Duracoat or Cerakote? Who does the best job?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yote69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Logansport
    I am looking to get a pistol slide either Duracoated or Cerakoted and wanted to see which one you feel is the best and why. I have never had this done and wonder if the diy kits are the same or ??? Also, if I have it professionally done who do you recommend and why.

Thanks in advance for all of the information.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I did the research on this a while back when I was looking into getting set up to do my own coating on firearms. Here is what I found summed up in very short explanations.

Duracoat is nothing more than a high quality spray paint. You don't bake it on so it's very easy to apply, but it isn't as durable, some chemicals will remove it.

KG Gunkote is a baked on product that is easy to apply, and only a few harsh chemicals will remove it.

Cerakote is very touchy to application techniques and very slight differences will affect the finish quality. It is also a baked on product. Ultimately, cerakote has the potential to make a very nice, and durable finish if you have good equipment and you're experienced at doing that type of work.

What did I choose? I chose KG gunkote... it's still very durable, but much easier to apply (according to my findings). The ONLY thing I don't like about KG gunkote, or any other baked on product is that you can't apply it to scopes, stocks, etc because you have to bake them... KG gunkote makes an air cure coating that isn't quite as durable but still does a pretty good job. My finding was that the air-cure gunkote did not match the baked on gunkote in a satisfactory manner. The finish texture was different and the color is very noticeably different. The air-cure is also very hard to mix and keep mixed, they say not to shake it, but shaking it was the only way I could possibly get it mixed up... :dunno:

Would I go back and do duracoat if I could? No way, I want something that is very durable. Would I choose Cerakote? Probably not because I'm not so sure that it would correct any of the problems I have with KG gunkote...

Clear as mud right? To sum it up, and hopefully clarify that a bit more, KG gunkote isn't perfect, but I don't see any other coatings that are any better.
    :twocents:

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I've dura-coated several firearms short and long, I would not use it on a handgun that will be carried in a holster, I don't think it would hold up for very long. But on long guns it works great. I dura-coated a Remington 1100 in tactical flat black and shot probably 2500 rounds through that gun before I traded it off and it still looked as good as the day I sprayed it.

Dwight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    CountryBoy is right on the money. I just this week received my M&P .45 back from a trusted friend that is set up to do GunKote. It looks awesome and my friend swears to the durability based on his personal experience.

I did the slide, the palm swell insert and the base plates to my mags. The baked on finish on the slide is more of a flat finish and is slightly lighter in color than the air-cured plastic parts.

All in all, looks great and I am pleased.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Different opinion

Having used Duracoat on about 50 projects now, it has proven to be very durable and easy to use. It is NOT a glorified spray paint. I have it on my EDC and it has been in use for over 4 years. No more wear showing than any gun carried in a holster every day for that length of time.

Yote69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Logansport
    Are you referring to Gunkote 2400? If so, how do you prepare (I don't have anyway to sandblast) and do you have to use an airbrush? Baked on finish or air dry?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Having used Duracoat on about 50 projects now, it has proven to be very durable and easy to use. It is NOT a glorified spray paint. I have it on my EDC and it has been in use for over 4 years. No more wear showing than any gun carried in a holster every day for that length of time.
    What parts have you put it on? What about wear from physical contact? Do you have any documentation supporting your opinion that Duracoat is more than a high quality spray paint?

I applied gunkote to my R700 rifle, including the bolt, and there is very little wear showing on the bolt (a part that has constant, tight-clearance physical contact with other metal parts). I didn't say Duracoat was bad, just that it's not as durable as the others and it's susceptible to more chemicals than the others.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Duracoat data available

Duracoat is a 2 part polymer coating, not a pigment suspended in a solvent like paint. The abrasion test data is available for Duracoat from Lauer custom Weaponry and searching a little on-line.

Originally developed for military applications. I have used it on aluminum, carbon steel, stainless steel, brass and various plastic materials. I always seem to have a little left when I do a project so I spray it on whatever is handy as test subjects. Wrenches, a vise, plant hangers that are outside year around, flashlights, etc..

I have used it on barrels with pitted surfaces that most would have given up on. Just my experiences, I have had great success with it.

Here is agood site with information on Duracoat products.

DuraCoat Firearm Finishes FAQ

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I like moly resin for a blend of all the positives. Easy to apply, no mixing of hardner, bake on, pretty durable if you take care of it. and it looks the closest to a factory finish i have seen compared to ANY of the spray ons. not as durable as cerekote but the ease that it gets applied makes it my top choice for refinishing.

greed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Does anyone know of any places that do good finishing work. I have found the web site for Hoosier Gun Coat, but I would love to find a place local to Indy.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have 2 1911 Commanders that have KG Kote on them and they both look great! One is green frame and black slide and the other is tan frame with black slide. :yesway:

Dr. Pretorius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I had KRC Refinishing in Avon IN do my AK-47, He first Pakerized the rifle then baked on the Cerakote and it turned out fantastic. I have had Chris at KRC work on several of my rifles and he always does an amazing job at a very affordable price. Below is his website, please tell him Rob Perkins recomended him to you.

Home

Cheers, Rob

Here is a pic of my AK that Chris Re-finished for me.

AK47RomyG.jpg

Last edited:

joejenders

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So after reading your many posts, do I need to use Durafil, or is the Duracoat sufficient to fill-in the rust pits. There are places on the barrel, slide, and receiver that rusted from being in contact with the white foam in a packing box for many years. From what I was told, the pistol was sitting in a place like a screened from porch at a lake home with very high humidity. Funny thing is that one side of pistol has severe rust and almost no rust on the opposite side. There must have been an oily rag in the box that was in contact with the gun rather than the gun being wrapped in the oil rag.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I do refinishing with either Cerakote or KG GunKote.
    I am in Avon. PM me if you have any questions.

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    Does anyone know of any places that do good finishing work. I have found the web site for Hoosier Gun Coat, but I would love to find a place local to Indy.

Bell Precision Rifles in Greensburg does CeraKote applications. He is Certified in this application process. By Certified.... I mean, He actually went to CeraKote in Oregon and took their Basic Class and then followed it up with their Master Course. He has the Certificates to back it up.

It is very durable and looks great. I have seen many that he has completed and own 2 myself, soon to be a third.

Contrary to what was said above, You can apply this to Stocks. He does this quite often and also bakes them. You can use it on optics also. Optics either need disassembled to be baked, or given the Air Dry Cure Coating that they offer.

There is a wide variety of colors to choose from and you can do any pattern you like as this is sprayed on first, then baked. Also any color combinations. It can be Glossy or Matte finish. He also does a coating from CeraKote called Micro Slick. It is a self lubricating coating that can be applied to BCGs, Triggers, Receivers, Slides... or most anything that needs lubricated. I also have this done on the Bolt and Receiver on one of my rifles. I will soon be getting it done on another one.

Cerakote Coatings Check out the colors, outcome and the testing performed.

If you would like to have this done, I would be more than happy to set you up with Mr. Bell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ksj-XJzVQik

Last edited:

Dwight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    CountryBoy is right on the money. I just this week received my M&P .45 back from a trusted friend that is set up to do GunKote. It looks awesome and my friend swears to the durability based on his personal experience.

I did the slide, the palm swell insert and the base plates to my mags. The baked on finish on the slide is more of a flat finish and is slightly lighter in color than the air-cured plastic parts.

All in all, looks great and I am pleased.

Since this thread was resurrected, I felt obligated to update.

The baked on GunKote on the slide is still as awesome as Day 1. :yesway:

The air cure on the plastic is worthless and peeled off like a bad sunburn after 2 IDPA matches. :noway:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    From the "Quality of Finish" standpoint, I believe that CERACOAT is the best you can get. Several of the gun manufacturers use this as a standard finish on some of their guns. That said, CERACOAT is definitely NOT a do-it-yourself project.

Top Bottom