• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • speedsix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    fort wayne
    I had a snub and a old sweatshirt so I tried it out. It caught the sweatshirt on fire. Just in case you have a snub nose, you can fire it in your pocket but you may have to put out the flames.

beevans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Speedway
    Hell of a thing to test. Assuming this was at home and not at a range? After reading this and the thread about accidentally shooting inside the house, it's incredible that more people don't die from accidental shots.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    No. That sounds like a good argument for using a revolver instead of a semi-auto. Not to mention, fire-retardant panties...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Being able to fire the weapon while still being in the pocket is one of the advantages of a revolver instead of an auto. This is especially true with the concealed hammer models. I have never tried it myself. I suppose if a person ever had to use this tactic setting your clothes on fire would be the least of your concerns.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Being able to fire the weapon while still being in the pocket is one of the advantages of a revolver instead of an auto. This is especially true with the concealed hammer models. I have never tried it myself. I suppose if a person ever had to use this tactic setting your clothes on fire would be the least of your concerns.

Yeah - cause then all you have to do is run toward the "target" and catch them on fire.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Tried this with an old jacket when I was practicing point shooting. Had an old jacket, stuffed snub into pocket (normal carrying place in winter) and did my drills. MUCH harder to point shoot this way, but works and can serve a great purpose in "getting the drop" on the bad dude. Thing is, you gotta move after that first round comes out, becuase if they have a gun, they will begin shooting as well.

After one or two rounds, I would then begin moving, getting the pistol clear of the pocket and begin regular move/shoot. For those claiming stupid should hurt, this is a really good practice with a spin gun for defense. The Goodwill is a great place to get junk jackets for practice. I actually watered the pocket and jacket area down to prevent the fire, as mentioned in the OP.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Tried this with an old jacket when I was practicing point shooting. Had an old jacket, stuffed snub into pocket (normal carrying place in winter) and did my drills. MUCH harder to point shoot this way, but works and can serve a great purpose in "getting the drop" on the bad dude. Thing is, you gotta move after that first round comes out, becuase if they have a gun, they will begin shooting as well.

After one or two rounds, I would then begin moving, getting the pistol clear of the pocket and begin regular move/shoot. For those claiming stupid should hurt, this is a really good practice with a spin gun for defense. The Goodwill is a great place to get junk jackets for practice. I actually watered the pocket and jacket area down to prevent the fire, as mentioned in the OP.

Exactly... I don't think the OP was stupid at all. Very useful tactic and at least the OP was practicing it. He now knows that fire is a possibly after-effect that he may have to contend with once the threat is stopped.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Good points. If it works for you that's all that matters.
    I don't carry in that way, but if I did I would much rather shoot up and burn some easily replaced clothing as opposed to getting stabbed ect.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Combat Handguns did a test of this many years ago. Their advice was that if you have to shoot through your coat pocket you better be ready to get out of the coat.

Top Bottom