• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    I mounted a scope with see-thru mounts on a Marlin 39A lever action. I wanted to shoot it and see where I was hitting. I drove to my aunts property to shoot. I parked in the field and got out. About 5o yards away was a small group of black birds feeding in a mowed field. I laid the rifle accross my hood and put the scope right on the middle black bird. I squeezed a round off and WOOOOOMP!!!!!! Shot my hood. I inspected the damage, a small det where the bullet skimmed the surface. It would be nice to forget about this little mishap but everytime I look thru the windshield its looking back at me........sheeeeeeeeeesh!

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    I havent but a buddy of mine bought me a new truck hood once. Put an SKS round thru and back out my hood. We were just glad it decided to come back oput instead of hitting the engine! He caught a lot of slack for that one too. Another guy even wanted to set it up town on the side of the street with RIP this hood killed by on it it was quite funny at the time. We didnt do it though that woyuld have been funny though.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    :rofl:sorry dude but you just made my night ...

hate to hear of your misfortune , but that kinda reminds me of a Jeff Foxworthy you might be a redneck joke :laugh::D

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS atleast boresight a new scope before you shoot it ..

NEVER EVER EVER NEVER lay your gun across the hood of your truck to shoot it :twocents::patriot:

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I mounted a scope with see-thru mounts on a Marlin 39A lever action. I wanted to shoot it and see where I was hitting. I drove to my aunts property to shoot. I parked in the field and got out. About 5o yards away was a small group of black birds feeding in a mowed field. I laid the rifle accross my hood and put the scope right on the middle black bird. I squeezed a round off and WOOOOOMP!!!!!! Shot my hood. I inspected the damage, a small det where the bullet skimmed the surface. It would be nice to forget about this little mishap but everytime I look thru the windshield its looking back at me........sheeeeeeeeeesh!
    My dad did that to a '67 Camaro...

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    bushpostpicturesmall.jpg

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    I was out shooting prairie dogs with an older gentleman who decided to use the door of the p-up for a rest. He clean missed a dog and we wondered what had happened... until we got back to the house and saw that he had pulled the muzzle back far enough that the round had gone through the door skin (the window was down).

We gave him a lot of ribbing about that but since it was a ranch truck we just took a ball peen hammer and dressed the hole up a bit to keep anyone from getting cut on it.

I have known guys who shot their hoods... Another who put a .22lr round through his brother's windshield while they were bouncing across a field.

Buckaroo

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Well, from your username, it appears you drive a Ford. It could've been a lot worse. At least it was only a Ford ;)

You say that but yet right now Ford is the only one of the big 3 not controlled by the gov and making money...:rockwoot:

As for that happening, no I've never done it, I've been way too careful for that and at least boresight a scope before ever trying to shoot something with it, lol.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    My little brother was sigting in a new 10/22 on a portable bench. I noticed a rabbit and told him about it he stood up and took a shoot and missed. I started to laugh and he said he just need to support it so he laid the rifle across the bed rail of my Dads Truck fired and all I heard is a loud "Ping" he hit the other bed rail funny thing was he was so set on getting that rabbit he was starting to do a follow up shot before I yelled at him to stop.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I sympathize with you sir, besides being a Ford man too.

The last deer I put down was an eight pointer. Not a pretty rack. The doe he was after damn near come close enough to shake hands with me. I was sitting in a fall down. After 20 minutes of deciding whether this was my buck for this year, I decided I was sick of not filling paid for tags.

The buck turned, I shot, all breadbasket hair, with 3 power scope at 40 yards. Waited 15 minutes and went to check it out. Halfway to the shot I made, I looked back to check my position. I noticed a limb in front of my position had been cut in half. The shot was still good. Lesson learned though, the scope does ride 1 1/2" higher than the bore. At close range that does matter.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    It would be nice to forget about this little mishap but everytime I look thru the windshield its looking back at me........sheeeeeeeeeesh!

It's a lot easier to forget if you don't tell everyone, same applies to using your rifle case as a rest so I've heard. I'd never admit it or own up to either one if I were you.

renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    My cousin put his loaded 12 guage on the bench seat of his truck while knocking the mud off his boots. It slid off the seat and went off putting a dear slug through the passinger door. Almost kill his dad on the other side. He was in his 20s at the time. Should have learned safty along time before then. :ugh:

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Before I post this. I Know I was totally going against gun rules and a lot of other rules. I know I did wrong. So do NOT scold me. I've learned my lesson already and don't need anyone telling I was in the wrong. I did this when I was in my younger and stupid years and to be honest my buddy and I are very very lucky no one was hurt or even killed when I did this.

Anyways to the actual story.

My buddy and I was deer hunting in the back of his property. I was carrying a single shot 12 ga. Well it got late and we were not seeing any deer so we packed up. For some reason I was standing in the back of my buddies chevy truck while we drove back to the road. His lights caught a deer so my buddy slowed down and told me to take a shot. So I propped my shotgun on top of the cab of the truck. When I went to shoot he hit a hole and I fell back and my gun went off. The slug went through the back window and out the front windshield literally a foot or so away from my buddies head. Scared the :poop: out of us and he couldn't hear out of his ear for the longest time.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Before I post this. I Know I was totally going against gun rules and a lot of other rules. I know I did wrong. So do NOT scold me. I've learned my lesson already and don't need anyone telling I was in the wrong. I did this when I was in my younger and stupid years and to be honest my buddy and I are very very lucky no one was hurt or even killed when I did this.

You and your buddy were stupid and wrong.

I have a buddy that, in Jr. high school took one in his deltoid and it bounced around and came out of his peck...

He and two of his buddies were tripping acid and one of his buddies (at the time) pulled out a .22lr and shot it through a really thin door and caught him...I couldn't imagine.

He doesn't do that crap anymore, he was just young and stupid.

(BTW, I have never, nor would I ever touch that crap...We weren't even friends at the time)

Top Bottom