• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    My main purpose for this gun will be 3 gun when I get into it. That being said, is it worth the money for the conversion? I was looking at one from centerfire systems Converted Saiga 12GA Part #SAI-12S2 is this worth the 900 smackers? What makes a conversion good? I have been looking at the DIY threads as well. I wouldn't be against doing it myself, it will give me a reason to buy some gunsmithing tools:rockwoot:Where can I get the parts?

What is the difference between all the different conversions? There are so many people who do them now with tromix parts as well.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    That being said, is it worth the money for the conversion?

Yes, yes, a THOUSAND times yes! If you're not going to have the Saiga converted, you might as well buy a Benelli/Winchester/Remington/etc.

I was looking at one from centerfire systems Converted Saiga 12GA Part #SAI-12S2 is this worth the 900 smackers?

"worth" is relative. You can do the conversion yourself for a heck of a lot less money. I don't know who's doing the work on those for CFS, and that can make all the difference in the world (see below). I'm not a fan of the TAPCO stock, but it looks like the extra holes have been welded up and the finish is stated to be Duracoat, both of which are positives.

What makes a conversion good?

Quality of workmanship and attention to detail. Were quality components used in the conversion? How were the "leftover" holes addressed (nothing, plugged, welded over)? Was the existing triggerguard reused or was a new one supplied/fabricated? Is a selector stop present? Was the gun refinished? If so, what product/process was used?

I have two Saiga-12 conversions; one DIY and one professional. Both are serviceable (the DIY is actually my house gun), but cosmetically, the difference between the two is night and day.

Where can I get the parts?

For starters:
    carolinashooterssupply.com Home Page
    Mississippi Auto Arms, Inc
    Dinzagarms.com

There are others.

What is the difference between all the different conversions?

See "what makes a conversion good" above.

HTH!

Last edited:

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    please enlighten me on what "converted" means on the saiga-12. I was lucky enough to put 5 slugs out of one today, and was instantly in love.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Converted for the shotgun versions is usually installing an AK trigger group so you can mount an AK style butt stock and pistol grip. That is all I did to mine.

if you are talking the 7.62x39 or .223 conversions they go further so you can use AK mags and Galil mags.

I converted my own and I think it looks good cosmetically, that being said there are parts available that make it a lot easer that weren't available when I did mine. For example Tromix makes a trigger guard with a pistol grip nut and a safety stop that's premade and one doesn't have to be fabricated.

I would recommend a conversion whether you DIY or shell out the money for someone else to do it.

50bmgshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Greenfield
    i converted mine myself. sure the tapco stock looks a little "off" compared to the rest of the gun....but its very solid. also put the three rail handguard on it from the saiga website. new muzzle brake is on as well. its a great shotgun and everyone who has fired mine has loved it. i would highly suggest it to anyone

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    If you're not going to have the Saiga converted, you might as well buy a Benelli/Winchester/Remington/etc.
    the stock Saiga is still worth it, i can put 5 shells of 20 in the air. conversions can be done with out any gun smithing.

if you can make it to JP saterday, there will be the above Saiga-12, as well as a stock S-12, S-20, and a S.223 with anouther PG stock installed. bring some shells and feel free to run a hundred or so through them. no better way to convince you than to let you shoot one.

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    i have one that is converted and runs very very smooth and cycles everything ive tried through it. that gun is the #$%^!!

Armorer59

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Greene County
    I have one that I'm still working on. Mostly done, just need to Park and Dura Coat it. Also picked up a couple of MD Arms 20 round drums for it! Talk about firepower!

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    Great info.
    I've been interested in them for the past few months as well.. and definitely want one now!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I shot the one that remy shot as well. Very nice! Shoulder is just fine as of last night....

The guy was running 3 inch slugs. Are these slug only guns guns? I forgot to ask the owner

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Are these slug only guns guns?

Not at all. I've got the MD Arms/Gunfixr 4-position gas reg in mine, and can shoot anything from low-brass game loads (including the notoriously underpowered Winchester Universal) up through 3" slugs (not my idea of a good time).

Even with the stock 2-position gas reg, mine would run everything but the really low-powered stuff just fine.

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Buy a stock gun and do the conversion yourself. There is ton of info on how to do it on the internet and it is very easy. About $80 in parts and an hour in labor really.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Do the Saiga 12's handle both 2 3/4" & 3" shells? I've been looking at these for years and just never bought one.

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    They do, but when you shoot more powerful shells make sure you adjust your gas settings, as if you don't you will beat your gun to death.

Do the Saiga 12's handle both 2 3/4" & 3" shells? I've been looking at these for years and just never bought one.

Top Bottom