• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    there should be questions why they are paying for a outside entity to cull the herd when it can be done cheaper or even profit via other means. Its our money misspent yet again

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    No need for a "count" of deer. Just look at the damage to the ecosystem will tell them there are too many deer. There are LOTS of studies from state parks prior to deer hunting them.

uberpeck

Marksman
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    It's about time. I contact congressional representatives about this issue in October, concerning Don Colvin's disregard for the Indiana taxpayer and wanting to pad the pockets of his cohorts out of state. The whole thing is ridiculous. I have talked to quite a few people about this, and everyone of them came up with better solutions than Don and his committee within one minute.
    The problem is that the board decided to use tax payer funding to hire an out of state contractor that uses at least 5 illegal techniques (kills at night, over bait, with spotlights, thermal imaging, nightvision, with .223), to harvest deer.
    Option 1: pay someone $61,000 to kill the deer
    Why why not pay an Indiana company with Indiana dollars to support local business?
    Option 2: don't pay someone to kill the deer, but be generous and let people do it for free.
    Why not allow extended hunt periods for veterans and wounded warriors, or hunt programs like Hunt of a Lifetime for terminal children?
    Option 3: generate revenue by selling licenses.
    Why not have a lottery drawing of proficient hunters of Marion County tax payers?

all of these statements have citations I can provide

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist here. I run that park quite often. Deer crawling all over and the undergrowth stripped bare. But don't let clear facts get in the way of the fur-huggers...My buddies laugh at me when I run off after the deer and darn near catch them sometimes before they decide to run.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I agree that paying to thin the deer herd is ridiculous.

A draw bow hunt would help thin the herd a lot and I am sure that people would pay to hunt the park. This would quiet the people worried about shooting guns in a city park

I think they put the part about having wounded veterans a chance to hunt was a weak attempt to justify hiring an out of state company to thin the herd.

They should add the park to the reserve hunts that happen every year at the State Parks and let the DNR help.

Top Bottom