• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Long story short, dad's craptastic Fobus dropped the 5906 hammer first on the concrete sidewalk :n00b: Talk about scary as all get out! Took it apart and function tested it and everything works like it is supposed to. Good thing S&W made the 5906 a tank.

Anyone have experiences dropping a gun? Anyone have any stories about Fobus holsters? Also, anyone have a recommendation on a kydex type of OWB holster with some sort retention for a 5906? It has to be able to be taken off easily like a Fobus.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I dropped a Glock 30 while on a walk with the hiking club several years ago and it came up none the worse for wear. I couldn't even see where it had hit the concrete?? And of course it didn't go off. Good thing I was a little ahead of the pack so I didn't make anyone else nervous. :)

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Had it happen twice recently...

An older (68ye.) friend of mine, unknown to me at the times, had a grip problem with his hands, dropped two different handguns.
    The first was a CZ-75 that I handed to him with the slide open.
    The second (at a later date) was a Ruger GP-100 that I handed to him with the cylinder open.

Thankfully both occurrences happened at his apartment, with thick carpet, so the guns "Bounced" and no damage was done.

His reply to the 'Drops' were that he was not used to someone handing him a handgun in that manner-Slide back, or cylinder open???HA HA...Bill.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Yes I have...I have one better than that...A customer came in the shop and dropped twenty of my long guns on to the floor. He knocked one off of the floor rack and it started a domino effect and the more he tried to stop the domino effect the worse it got.

I smiled at him...Told they were surplus and have seen worse in war and to quit fretting about it...The guy looked like he was going to puke...The funny thing is....He did buy one of the Swede's and he wouldn't have but I think he felt bad so he wanted to buy at least one off the rack...

I told him he didn't have to but he insisted and as my wife reminds me these weapons are actually consumer goods and in order to keep the shop open I do have to sell some of my children...The bad thing is...He picked the one I kind of liked...:xmad::D

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Yep, was "sitting on the throne" in a public restroom, stood up, pulled up my pants and my Bersa 380 flopped out of my cheapie IWB holster flat onto the tile floor... :n00b:

No discharged, no damage to the tile, or the gun.. Learned a valuable lesson though.. buy a GOOD holster..

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    Just dropped my EDC last week. G23 right on the back of the slide. Great thing is it didnt even leave a mark. (It was dropped on my concrete driveway still in a blackhawk holster.)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Nope. I haven't.
    But I have a friend that did. Pro tip: If you drop a gun, fight the natural inclination to try and catch it.
    Seriously.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Yes I have...I have one better than that...A customer came in the shop and dropped twenty of my long guns on to the floor. He knocked one off of the floor rack and it started a domino effect and the more he tried to stop the domino effect the worse it got.

I smiled at him...Told they were surplus and have seen worse in war and to quit fretting about it...The guy looked like he was going to puke...The funny thing is....He did buy one of the Swede's and he wouldn't have but I think he felt bad so he wanted to buy at least one off the rack...

I told him he didn't have to but he insisted and as my wife reminds me these weapons are actually consumer goods and in order to keep the shop open I do have to sell some of my children...The bad thing is...He picked the one I kind of liked...:xmad::D

I lold at this whole story, but this part was my favorite. :D

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Two times that I remember. One time I just got back from a self-defense class. I had a revolver in an upside down shoulder holster. I was demonstrating my punching technique to my wife at home when the revolver fell out and landed on the hammer spur. Thanks to S&W, the revolver didn't go off, but the hammer spur broke. I ended up cutting off the rest of the hammer spur, contouring it and the revolver was slicker than before. I decided the upside down shoulder holster wasn't for me.

The second time, I was taking a physical exam with a bunch of other men at a military entrance examination station. When we were lined up and told to drop our trousers, my pistol fell out onto the floor. The guy next to me, who previously had know that I was carrying, saw it, but no one else was the wiser. I quickly re-holstered it in the pocket holster.

AlterEgoJason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    I was at a party and a guy pulls out his carry piece to show me and pretty much threw it on the floor. I excused myself and steered clear the rest of the evening. Drinking and handling firearms never a good idea.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    My Knight in line muzzleloader fell about 8 feet when the pull rope broke from the treestand in deer season several years ago . Obviously it wasn't loaded, so no worry there. It broke the front sight off. The scope wasnt hurt and was still zeroed.
    Needless to say, I check the pull rope more often now

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Dropped my Kel Tec PF9 in a parking lot and a restroom. Threw my Glock 19 down my basement stairs onto concrete to prove it wouldn't go off. Also threw it forcefully against the floor. Didn't even scar.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't know why, but I've been dropping guns and knives lately. Like Jetgal said, don't try to catch either.

last time it happened with a Wustoff knife while I was prepping tomatoes for canning. I guess I got complacent and knocked it off the cutting board - hit the floor point down and stuck for a half second.

I keep saying it's a matter of time before my luck runs out.

Top Bottom