Print this and tape it to the dash.
    kQ0Ic.jpg

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    protect the electronic components with a Faraday cage.
    Faraday cage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this only works to an extent. the size of the hole in the mesh you choose will only protect up to a certain frequency. (this is why the holes in you microwave window are the size they are.)

wrapping the electrical components in aluminum foil will work except for the wires leading into them will act as antennas and you will get "back doored" through the cabling.

the only true way to"EMP Proof" a vehicle would be to eliminate all electronic components on the vehicle and go back mechanical way of running an engine.

Tyler
    NARTE Certified EMI Technician
    iNARTE, A Telecommunications Certification Association

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    What about a concrete bunker? Or just the electrical components buried until after the EMP detonation then reassemble?

A concrete bunker would be overkill. your on an easier path with burying them. except you don't need to bury then under ground just in a box. A plain aluminum box with NO PAINT and all metal hardware and a conductive gasket like the one mentioned below would be the best option.

My understanding was as long as the vehicle is stored in a grounded metal building. A garage with aluminum siding or a metal barn that is grounded against lightning strikes.

while this works for lighting. EMP is a different kind of animal. the seams in the aluminum siding would need to be braised together at every joint to keep the magnetic pulse out. and the rubber seals on the garage door,(I'm assuming aluminum) would need to be conductive, something like this EMI Conductive Rubber, LLC , and then the door would have to be compressed against the gasket to a specific level as recommend by the manufacturer, there are different kinds so it depends on what you buy. then the siding would would have to go all the too the ground and be buried a few inches into the dirt.

One thing everyone needs to keep in mind on this subject is the most common source of electronic damaging EMP is a NUCLEAR explosion, if this happens we are all going to have a lot bigger worries then does the car work. Also the current EMP bombs big enough to take out a city are all operated by the US and are bigger than a semi truck and trailor.

hope this helps a little more.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    e31.jpg

This is a small picture of the EMP test facility at EG&G in PAX river Maryland. It is just barely big enough to test a boeing 747 and it is the size of a luxury conversion van. (it's the white can suspended above the airplane) Also there are log linear antennas running from the unit to the ground. (that is Air force one in the picture)

hope this provides a little visual aid.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I have heard people say that you need to go to great lengths to protect your vehicles from EMP.I have also heard that the metal bodywork of your car should be enough to sheild the electronics from the pulse.

I will take my chances.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    A concrete bunker would be overkill. your on an easier path with burying them. except you don't need to bury then under ground just in a box. A plain aluminum box with NO PAINT and all metal hardware and a conductive gasket like the one mentioned below would be the best option.

while this works for lighting. EMP is a different kind of animal. the seams in the aluminum siding would need to be braised together at every joint to keep the magnetic pulse out. and the rubber seals on the garage door,(I'm assuming aluminum) would need to be conductive, something like this EMI Conductive Rubber, LLC , and then the door would have to be compressed against the gasket to a specific level as recommend by the manufacturer, there are different kinds so it depends on what you buy. then the siding would would have to go all the too the ground and be buried a few inches into the dirt.

One thing everyone needs to keep in mind on this subject is the most common source of electronic damaging EMP is a NUCLEAR explosion, if this happens we are all going to have a lot bigger worries then does the car work. Also the current EMP bombs big enough to take out a city are all operated by the US and are bigger than a semi truck and trailor.

hope this helps a little more.

First, thanks for the info. It helps. I don't claim to know much about EMP anyway.
    I would think that the precautions you list would apply at ground zero and not so much the further away you got from the initial site

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    First, thanks for the info. It helps. I don't claim to know much about EMP anyway.
    I would think that the precautions you list would apply at ground zero and not so much the further away you got from the initial site

you are correct the rule is called the inverse square rule. Every time you double the distance from the emission site, in this case ground zero of a nuclear explosin, you quarter the amount energy being emitted. So as long as you don't live withing a few miles a "major target" you will be fine. I would be more worried about being able to live comfortably without the power grid than I would be about hardening my vehicle.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Are we talkin AMC jeep? Willies jeep? or Chrysler jeep?

If its a chrysler jeep(1990 or newer) youre SOL...it runs off of more computers than the space shuttle.

AMC jeep?...Convert to a points ignition and a manual transmission.

Willies?...Do nothing...its already EMP proof.

God bless
    -Shred

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I don't spend my time worrying about hardening for an EMP but rather the aftermath of what could happen if the power grid goes down. It is a much simpler task to prepare for as it could also be caused by flooding, ice storm, tornado, earthquake and many other NATURAL disasters.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I've also heard that as long as there isn't power going to the components that the emp won't destroy it. So basically anything hooked to any power in your vehicle will likely fry. I've been thinking about trying a battery shutoff switch on the postitive battery cable. That way the power can be shutoff to everything when not being driven. But of course keeping extra components in a faraday cage is a good idea for backup as well ;)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom