• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drive through Permit NOT Honored State?

• Total voters

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Hello all,
    Was just looking at the States map on indiana honored licenses....
    My question is have you every drove through a no carry state to get to your destination state which does honor IN permits?
    The idea is the Not Honored state is not your destination.. Just passing through.

Example would be:
    Taking a family vacation to KY (not sure if this is a big vacation spot but it works for the quesiton) and for us north eastern IN folks it's quicker to drive through OH (Does not honor IN permit) to get to KY then down through IN...

Another example:
    Going on a Hunting trip to Missouri and have to drive through IL (ughh)...

Any thoughts?
    Have you done this?

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Federal law provides for a ways to transport across unfriendly states, as long as your destination is a place you can legally possess.

TRANSPORTING DOES NOT MEAN OR INCLUDE CARRYING!!!

EDIT: 18 USC § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/18C44.txt

and... thus concludes my 666th post... :ingo:

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    . . . Another example:
    Going on a Hunting trip to Missouri and have to drive through IL (ughh)...

You really need to do some research.

I drive into/through Illinois every day with a gun. The IL transport laws are GREAT. People who don't know the laws think that IL has horrible gun laws but actually IL has some very sane/sensible and easy to comply with transport laws. Heck you can have the gun & a loaded magazine in your glove box or your armrest . . . just leave the magazine out of the gun.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I drive through IL, disarm about a mile before the boarder and rearm at the state line. I also make it a point when driving through IL to stop and use the facilities in the rest area, but not spend any money until I'm through the state; a small but symbolic gesture, until they get their gun laws sorted, I'm not going to be supportive; even though they are for instance better than NJ, NY, MA and permitless OH (where ammo must be removed from magazines). I am in the AZ process to reduce the states that don't let me carry, and some states that don't honor the LTCH; still allow OC and OC in a vehicle, and that's good enough for me on a road trip I just won't make those places a destination.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have so far managed to avoid driving through any states where my permits are not accepted. I do have my IN LTCH and my Utah non resident permit so Ohio is not a problem. I avoid Illinois like the plague and it has worked for me so far.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I recently went hunting in Tx and on the way we went several miles out of our way to avoid Il. We had about 8 guns in the truck figured it wasn't worth the hassle if we were to get stopped.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you want to drive through Florida, get a Florida license and you will be nice and legal.

Don't break the law when you can just comply with it and not have to spend time and money on lawyers.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have a combination lock box (gunvault) that attaches to the vehicle with a cable that I use to put my gun in, unloaded, when I have to drive through unfriendly states. It's also where my wallet and other small valuables go when I am away from my vehicle when parked at a trailhead or whatever.

brwnfldl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    You really need to do some research.

I drive into/through Illinois every day with a gun. The IL transport laws are GREAT. People who don't know the laws think that IL has horrible gun laws but actually IL has some very sane/sensible and easy to comply with transport laws. Heck you can have the gun & a loaded magazine in your glove box or your armrest . . . just leave the magazine out of the gun.

well.....For a non-resident of Illinois to be compliant with all statutes it recommended to be "Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state." Along with unloaded and enclosed in a case.

I recommend to print this and keep with you when traveling in IL.
    http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I drive through IL, disarm about a mile before the boarder and rearm at the state line. I also make it a point when driving through IL to stop and use the facilities in the rest area, but not spend any money until I'm through the state; a small but symbolic gesture, until they get their gun laws sorted, I'm not going to be supportive; even though they are for instance better than NJ, NY, MA and permitless OH (where ammo must be removed from magazines). I am in the AZ process to reduce the states that don't let me carry, and some states that don't honor the LTCH; still allow OC and OC in a vehicle, and that's good enough for me on a road trip I just won't make those places a destination.

^^^^^^^ This!!!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've driven through several. Before I got my Utah permit, I had been through Ohio several times. I've been through Illinois as well, and Wisconsin (back before they started sorting out their CCW laws). Just locked it up at the last exit, and put it back on once through the state.

Having a second non-resident permit from Utah, Arizona, or Florida makes it a bit easier to travel around the midwest. Illinois is still annoying, so I try to just "pass through" rather than stay and visit.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    well.....For a non-resident of Illinois to be compliant with all statutes it recommended to be "Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state." Along with unloaded and enclosed in a case.

Sorry but what you quoted is untrue. Even the Illinois State Police document you quoted says the gun does not have to be broken down!!! The Illinois supreme court even ruled in our favor. Its been posted here on INGO several times. I don't care to dig up all the old threads where I debunked what you just wrote. But I'd strongly suggest you look up the old threads, its actually easy to transport a gun into/through Illinois.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There was a series of threads on driving through OH not too long ago...

The gist is, empty your magazines and store in trunk, or locked box in rear of vehicle.

brwnfldl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2009

Sorry but what you quoted is untrue. Even the Illinois State Police document you quoted says the gun does not have to be broken down!!! The Illinois supreme court even ruled in our favor. Its been posted here on INGO several times. I don't care to dig up all the old threads where I debunked what you just wrote. But I'd strongly suggest you look up the old threads, its actually easy to transport a gun into/through Illinois.

Not trying to turn this into a peeing match. But read that again, slowly. I merely said it is RECOMMENDED to be "Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state."

What I quoted is on the ISP Document. By the way, nowhere in the document does it state "does not" have to be broken down, it says "or".

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

brwnfldl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Here is the most current court ruling: http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinions/SupremeCourt/2011/April/109130.pdf

Here is a document from the ILL STATE POLICE: http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf

News report about court rule that allows out of state residents: Illinois Court Allows Nonresidents to Transport Guns

Probably the most informative thread on the topic: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...gotta_go_to_communist_occupied_il_friday.html

1. The court ruling does not omit anyone from having to comply with the statute of requiring the gun to being broken down or immediately accessible. In regards to Holmes case it could not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that gun was loaded or immediately accessible, therefore that judgment was reversed. The only judgment to come to light is that an out of state resident can transport firearms with out having to possess a FOID.

2. The link you have provided of a document from the IL State Police states the following:

Nonresidents must comply with the gun case law as described above. Additionally, the firearm must not be
    immediately accessible or must be broken down in a non-functioning state"

3. News report just announces the same thing the court ruled. Out of state resident can transport firearms (without having to possess a FOID)

4. I will read this thread when I have a chance

So in conclusion I legally must have my firearm broken down OR not immediately accessible to comply with Illinois law.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    1. The court ruling does not omit anyone from having to comply with the statute of requiring the gun to being broken down or immediately accessible. In regards to Holmes case it could not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that gun was loaded or immediately accessible, therefore that judgment was reversed. The only judgment to come to light is that an out of state resident can transport firearms with out having to possess a FOID.
    There is NO STATUTE that requires the gun be broken down.

The court ruling states that a gun, unloaded, in the glove box is considered to be "inaccessible."

2. The link you have provided of a document from the IL State Police states the following:

Nonresidents must comply with the gun case law as described above. Additionally, the firearm must not be immediately accessible or must be broken down in a non-functioning state"
    Again, there is NO STATUTE that said the gun must be either "broken down" or "nonfunctioning" and the ruling allows for unloaded, in a glove box, transport.

3. News report just announces the same thing the court ruled. Out of state resident can transport firearms (without having to possess a FOID)
    Yes, it was put in there as a point of reference for people who are confused about the need for the FOID.

4. I will read this thread when I have a chance

So in conclusion I legally must have my firearm broken down OR not immediately accessible to comply with Illinois law.
    Again, unload it and put it in your glove box. The court considered that to comply with the law.

brwnfldl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    There is NO STATUTE that requires the gun be broken down.

The court ruling states that a gun, unloaded, in the glove box is considered to be "inaccessible."

Again, there is NO STATUTE that said the gun must be either "broken down" or "nonfunctioning" and the ruling allows for unloaded, in a glove box, transport.

Everything I've read, along with what you have provided, says otherwise. I've even quoted the text from each document where this is stated. I reread your first link on the court subject and cannot find this ruling you speak of. If you can quote that ruling or show me a state document stating this, I would believe you. I want to, very much so. Until I can read this for my self, I just can go along with you interpretation of the law.

Top Bottom