• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    thinking about duracoating my jericho, but i had a lame question.. When duracoating the frame i still spray the slide rails????? Im new to the duracoat stuff and was thinking that if i did that it would change the dimensions ever so slightly by adding that layer of duracoat, tightening up the slide on the recoil. Will it hold up? Can anybody elaborate??? Im assuming i still spray the whole thing but i just want to make sure

RGR12

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    There is a guy on here that does duracoating and has done many firearms. You can find him under the name of sumphead. He does great work.

Jmak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It changes the color. There are 100's to chose. Try a WEB search. Ihave a duracoat spray set but am reluctant to use it. I agree with posted question and do not know how to handle the rails, hammer etc.

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    come on, don't mess up a Jericho! Go find a Glock to paint...
    If you are set on it, make sure to tape of the rails. If you don't, you are going to have to sand it back down before you can put your slide back on.

flhultra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    corydon area
    go ahead and just rattle can it , why not!
    a few years ago if you told me we would have Plastic guns I would have looked at you like you had 6 heads or something.
    now that's about all that is out there.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    come on, don't mess up a Jericho! Go find a Glock to paint...
    If you are set on it, make sure to tape of the rails. If you don't, you are going to have to sand it back down before you can put your slide back on.

Thats the exact answer i was looking for, thank you. I normaly wouldnt even think about doin it to a jericho, but im not a black/black color type of guy. All my pistols are duo toned. Even my glock has the EXO slide.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Two things I've learned using those duracoat shake & spray kits with pistols. 1.) if it's a moving part you're either going to want to leave it alone or get used to the idea that the duracoat is going to get scratched up a little bit from use and sliding surfaces. 2.) Make sure you go easy on the serial number part of the gun. Especially on pistols the serial numbers are very light impressions. It's pretty easy to just have it spraying and when you're done you'll have to go back and scratch off whatever is covering the serial numbers.

The best part of duracoat in my opinion is the added weather resistance along with make sure your gun doesn't stand out too much.

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    How do the "do it yourself" Duracote kits usually end uplooking/holding up over time? If it's anything like my airbrush attempts on other products, it would probably be best to disassemble your firearm and take it to a professional.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    How do the "do it yourself" Duracote kits usually end uplooking/holding up over time? If it's anything like my airbrush attempts on other products, it would probably be best to disassemble your firearm and take it to a professional.

Mine have held up surprisingly well. The key to a good coat of duracoat staying on is all in the prepp. When I did my 10-22 for example there are some parts on the gun I'm amazed it's stayed on because it's always getting rubbed/knocked against something, but that's where I prepped the heck out of it. There are also some spots like the grip where I blew threw the prep work and figured who cares, well some of it peeled off in those areas. By and large though, it's held up very well and I'd do it all over again.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    There is a guy on here that does duracoating and has done many firearms. You can find him under the name of sumphead. He does great work.

And I will second that. He's done several for me, including my daily carry...a Kel-Tec P3-AT. I carry it IWB, in pocket-front, back, coat, and ankle holster. It still looks like the day he gave it to me.

And, he's a nice guy. Take the effort to track him down. You won't be disappointed. :yesway:

Top Bottom