• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Posting a gun for sale for $XXX and someone says, what's your bottom dollar? I thought if I had a price on it, that is what I wanted, and if you didn't want to pay that, then you made your highest offer.

I understand trying to get a deal, but it is not a buyers market, and trying to negotiate like this generally means to me you don't have even close to enough money to buy what you are looking for.

I don't mind haggling, or even getting low ball offers, but get annoyed with the phrases, "What is the least you will take?", or, "What is your bottom dollar?".

Classifieds are not pawn shops. LOL

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Part of the give and take of selling and buying. There are far worse things people can ask.

I would rather someone offer me $100 for a $1000 gun than hear what is the least you will take. I am not meaning to come off as a jerk by any means, because I am still not rude to them. I know they are trying to get a deal, I try too, but I don't like the way the bottom dollar comes across.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have seen many people say they always list an item priced on the high side so they have room to negotiate. Everybody wants the best deal they can get. That is just another way to find a starting point. I am sure you do pretty well with it, I seem to remember you having sold more than a few items between here and facebook groups. I try not to sell stuff any more, just keep it to trading. Easier for me that way.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I cannot think of a better question to ask someone selling something, I ask it all the time. I don't want to haggle, what's your bottom dollar? I would much rather be asked that than someone offer me 60% of what it is truly worth.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    When they ask "bottom dollar" it's almost like you owe it to them to give them a deal. I don't mind getting a lower offer because you can say yes or no. I think bottom dollar is what's listed in the ad.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I cannot think of a better question to ask someone selling something, I ask it all the time. I don't want to haggle, what's your bottom dollar? I would much rather be asked that than someone offer me 60% of what it is truly worth.

I don't want to haggle, either, so let's start with your "top dollar".

I'm with the op, that question will immediately end my interest in doing business with the person who asks.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    I have seen many people say they always list an item priced on the high side so they have room to negotiate. Everybody wants the best deal they can get. That is just another way to find a starting point. I am sure you do pretty well with it, I seem to remember you having sold more than a few items between here and facebook groups. I try not to sell stuff any more, just keep it to trading. Easier for me that way.

Usually I do price for a little more than I want so they can hit me a lower offer. The only reason I do that is because if I put what I want they will hit me lower again. I don't mind coming down a bit, but it is just the presentation like I am selling to cover my liver transplant lol.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Here's the negotiation dance:

Question: How much will you give me for it?
    Answer: The least you will take.

Question: How much will you take for it?
    Answer: As much as you will give me.

But yes, generally it is on the purchaser to make an offer, not on the seller to offer a price beyond what they have already posted.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Here's the negotiation dance:

Question: How much will you give me for it?
    Answer: The least you will take.

Question: How much will you take for it?
    Answer: As much as you will give me.

But yes, generally it is on the purchaser to make an offer, not on the seller to offer a price beyond what they have already posted.

Exactly:+1:

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN

With that being said...I'm seeing several listings lately that you could offer 50% of the asking price and you'd feel good and they'd even make a profit.
    Well, unless they are trying to recoup on their panic buy.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    With that being said...I'm seeing several listings lately that you could offer 50% of the asking price and you'd feel good and they'd even make a profit.
    Well, unless they are trying to recoup on their panic buy.

Who would have thought my Gen 3 Glock with night sites would be worth $250 less than a Shield?

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    There is a distinct "culture" here in Indiana that a buyer is afraid he will not get the best deal he could, so he will ask you to keep bidding against yourself.

What is infuriating is, if you respond with your best price, he will still walk away from the deal. It makes me feel foolish.

So, when I post a price, I stick with it until I hear a number from the other side. It means that they really are interested. It eliminates the lookeeloo convesationalists. It makes me feel better.

It is better to melt the gun down to scrap iron than counter your own offer.

This I know as fact.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    The obvious counter is; what is the highest amount are you willing to pay?

What he said.
    My favorite question is : how firm is the price? I always tell them that they can pay me as much as they want over what i am asking.

I dont mind the bargaining or haggling part. Stupid questions **** me off with a quickness. I dont sell things because i need money. I stick to a budget and go to work everyday because i need money. Selling things is because i no longer use, or want an item.

Top Bottom