• What is your ethnic background?

• Total voters

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Dang it!

No "Native American"? Hey, I was born here!

No "Irish American"? Who cares if that was 9 generations ago!

Oops, sorry abou the comment. I got carried away.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What if you're white, but you're from South Africa? Isn't "african american" a disingenuous politically-correct misnomer?

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Im yellow whitish tanish...lol I guess im a mutt. Part indian and scottish... Umm not gonna mention what parts of me are what...lmao My mom is half cherokee even has the singline line of grey down he coal black hair... kinda neat but she keeps dyeing it. And my sperm doner is half blackfoot and scotitsh. So im just ugly. And im built like the missing link. lol why does everything always gotta be about race?

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Not to sound difficult, but "ethnic" is a vague term. Are you wanting races, nationalities, or cultures?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, what abnk said.

And Scutter01 is spot-on about "African-American." I only know a few African-Americans and they're all white Afrikaaners.

"Asian" is a pet peeve of mine. It's as ambiguous as "African." Asia ranges from what we call the Middle East to what used to be part of the Soviet Union to what most people think when you say "Asia." If you mean "east Asian," then you need to be specific, or use the now dreaded "oriental" which is what is really meant because it's lumping Chinese, Korean, and Japanese together, even though no one wants to say that word anymore for some odd reason. "Asian" is so broad as to be meaningless. Kim Jong Il is "Asian," but so is Osama Bin Laden, etc.

I got to check "other" in the poll because it was only correct choice for me, as I am beige.

And I've yet to meet more than 10 people who were born in Indiana who aren't part Indian (as in proto-American Indian, not south Asian Indian). Of all who are part Indian, almost all of them claim to be related to or descended from a "Cherokee princess." I make no judgement, but it's what I keep hearing.

I was born in Indiana, but I can say beyond any reasonable doubt that I am not any part Indian (of either variety). :D

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I was born in Indiana. I am not aware that I am in part or whole anything except Hoosier and American. My family tree has at least the minimum recomended number of forks and is devoid of royalty and fame. My last name is an Americanized version of the German word for "butcher" which is fairly cool IMO. If I had a past life, (which I don't believe) I was likely not royalty or famous then either. I probably had a warped sense of humor and issues with authority. Just sayin...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was born in Indiana. I am not aware that I am in part or whole anything except Hoosier and American. My family tree has at least the minimum recomended number of forks and is devoid of royalty and fame. My last name is an Americanized version of the German word for "butcher" which is fairly cool IMO. If I had a past life, (which I don't believe) I was likely not royalty or famous then either. I probably had a warped sense of humor and issues with authority. Just sayin...

Sir, you are far too modest! You chose to omit that fact that your people are capable of flight.*

*As a result of being launched into the air while riding unsecured in a the back of a 1976 Chevrolet van that comes to a sudden stop from 100 mph due to the 17 year old jacka** behind the wheel burying his foot into the brake pedal without warning.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Yeah, what abnk said.

And Scutter01 is spot-on about "African-American." I only know a few African-Americans and they're all white Afrikaaners.

"Asian" is a pet peeve of mine. It's as ambiguous as "African." Asia ranges from what we call the Middle East to what used to be part of the Soviet Union to what most people think when you say "Asia." If you mean "east Asian," then you need to be specific, or use the now dreaded "oriental" which is what is really meant because it's lumping Chinese, Korean, and Japanese together, even though no one wants to say that word anymore for some odd reason. "Asian" is so broad as to be meaningless. Kim Jong Il is "Asian," but so is Osama Bin Laden, etc.

I got to check "other" in the poll because it was only correct choice for me, as I am beige.

And I've yet to meet more than 10 people who were born in Indiana who aren't part Indian (as in proto-American Indian, not south Asian Indian). Of all who are part Indian, almost all of them claim to be related to or descended from a "Cherokee princess." I make no judgement, but it's what I keep hearing.

I was born in Indiana, but I can say beyond any reasonable doubt that I am not any part Indian (of either variety). :D

i guess we are the two "others". hehe.

Top Bottom