• BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Economists: The stimulus didn't help

By Hibah Yousuf, staff reporterApril 26, 2010: 3:56 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The recovery is picking up steam as employers boost payrolls, but economists think the government's stimulus package and jobs bill had little to do with the rebound, according to a survey released Monday.
    In latest quarterly survey by the National Association for Business Economics, the index that measures employment showed job growth for the first time in two years -- but a majority of respondents felt the fiscal stimulus had no impact.

NABE conducted the study by polling 68 of its members who work in economic roles at private-sector firms. About 73% of those surveyed said employment at their company is neither higher nor lower as a result of the $787 billion Recovery Act, which the White House's Council of Economic Advisers says is on track to create or save 3.5 million jobs by the end of the year.
    That sentiment is shared for the recently passed $17.7 billion jobs bill that calls for tax breaks for businesses that hire and additional infrastructure spending. More than two-thirds of those polled believe the measure won't affect payrolls, while 30% expect it to boost hiring "moderately."

0:00 /1:48Job growth ... now what?
    But the economists see conditions improving. More than half of respondents -- 57% -- say industrial demand is rising, while just 6% see it declining. A growing number also said their firms are increasing spending and profit margins are widening.
    Nearly a quarter of those surveyed forecast that gross domestic product, the broadest measure of economic activity, will grow more than 3% in 2010, and 70% of NABE's respondents expect it to grow more than 2%.
    Still, the survey suggested that tight lending conditions remain a concern. Almost half of those polled said the credit crunch hurts their business.

but a majority of respondents felt the fiscal stimulus had no impact.

The impact will soon be felt in the most negative of ways. The weight of our national debt will be crushing to this economy.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It wasn't a stimulus bill. It was an old fashioned Chicago style payoff to liberal constituency groups.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Wait, why would President Bush pay off liberals?

We've really got to get an understanding of the "stimulus" bill.

TARP and the stimulus are two different things. TARP was a bailout of the finanacial industry. While I didn't completely agree with TARP, some of it will be paid back, and lots of even conservative leaning economists insisted that it was necessary to avoid total collapse. I have a pretty good layman's understanding of economics, and I plead ignorance on TARP's necessity.

The stimulus for all practical purposes was an extra budget bill and that was entirely Obama's.

As to the boost in payroll, for most of the 90's, I was in the recruiting industry. Hiring slows every year in November and doesn't pick up again until April. It goes strong from about April, then slows slightly during the summer months, picking up again from September through November.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma

TARP and the stimulus are two different things. TARP was a bailout of the finanacial industry. While I didn't completely agree with TARP, some of it will be paid back, and lots of even conservative leaning economists insisted that it was necessary to avoid total collapse. I have a pretty good layman's understanding of economics, and I plead ignorance on TARP's necessity.

TARP was unnecessary because all of the assets could be sold... just not at prices the banks were willing to accept. The banks had a 1977 Dodge Aspen sitting in their back yard, rusting out at the frame, not running, engine completely seized. The market offered them $100 for the scrap metal, and they said no. Bush and TARP came along, and offered $5000 of taxpayer money for it.

(numbers pulled out of thin air, but you get the gist)

The reason this was deemed necessary is a little-known regulation called mark-to-market. Essentially it requires all banks to account for the market value of their assets, and combined with their minimum asset requirements, some of them would have been below the threshold required. Those banks would have been forced to close, and depositors would have been covered by FDIC, also with taxpayer dollars, while their loans would have been bought up by others at rock-bottom prices.

It would have been far simpler to suspend mark-to-market, or to allow a grace period for banks to return their asset portfolios to a healthy footing, or to simply allow them to go belly-up. TARP was deemed "necessary" because the massive market correction that was preparing to happen was feared more than the considerable wrath of the taxpayers and voters who were going crazy with calls and letters opposing it.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

The stimulus for all practical purposes was an extra budget bill and that was entirely Obama's.

As to the boost in payroll, for most of the 90's, I was in the recruiting industry. Hiring slows every year in November and doesn't pick up again until April. It goes strong from about April, then slows slightly during the summer months, picking up again from September through November.

The $787 Billion stimulus bill was signed into law 2/17/09 by President Obama. No Republican in the House voted for it.

Thanks guys. I honestly had this screwed up and now have a better understanding. As soon as I hit the "send" button, I thought I should have provided more clarity, but I really appreciate your concise and easily understood replies. Rep to you!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    TARP was unnecessary because all of the assets could be sold... just not at prices the banks were willing to accept. The banks had a 1977 Dodge Aspen sitting in their back yard, rusting out at the frame, not running, engine completely seized. The market offered them $100 for the scrap metal, and they said no. Bush and TARP came along, and offered $5000 of taxpayer money for it.

The reason this was deemed necessary is a little-known regulation called mark-to-market. Essentially it requires all banks to account for the market value of their assets, and combined with their minimum asset requirements, some of them would have been below the threshold required. Those banks would have been forced to close, and depositors would have been covered by FDIC, also with taxpayer dollars, while their loans would have been bought up by others at rock-bottom prices.

It would have been far simpler to suspend mark-to-market, or to allow a grace period for banks to return their asset portfolios to a healthy footing, or to simply allow them to go belly-up. TARP was deemed "necessary" because the massive market correction that was preparing to happen was feared more than the considerable wrath of the taxpayers and voters who were going crazy with calls and letters opposing it.

I was instinctively against TARP. If a bank or other business is going to fail, then let it fail. But there were a lot of financial experts that seemed to know what they were talking about that did a pretty good job of conveying that they were absolutely terrified of what would happen. So maybe it had to be done. I simply don't know. But I also know that what occurred was at least partially caused by our government.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

This is my basic understanding and belief as well. I hesitate only because again, some people I've become accustomed to trusting came out for the measure.

I think if more natural adjustments had been allowed to happen we would have had more acute pain in the short run, but it wouldn't have lasted as long.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood

Whenever I hear mark-to-market, I can't help but think of Enron.

Top Bottom