• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So after coming across the LCW duracoat shake N spray kit I decided to give it a try. I would have prefered to have bought one in magpul foliage, but the guy on ebay only had magpul dark earth so I figured I'd give that a try. The instructions were simple enough and after watching this video [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co70MNG6JiU[/ame] I decided it couldn't be that hard. All things considered I thought the process was pretty simple. I gave the guns a very good cleaning after breaking them down. The part where it got weird for me was when I had to take the scratch pad and rough up my guns surface. It's not natural for me to scuff up a nicely blued ruger mark III target or anything else for that matter, but I got through it.

Well here we are, finally I have pictures to post.

The test subjects are:

Ruger 10-22
    Ruger Mark III blued target
    30rd C-Products AR-15 magazine
    20rd AR-15 magazine

**To be completely honest the AR magazines were a last minute idea and I just threw them into the mix because I have a "few" more than I might actually need. :Greenie:

Here they are stripped and prepped:

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00459.jpg

DSC00460.jpg

DSC00461.jpg

First coat:

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00463.jpg

DSC00464.jpg

While waiting for the paint to dry I thought I had more durcoat left than I actually did so I threw a laundry bag over a gun and knife that I had previously had duracoated professionally.

Marlin Papoose (originally duracoated in magpul foliage)
    Schade Survival (originally duracoated in some other green color)

Here are some pictures:

DSC00468.jpg

DSC00465.jpg

DSC00470.jpg

DSC00471.jpg

DSC00472.jpg

DSC00473.jpg

About the time I got done trying to put a little pattern on the guns above I realized I was getting a lot lower on the paint than I thought I was.

Here is the final coat picture:

DSC00469.jpg

In summary, I can't really comment on it's durability yet, but I can talk about the ease of using the kit. The kit was well worth it and it was apparent right from the start. You take out the spray degreaser and hose everything down after a good cleaning. Then you scratch everything up with the little pad they include. Take the duracoat and shake the heck out of it for a couple of minutes before pouring it into the spray bottle. Then add the hardener into the spray bottle and shake the heck out of it again. Then spray. It really was that easy and it's nice to not worry about measuring anything or cleaning up an air brush, or regulating an air compressor. I cleaned and took apart the guns last night and I did the scuffing and spraying after putting my baby down for a nap. I rushed through just about every step on this project, but overall I couldn't be happier with how it turned out so far. I'll probably wait until very late tonight or tomorrrow morning before I try to reassemble the guns. I'll take more pictures then.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Prep

I bought an airbrush and have done three firearms with Duracoat so far.

If you didn't take out all the screws and pins and degrease everything, the first sunny day the oil will bleed and cause the finish to seperate from the gun at those points. The bbl junction where the bbl goes into the rcvr is the same way. I forgot filler screws on a MK II and need to redo the gun.

That's experience talkin'.:twocents:

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    The first time I saw duracoat was on american guns, but they didn't explain it much. Is it an epoxy of some sort or a paint and do/can you bake it?

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    The first time I saw duracoat was on american guns, but they didn't explain it much. Is it an epoxy of some sort or a paint and do/can you bake it?

I believe the products from the same company are DuraKote, DuraBake, and CeraKote.
    I know DuraKote doesn't require baking, DuraBake does, and I think CeraKote does. CeraKote has some sort of ceramic in the mix to make an even harder finish.

As for epoxy, not sure, here's the info from Lauer, the maker

"[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]What is DuraCoat?[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]DuraCoat is a two part chemical coating. Unlike other firearm finishes, DuraCoat was created specifically for firearms. Other firearm finishes are "spin-off's" from other industries."[/FONT]

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    To be completely honest, the more I look at what I've done so far the more rookie mistakes I've found. Most of the mistakes I've found are where I just put too light of a coat or where I may have missed a litte nook or cranny entirely. I didn't do this to make these guns show pieces, but I at least want to start them off right before I really go out and put them to the test.

One thing I did notice is that I need to be more patient. Once it dried enough I could touch the parts I tried putting the barrel clamp back on the gun. It's a very tight fit to the barrel and stock even at its loosest level, but I thought I could try it and the paint started to scrape off. Now tonight a day after having done all that I just got rough and forced that thing on there thinking I'd really scrape the color off and nothing. You can barely tell this barrel clamp was squeezed over it. This stuff is tough, if you're patient enough to let it cure.

Here's a couple more pics of the 10-22 after I reassembled it.

DSC00474.jpg

DSC00475.jpg

DSC00478.jpg

Now when the next batch arrives I have to decide which of my ruger mags is going to get the coating also.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I had some rookie mistakes of my own on my first run with the spray duracoat. I like you was ready to reassemble and scoffed a small part of the rifle. I fixed it though. Something else I learned it that you only want to use half of the duracoat.....at least in my case. This was my first test subject....a Marlin Glenfield Mod. 75 I picked up from a friend for $50. The bluing was rusty and destroyed, the stock was beat to hell. It shot perfectly fine just hadn't been cleaned in forever. The rifling was strong. I don't have any before photos. This is 1 week after applying duracoat spray. I still need to get a barrel band and front trigger assembly screw. I may for go the frong sight post and slap on a scope.

6CDC4D62-1.jpg

003.jpg

.photobucket.com/albums/af280/kadle51/Snapbucket/002.jpg[/IMG]
    004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

I am pleased with it overall. It will be a brush gun and will be put through some rough use so I dont care if its perfect.

I am digging your rifle very much. That is a good looking rifle!

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Complete disassembly helps finished product

Of the 40+ I have Duracoated, I always do a complete disassembly of the gun, degrease with Durastrip and fixture every part with wire, dowel rod, etc. so I can turn it while I spray. This helps to eliminate missing an area. Oils will seep out and you will see the effects of your finish. Keep experimenting...the great thing is you can always change it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Of the 40+ I have Duracoated, I always do a complete disassembly of the gun, degrease with Durastrip and fixture every part with wire, dowel rod, etc. so I can turn it while I spray. This helps to eliminate missing an area. Oils will seep out and you will see the effects of your finish. Keep experimenting...the great thing is you can always change it.

With 40+ you're just the man I need to ask this to. When my next package shows up I want to touch up my rookie mistakes but also put on another whole coat over the guns. Do I need to scuff up the duracoat I just did to apply more, or should I just hit it with the decrease spray if even that?

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Need more info...

How long since the first coat? Have you put anything on the Duracoat (oil). If it is fully cured (more than 2 weeks or baked at 105 F for an hour) then I would just degloss the surface (Scotch brite pad lightly) and wipe with the Duracoat degreaser.

BTW..I bought the 10mm bullets and .223 brass from you.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    How long since the first coat? Have you put anything on the Duracoat (oil). If it is fully cured (more than 2 weeks or baked at 105 F for an hour) then I would just degloss the surface (Scotch brite pad lightly) and wipe with the Duracoat degreaser.

BTW..I bought the 10mm bullets and .223 brass from you.

LOL, I'm sorry I have such a hard time keeping faces and screen names connected sometimes. I've got a bunch more 223 brass if you want a great deal on some more too let me know. It's only been about a week since I did the duracoat, but I figured I'd be scuffing it up some and hitting it with degreaser. I'll update more photos as I get this project further.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks for the write-up on this Teddy, I was looking into getting one of these kits myself. Looks like it worked real well on your project. How well do you think it will hold up on the plastic stock? Thats what Im looking to do is coat a synthetic stock.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Duracoat on synthetic stock

SGreen3..No problem on the stock. It is a polymer and yes it will scratch, like the normal finish on wood if rubbed against the right thing. I have found it very durable on stocks, steel and aluminum. It is tough, just not bullet proof. Be sure that you allow it to cure completely before you judge the durability. I always find something to spray the left-over material on to see what it will take. Bench vice, wrenches, shepards hook outdoors in the sun, etc.. Hvae been very satisfied with the results. I have used it on my duck gun, SBE, and I have worn completely through it. This gun sees the worst of conditions. Nice thing is, I just respray it when needed. It does not rust like many of the other duck guns in our group.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    That is sort of what I was thinking good to know you can just touch it up if you need to though. Ill probably go ahead and get one of these kits and give it a try.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well, I got the next kit in and I'm touching up my mistakes on the first round, but I'm also doing my 10FP-SR. I couldn't just buy a whole kit for touch up so I just had to do another gun. I'm taking all the guns to the range tomorrow so I hope they're all ready for it tomorrow. The big difference in todays coating is that its definitely below 50 degrees in the garage today.

Top Bottom