• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    In a year or so, all gas will have 15% alcohol instead of 10%.

I'm assuming this as well.

It is funny that the benevolent intent of the legislation is to keep people from accidentally filling up their small engines with E15, or a pump that has E15 available. Where are people supposed to buy actual Octane fuel without driving 2 hours out of their way?

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Did I read it wrong? If the same pump does 10 & 15%, and 15% can damage some engines, the residual 15% in the pump needs to be diluted by @ least 4 gall of 10% to be safe in those engines. So if there is a separate pump for each, there should be no issues or requirements.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Did I read it wrong? If the same pump does 10 & 15%, and 15% can damage some engines, the residual 15% in the pump needs to be diluted by @ least 4 gall of 10% to be safe in those engines. So if there is a separate pump for each, there should be no issues or requirements.

That is correct.

The issue is that the current administration has made a HUGE push to put in these blending pumps in the last couple of years. Now, those station operators are getting hit with this. Sucks.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I just hate how some stations stop pumping at $75.00. It usually takes about $110 to fill up.

I thought that was a limitation imposed by visa/mastercard for those use cc's at the pump. No more than $75 per transaction as they (cards) FEARED cc fraud thus the pump shuts off at 75.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It does not apply to E-15 or E-85 dispensing pumps at all. It does not apply to pumps that dispense E-10 exclusively. It applies at "blending pumps" that can dispense E-15 or E-10 through the same hose, and then, only to purchases of E-10 gas.

Question then arises, how can we tell if the pumps at our favourite Gas `n' Gulp has blending pumps deployed?

Apparently, the issue is the residual fuel in the pump and hose after the internal blending stage. Buying E-15 after the previous customer dispensed E-15, no problem. E-10 after E-10, technicly, also, no problem. E-15 after E-10, the total E rating of the dispensed fuel amount will just be slightly less than true E-15 depending on amount of fuel dispensed. No big deal there. The problem lays in dispensing E-10 after E-15. Then, the residual fuel has a higher ethanol content than E-10 gas, and that will be true of the dispensed fuel, no matter the amount dispensed.

The blanket 4 gal. minimum of E-10 purchases from blending pumps is to keep the E rating of E-10 gas after E-15 purchases from getting so much higher than E-10 that it starts damaging fuel systems designed for E-10 gas.

Government causes a problem. Government solves the problem in its own inimitable way. Aren't you so lucky and glad to have government here to help you like this?

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    People on Mopeds and motorcyclists with small tanks are screwed.

My motorcycle tank is about 5gallons... 1 gallon sits in the reserve tank which means I will basically have to run the bike until it runs out of gas... (at which point I will have to switch to the reserve tank)... And then run it on reserve for a little bit to free up 4 gallons of space in my tank....

WTF?

You've got me beat. Officially my bike has a 4.5 gallon tank. I have on one occasion run it dead empty. Or at least to the point that it simply would not start again. Fortunately I was on my way to the gas station, and only had to push her about 30 yds or so. Even then, when it was dead empty, or low enough that the fuel pump couldn't pick up enough to fire her up, it took less than 4.2 gallons.

So far we're still E10 here, but they keep bandying the idea of going E15 around up in Albany. So, who knows if they will apply to me at some point.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    control freaks i tell ya.

as long as 92+ octane is available, i wont have a problem with the truck. 4 gallons is a tease to her.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    In a year or so, all gas will have 15% alcohol instead of 10%.

this is already happening. most of your E10 or "normal" gas has well over 10% ethanol already. i have seen it spike as high as 17%.

too bad the "free" market is not allowed to give me the option of pure (present tense expletive omitted to avoid ban hammer) gasoline :rolleyes:

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I had to admit, I was skeptical when I only saw the article on conservative sites/blogs (Let's face it, sometimes people on both sides of the aisle get things skewed). Then I found this from Mother Jones- agreeing that its as stupid as it sounds! How often are Heritage and Mother Jones going to agree?

Is it me, or did the ground suddenly get a little colder...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    US EPA = EVIL

How does rhino know this? He knows a guy who used to be an environmental engineer and Superfund project manager for US EPA Region IX.

That guy would like to apologize for his role in past EPA woes slammed upon citizens.

Rhino used to be that guy.

Rhino is sorry, everyone. He was young and naive and he won't do it again.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I thought that was a limitation imposed by visa/mastercard for those use cc's at the pump. No more than $75 per transaction as they (cards) FEARED cc fraud thus the pump shuts off at 75.

Dunno. Some pumps work fine and fill up well over $100. Other pumps, especially Marathon gas stations stop at $75.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    US EPA = EVIL

How does rhino know this? He knows a guy who used to be an environmental engineer and Superfund project manager for US EPA Region IX.

That guy would like to apologize for his role in past EPA woes slammed upon citizens.

If you would like to go further into the details, I'm here for you. I promise confidentiality, but only if you post here. Confession, though good for the soul (yours) does nothing for the bottom line. On behalf of Region IX and its citizens, I've been appointed to accept remuneration for your youthful indisgresions in an amount to be determined. We also need the names of your collaborators. And please stop referring to yourself in the third person, unless you have multiple personality disorder. fZz is now out of here.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you would like to go further into the details, I'm here for you. I promise confidentiality, but only if you post here. Confession, though good for the soul (yours) does nothing for the bottom line. On behalf of Region IX and its citizens, I've been appointed to accept remuneration for your youthful indisgresions in an amount to be determined. We also need the names of your collaborators. And please stop referring to yourself in the third person, unless you have multiple personality disorder. fZz is now out of here.

"Statute of Limitations," sir!

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    US EPA = EVIL

Forgiveness is always available to those who earnestly seek it. :)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    US EPA = EVIL

I knew it. I like you but my subconscious ALWAYs told me "There is something about this guy I don't like."

My Bro deals with the EPA on a national level, sits on some board too. I think his employer wants people there to try to help protect their right to make engines go faster! He claims most of his job these days is just doing **** for the EPA. When you hear the stories of just how bad the EPA is, it makes the OP story look like Barney and Friends.

Top Bottom