• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So I've got some extra money that I am thinking about dropping on a rifle that is cheaper to shoot than my K31. I have about $300 and would like to get either a .22 or a .17 bolt gun.

From what I've gathered looking around a little Savage arms looks like where I'm headed. Does anyone else have any suggestions on a starter rifle that can be had for $300 or less. I am currently looking at the Mark II FV-SR. However I'm not sure how much some cheap glass would be to start me off since it lacks sights.

Any suggestions would be welcome, I've also been suggested Marlin but I'm curious what other options are out there.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    the MKII is an excellent rifle. i guess it really depends on if bolt action is what you are after. model 60's are excellent, 10/22's have a great rep as well.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    My stepson just bought the Savage in 17 (against my advice) I think its a great rifle but he'd shoot the .22 more cause it's cheaper...I haven't seen it but he said it had the
    accu-trigger which is great.

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    You can get the savage fv-sr and a wal-mart scope and 500 rounds of 22lr for your $300 bucks.

You could also have a heavy barrel savage in 17hmr for under $300.

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    JMHO, but for me, I would choose the .22, just for the CHEAP ammo ..... BUT it depends on WHAT you are going to use it for ...:twocents:

I will be using it to practice marksmanship mainly. Starting at about 50 yards and moving back over time. The reason I listed .17 in addition to .22 is because I've heard .22 drops rather quickly. This has me worried that it won't scale with me as I start to move further and further out.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    .17 HMR is quite a bit more expensive than .22 LR. The .17 HMR is better compared to the .22 WMR. .22 WMR prices are up near .17 HMR prices these days. Price-wise you'd be about equal shooting cheap .223 ammo

Yes, .22 LR is dropping pretty fast at 100 yards.

Regardless, every needs a .22 LR. You'll have on eventually it might as well be now.

For practicing marksmanship, I would go with a heavy barrel .22 LR. If you are going to scope it then the Savage or Marlin will do. If you don't want to scope it, Savage makes a target version of the Mark II FV (I think it's called the FVT) that comes with aperture sights.

I have a inexpensive BSA Target Platinum 6-24x44 scope on one of my .22's that I got on sale for about $70. it has a 1/8MOA dot on thin crosshairs and 1/8 MOA clicks, which works much better for target work than the 1/4 MOA clicks, IMO. No it's not the best scope in the world, but it's great on the .22LR.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I will be using it to practice marksmanship mainly. Starting at about 50 yards and moving back over time. The reason I listed .17 in addition to .22 is because I've heard .22 drops rather quickly. This has me worried that it won't scale with me as I start to move further and further out.

I had about the same thing in mind when i got my latest .22. I went with a semi auto though (marlin 795). As as far as you not being able to shoot it at distance is not true. I pretty much only shoot mine at 110 yards. It is dropping fairly fast at that point but once you get your sights set for the distance its pretty easy. I have gone 30 straight rounds on a 2" target without a single miss. I have no doubt if i went up to a 4 or 6" target i could go out to 200 yards as long as the wind wasnt real strong and i had time to adjust for the drop.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    17 HMR

I have a savage 17HMR and I love it. It does cost a bit more, but IMHO it's well worth it. It's way more destructive than a .22 and has a flatter trajectory. If you get a heavy barrel rifle you will not be disappointed. They are disgustingly accurate and a complete blast to shoot.

We're talking $9.99 for a box of 50 cartridges. All my .22's collect dust now. I don't care that it costs a little more.

SILVERBACK

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    MONROVIA
    ruger 10-22 the small block chevy of guns, a lot of room to do what tickles your fancy down the the road. Maybe a Savage 64 model threaded barrel, silencer ready, or maybe a Henry H001 lever action .22 all under $300 and super reliable and tons of fun.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have been thinking of a cheap, cool looking, accurate plinker and think you might be interested in it. You are going to have to roll your own here a little.

Make an Inexpensive 22 truck gun / plinker that still looks cool and is minute of tree rat at 50 yards.

Marlin makes a nice little Xt-22YSR. A sixteen inch barreled. 7 shot clip feed, pro-fire triggered, Fiber optic sighted 22lr. Thing is it a youth model so it does not fit me. Boyds makes a evolution stock for the xt-22 and I believe it fits the youth model. They make a pepper laminate one thats looks great with stainless.

SS EVOLUTION MARLIN 800/900 CLIP SERIES ANY BARREL CHANNEL PEPPER LAMINATE (FINISHED)

Marlin XT22YSR 22 BA Y SS 4&7 SYN $207.00 SHIPS FREE

So we are at 306 for the seup with an extra kids sized stock that can be fitted at the range with a screwdriver and an allen wrench. You have a killer looking little 22 plinker unlike almost all others with a 3.5 pound trigger, comfortable stock, 7 (Or with the old 925 mags 10 shots) Or single feed, Good open sights, Micro groove 16 inch barrel, under 5 pounds without a scope, and under 38 inches long. I believe it will come in at 36.7.

My idea: you can let me shoot it if you go that route for payment.

A 22 long rifle will max out speed in about 16 inches of barrel the rest is just drag.

Still gives you a chance to have someone good thread it in the future. The even with the longest of 22 surpressors it is not overly long.

Easy to carry, easy to grab behind the pickup seat, will not mind being left alone back there for long periods. Should drive tacks it is microgroove.

Scope:

Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope

I do not endose it but I believe that rifle in the youth stainless is a wall mart gun also and under buds price with would bring the cost of the gun minus any extras right under 300 with the SS Evolution stock in pepper.

Last edited:

indybuell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Bargersville
    I would suggest looking at a Ruger 10/22. It's an awesome rifle. There are also a ton of aftermarket modifications out there that you can do to customize it to your shooting habits. It's incredibly well built, and very accurate.

Top Bottom