• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    In reading training AAR's I occasionally see people to refer to a class as being a "life changing experience". I realize that every experience changes one's life, but here I am looking for something more significant.

I recently took Tactical Response's "Fighting Pistol". While it was a good class and I am glad I took it, for me, it was not a "life changing experience".

Looking back on my limited training experience, I have taken some worthwhile and valuable classes, but only two stand out as classes that really changed the way I look at things on a broad scale; Appleseed and Mindset Lab's Intro to Force on Force.

I took my first Appleseed clinic in Riley in April of 2009.

This was the first formal firearms training I had attended and I shot very poorly. Despite this poor performance when I had such a high opinion of myself going in, I remember driving home from this class with a good friend and being totally excited. This class really changed things for me as it provided me with a path to basic proficiency with a rifle and an introduction to formal training and an introduction to a group of people who held beliefs similar to my own who felt strongly enough about those beliefs to volunteer their time to strengthen and connect their people. I consider that first "seed" to be a "life changing experience".

I took Mindset Lab's Intro to Force on Force at their facility in February of 2014.

Going into this class I had taken a few firearm's classes. I had taken basic and intermediate pistol instruction. I was comfortable in the classroom environment and understood what was going on. I had read a few books on Force on Force training and the effects of adrenaline in a violent encounter. Despite my preparations, I must admit that this class shocked me. I cannot say much more beyond my strongest suggestion that you take some good force on force scenario training. This class fundamentally changed the way I think about self defense and firearms ownership/carry. I consider this class to be a "life changing experience".

Again, this is not to take away anything from the other classes I have taken. I have taken other classes that were extremely valuable and have added skills/knowledge that I am grateful to possess, but these two stand out as causing a substantial shift in my thinking.

So, INGO, how about you? Am I the only person to experience such a thing in a training class?

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Limiting the discussion to things firearms related, can't say I have. But there have been some 'life changing experiences'.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I haven't taken force on force but everyone says it's a must have. I looked into going down and helping out by being an actor at tactical response one time when they needed help to run a force on force class... When you do that you then get to come back and take the class for free. Kind of like getting a double dose...

Force on force is like number 2 or 3 on my list of training I want to do, glad you shared the importance of it to you.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have.
    One was the short time I spent as a reserve police officer. I had no idea how thin the think blue line really is.
    Force on Force with Fortress Defense and ACT. I drove to the class thinking this is stupid and a waste of a day. Could not have been more wrong.
    Henk Iverson defensive pistol/Carbine class. There is a lot to think about with the proper use of a pistol in a defensive situation.
    Henk Iverson/ Fortress Defense Vehicle tactics class. That was a good time and learned a ton.
    Hanging around Rhino and being conformed into things that I had previously thought were stupid.
    I am signed up for a Bob Vogel class this May. I hope it is life changing.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    class that was a life changing experience? Hmmmm.... took a BJJ class in Florida. I had some pretty extensive MA experience , prior (Sho-Karate, TKD, Judo) tournaments, ect, 6'1, 210lbs. Thought I was hot ****. Instructor pairs me with a 14 year old kid. I'm offended. Instructor's only requirement is that I don't overpower the kid, and rely solely on technique. 14 year old puts down an EPIC and thorough thrashing of Ole Kut. Opened my eyes big time.

wva3470

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Several Different "Life Changing classes/events" for me. Events- Becoming a Police Officer and seeing what "some" people are actually capable of doing to themselves or others, even in a relatively small community. I have been on the trigger and half a squeeze away from shooting someone.
    Training- Tactical Response was a huge turning point for me. I have taken their Fighting Pistol, Fighting Rifle, Advanced Fighting Pistol, and The Fight (FoF). There was something in each class that "clicked" and made sense. The classes made me rethink the way I do many things. Another is training officers and them being involved in a shooting, and surviving the lawsuits.

Every person has different beliefs in the way they train, or how they train, including preconceived ideas of what they will take away from the training.

Bill

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    USMC basic training was pretty life-changing. Tried to rep kutnupe14, finding BJJ was definitely life-changing, but mods must be TKD trolls because they won't let me. A class from Cedartop changed the whole way I think of the pistol.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    USMC basic training was pretty life-changing. Tried to rep kutnupe14, finding BJJ was definitely life-changing, but mods must be TKD trolls because they won't let me. A class from Cedartop changed the whole way I think of the pistol.

I started out in BJJ a short time after Royce Gracie laid the smackdown on fighters in the first few UFCs. I found it baffling that a guy that small, could take down guys who were legit professionals in their arts. I would have sworn Shamrock would have mopped the floor with him.... yeah, I'm glad I was placing any bets. So, I started out trying to figure out the art, and promptly got my *** handed to me by a boy who couldn't even legally buy cigarettes.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    After my honeymoon in Honduras, where my new wife must have looked appealing to the local whack jobs, I took a class that changed mine. When we got home, I signed up for a defensive knife class. Since I can't take a firearm with me when we travel out of the country I figured it would be a worthwhile class. I had grappling and some hand to hand prior to the DK class, man did that class up my confidence.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    After my honeymoon in Honduras, where my new wife must have looked appealing to the local whack jobs, I took a class that changed mine. When we got home, I signed up for a defensive knife class. Since I can't take a firearm with me when we travel out of the country I figured it would be a worthwhile class. I had grappling and some hand to hand prior to the DK class, man did that class up my confidence.

I've always wanted to take a knife fighting class in the Silat style, and sticks in the Kali style.... but alas, I'm in Indiana :(

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'll second both Appleseed and Mindset Labs' Intro to FoF being worth it. Appleseed wasnt so much life changing as it was life affirming. The history lesson of that fateful day combined with building upon the rifle skills I already had were very beneficial.

Mindset FoF was a VERY big eye opener. And I would consider it life changing. It drove home the point that you have to act, and you have to act BIG and with determination. Create your own opening. Dont wait for one or else you may not walk away. (And NEVER stop fighting) I dont look at scenarios or situations the same anymore. I was pretty SA before, now even more so.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    My son who is 15 years old has been studying Okinowan Matsumura Shorin Ryu for about 11 years now and has attained his 1st Dan.
    He has handed out a few life changing experiences to some older guys thinking they are the sizzle and this kid can't touch me.
    Well last summer I took him to the local judo classes and he was enthusiastic about learning something new. They welcomed him and loaned him a judo gei and put him in the class. Lucky for him it was sparing night. In seconds my kid was on the ground twisted up by a kid 25 lbs lighter than him. My son tapped out more than once that night. They twisted, bruised, tortured, made his eyes water up and just beat his ass. On the way home I asked him are we going back again ?
    We have gone back a few times when he is here in Indiana, he have a new understanding of different skills for different needs.
    It I believe was his first life altering experience.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    My son who is 15 years old has been studying Okinowan Matsumura Shorin Ryu for about 11 years now and has attained his 1st Dan.
    He has handed out a few life changing experiences to some older guys thinking they are the sizzle and this kid can't touch me.
    Well last summer I took him to the local judo classes and he was enthusiastic about learning something new. They welcomed him and loaned him a judo gei and put him in the class. Lucky for him it was sparing night. In seconds my kid was on the ground twisted up by a kid 25 lbs lighter than him. My son tapped out more than once that night. They twisted, bruised, tortured, made his eyes water up and just beat his ass. On the way home I asked him are we going back again ?
    We have gone back a few times when he is here in Indiana, he have a new understanding of different skills for different needs.
    It I believe was his first life altering experience.

Nothing says "you do not know everything" quite like someone choking you out with your own shirt.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I have taken FoF a few times with ACT(once was ACT hosting fortress defense). If you haven't taken an FoF...you should

Each time I have taken a class from Mercop is an eye opening experience

Hanging around Rhino...life changing experience on more than one level

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    My first Tactical Pistol (pre Fighting Pistol) class with Tactical Response. It had more content than I could digest and a very different Mindset from the other classes I had taken. I've taken lots of training since then, but that particular class did change my life.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    FBI Negotiators Course, Center Axis Relock Basic Course. Toughest physical course was Mountain Bike Patrol Course. That is out of about 40+ specialized courses.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    FBI Negotiators Course, Center Axis Relock Basic Course. Toughest physical course was Mountain Bike Patrol Course. That is out of about 40+ specialized courses.

My brothers-in-law once wanted me to take a CAR course. The few videos there are on YouTube about it (Or were when I looked) all made it seem quite hinkey, gimmicky, and all but useless for me as an average joe civilian who isn't LEO or going to be boardign an airliner to shoot terrorists in the face.

Top Bottom