• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ashenfang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Ever feel weird carrying out of state?

Just curious for those who have when on vacation. The states we have traveled all honor Indiana's permit, except for one, which the gun went into locked storage as we crossed that state. I guess it just feels different when in another state. Is it natural to feel this way? Wife seems to think its because one might not feel as "confident" in those states laws and code as they do with the ones in their home state.

Last edited:

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    mostly no. i live near the ohio border, and when I'm on a bike cruise, or need to run errands, I have to remind myself I can't drift across as I don't have a Utah license. one of the things i've been meaning to fix.

there is some book the NRA touts, that has all 50 state gun laws, maybe knowledge will help you out.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Just curious for those who have when on vacation. The states we have traveled all honor Indiana's permit, except for one, which the gun went into locked storage as we crossed that state. I guess it just feels different when in another state. Is it natural to feel this way? Wife seems to think its because one might not feel as "confident" in those states laws and code as they do with the ones in their home state.

A little bit, but I've gotten used to it. Most of my travel has been between here and FL, with carry during travel, with most of the stay and carry time being in FL. However, I grew up in FL, and my brother still lives there and carries every day himself, so not much concern.

Question is, would you feel even more uncomfortable not carrying while on vacation? I would definitely be more uncomfortable not carrying.

ashenfang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    A little bit, but I've gotten used to it. Most of my travel has been between here and FL, with carry during travel, with most of the stay and carry time being in FL. However, I grew up in FL, and my brother still lives there and carries every day himself, so not much concern.

Question is, would you feel even more uncomfortable not carrying while on vacation? I would definitely be more uncomfortable not carrying.

Excellent question. I had my LTCH years ago and let it expire, though, have since obtained my new license. But back then, I rarely carried. Now, with all these crazy things happening I feel it even more important to carry when I can to protect my family. Even though I knew it was legal to bring my pistol (and carry) it with me where we were going, I almost didn't. But then I thought, I would hate to be somewhere where something happens where my sidearm was needed.

I am still new to carrying and getting used to it. I carry concealed for now but will eventually work up to open carry. Sucky part is there are quite a few businesses around that have "No weapons" signs posted so open carry there wouldn't work.

-Havok,

I believe the book you are speaking of is "Travelers guide to the firearm laws of the fifty states" I picked up a copy before we left. It is indeed a very good handbook. Though it doesn't go over complete specifics, it gives you enough information to keep you legal. I picked it up for $13 at the local gun store.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Sadly I haven't had the opportunity to carry out of state yet. I've only had my larry for 6 months and I've been too busy with work to travel. Fortunately my home state of PA is pretty gun- friendly so I'm looking forward to carrying on the next trip back to see the folks.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I've carried in KY, WI, FL, LA, and TN and been armed while driving through several other states where is was legal for me to carry. I never felt different while I was doing so. It is a bit of a hassle when you're carrying in places with different and unfamiliar laws. Looking out for gun buster signs sucks!

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    When the laws are different you need to know. In IN you can carry into a bar and have a beer with your burger then leave. In KY you can't even carry in the restraunt section that is considered "the bar". Sometimes the waitress in Outback Steakhouse will try to do you a favor and say " oh we have booth here in the bar area", in KY that would be illegal for a CCW to be in the "Bar Area". I have an app called CCW on Android, it stays up to date and has all this information on every state. Must inform states, you need to know which are and which are not. What really makes me more nervous is knowing that if I ever had to use it, the jury of my peers in that state might see me as an outsider shooting one of their own when they vote on my charges. My Cousin Vinny comes to mind. Your from out of state, you shot one of their good old boys, there's no way this was not going to go to trial.

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    I have LTCH and a Florida nonresident CW license. I feel uncomfortable sometimes because I've watched some youtube LEO's go psycho.

I make it a point to remind myself to conceal (required by somes states) and to notify (required by some states) if I'm ever stopped, which I haven't been.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I thought I read (???) somewhee that a legally licensed person could pass through Ilinois, without stopping , of course, while carrying concealed.

will somebody enlighen me.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I have carried in several states while travelling for business. Have IN + Utah Non-resident. Always consult several web sites for information on laws on all states I intend to pass through or stay. Print the information, study prior to travel and carry with me for reference. I normally carry concealled anyway.
    Had one occurance I hadn't anticipated: In Ohio, No Guns signs have legal bearing. When I went to check in at the motel where I had reservations, there was a "no guns" sign prominantly displayed at the entrance. This was not noted on the website when I made the reservation. I stashed the pistol and holster in my suitcase before entering. After leaving, I did send a letter to Hoiliday Inn explaining the situation and asking that such restrictions be noted in the hotel information so others would be put on notice. This was a franchise motel and was likely a franchise policy as I have never encountered such a sign before or since.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Nope, feels the same no matter where I go. I will place the pistol/holster in the door if we are on a long drive to our vacation destination. However, there are a few "no gun" places in NYC and I don't think they have lockers to lock them up while visiting (Empire State Building, Rockefeller Square, Javits Center) so I have to leave the pistol at hotel.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It feels weird carrying in the few states that prohibit open carry - like I'm doing something naughty that must be hidden. :shady:

I really try to avoid the excessively restrictive states completely.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    It felt weird going to WI for my first anniversary. I ignored the feeling and carried on. Kind of a good thing I did, the last night we were there, it sounded like some drunk down the hall started beating on a girl.

Top Bottom