Egg Storage in Sodium Silicate: 1 year test (many Pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    OK, a year ago I put some of my chicken eggs in a crock in sodium silicate "Water Glass".
    Forgot about them to do a 6-month check, which is how long the Mother Earth News said they'd keep in an article a long time ago...

So, having kept them in the house at 65 - 72 degrees for 1 year, Here it is:
    web.jpg

And here are the undisturbed eggs, found they rose/elevated a bit with time!
    At first I thought that the NaSilicate just dehydrated & therefore the eggs were more exposed (some were initially submerged, some were coated & left half-submerged). Then I found that the eggs were actually trying to float, since when I dug around in there, none were on the bottom of the crock.
    Sticking my nose in there, no bad odors, but a faint, slightly sweet smell (guessing it's the Na silicate?)
    web.jpg

OK, so now I know why it's nicknamed "water glass"... the top layer did become hard & you could hit it with your knife to fracture it. Broke a couple of eggshells trying to loosen a few out!
    By the way, the green-shelled eggs' color faded out. The insides of the shell, however, remained green & this can be seen in subsequent pix. Only brown and green shelled eggs were placed in the crock.
    web.jpg

Beneath the dry, tough glassy crust it had thickened somewhat to a gel:
    xx
    web.jpg

The eggs were no longer "thick" in either the whites or the yolks, like the fresh one in the upper bowl. Pretty thin/runny. The old yolks were fragile, easily broken. The fresh egg from this week is in the top bowl.
    You can see the insides of the eggshells are greener than the outside here.
    It also seemed as if some of the "yellow' had seeped across the yolk's membrane/sac into the "whites". Note NO rotten egg odors... If you smelled them up-close, though, the stored eggs did smell slightly of ~animal (go smell your dry dog's fur). NOT wet dog, but dry dog. More on that later.
    web.jpg

Next was the frying pan test. Again, the fresh egg at the top:
    xx
    web.jpg

Add a little fresh ground pepper & salt and voila'
    xx
    web.jpg

OK, now the taste test...
    The slight animal odor was present in the yellows, but not really the whites.
    Not really a tastable thing, but just a slight smellable thing.
    Tasted fine...
    SO: What I conclude is-- this is a valid method of storing eggs, but I probably wouldn't use the yolks unless you are using them in a recipe with other ingredients or strong flavors (like brownies or quiche). At one year, just use the whites otherwise.

I'll let you know if I get sick:D
    The dogs sure liked them just fine.
    No, I didn't eat any undercooked eggs. Never do.
    :patriot:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    For us unlearned folks tell us more about the prep work of preserving the eggs.
    As Annie says splain it like I'm 4. Step by step.
    Oh yeah and thanks for doing this looks interesting.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    dibbs on your guns, ammo, optics and other toys!

the paper bag cooking was funnier to watch!

Nice write up Pamcakes, but like Longbow I was hoping to see the cooking done in a paper bag! I guess that might not have been conducive to the scientific method. Reps:yesway:

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    For us unlearned folks tell us more about the prep work of preserving the eggs. As Annie says splain it like I'm 4. Step by step.
    I think I am beginning to like powdered eggs!!!! :D

There really isn't much to this method of storing the eggs.
    Step 1: Buy sodium silicate online. Comes in 500ml plastic bottles, like rubbing alcohol or peroxide.
    Step 2: Pour it in a crock, put your eggs in, get the eggs all coated with it.
    Step 3: Put the lid on & put it in the cupboard.

HandK, I too am thinking that it is not a very efficient way to preserve eggs, and I'm not really planning on doing it again, as the powdered eggs are much more feasible:)...

But: I know that it can be done. Knowledge is power...:D

Reference: Wikipedia

Anyone do any pickling of eggs? That should keep them good for a long time...
    :patriot:

Top Bottom