then you have a huge lawsuit ready to be filed.

Get an attorney, NOW!!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    if that guy is still working for the apartment company at the end of the week, consider moving anyway..
    someone who pulls a stunt like that will probably cause problems later..
    get a lawyer, if contract says they are to remove snow and they failed to meet the contract terms.. you have a case.. threats of eviction for making a call is another case..

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Does he live in the same area? If all the tenants are out shoveling snow themselves, it all has to go somewhere...

It would be a shame if his car/front door got buried in all that snow he was supposed to take care of, if he was supposed to take care of it, of course.

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    My girlfriend who works in the health field could not get out of her parking spot and had to call into work lastnight and by doing so lost her holiday pay for the night before. I dont see how he could legally do this. Im just asking for advice and my rights in this situation. all input will be appreciated thank you.

My advice? This is gonna sting...kiss you a$$ goodbye when & if the SHTF. You couldn't even get a car out of a parking lot? You couldn't figure out an alternative way to get your girlfriend to work? This storm wasn't some surprise. How long does an apartment complex have to clear a lot? No, you shouldn't be evicted. Yes, you should take responsibility.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    if that guy is still working for the apartment company at the end of the week, consider moving anyway..
    someone who pulls a stunt like that will probably cause problems later..
    get a lawyer, if contract says they are to remove snow and they failed to meet the contract terms.. you have a case.. threats of eviction for making a call is another case..

In most communities it is the law that snow must be removed in a timely fashion. You might want to call the mayor as well.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Cool

Yeah. I'd call the corporate office again and tell them you have 2 months remaining on your lease and the manager told you he wouldn't accept your payment. The obvious assumption would be that the last 2 months of your lease are rent free! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom