• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    So my wife was out and about and I mentioned to her that Dunham's had a bunch of long guns on sale. I've been meaning to pick up a tactical .22LR for my 2 older boys to plink with. I saw in the ad they have the GSG-522 for $280 (which seems like a decent deal) so I shoot her a text message to stop over and let my 9yr old check it out. (they were out doing school shopping)

She came home with it :rockwoot: and handed me a small 'card'.. like the price tag or something. She said that the lady scanned her driver's license and this 'price tag' and told my wife "your drivers license is linked to this gun now in case your gun is ever stolen"..

My question, is why in the world they would be doing this ?

(also, as a side note, she said the folks over there were all kinds of stunned when she walked in and asked for a GSG-522 specifically.. followed by 'is it for you ?? ROFLMAO)

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Its been a while (8-12 months) since I bought a gun from Dunhams so this is News to me! I do remember having to fill out multiple "extra store policy" paper work stating I understood the dangers of firearms and that Dunhams was not responsible for anything I do, or any injuries that I occur. And another form stating that the gun was used so that it was sold AS-IS and again that Dunhams was not responsible for anything. Dunhams also wont even remove their rifle/trigger lock for you to inspect the rifle in their store. Which is nonsense. This new DL scan thing is brand new bullsh*t from them. Stolen gun huh? Dunhams is leading the way in creating EXTRANEOUS paperwork and policies on for firearm sales. The current process didnt have enough red tape I guess.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I was sure that if the gun was ever stolen it would be traced back to the 4473 ATF form that was filed and NOT an electronic database that Dunham maintains. Are they under extra pressure from ATF/federal or local law enforcement for straw buys or what?
    Its not gonna be a big enough issue to dissaude folks from picking up a WASR-10 for $430 plus tax or a GSG-22 for $280 since those are good deals currently.

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It is a PITA to dig through 4473s trying to find a specific gun for an inquiry. Makes sense to me. DLN is already on the form and stored for a bazillion years so an intra database is no real biggie.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    They tick me off with ammo purchases, anyhow. Post #14 here and following.

As with what others said in that thread, I've never been asked for my DL in Warsaw or the South Bend/Mishawaka store when buying ammo. The Warsaw store has been several purchases with at least one of them being a decent amount of .223, 8mm, .40, and .308win.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    They tick me off with ammo purchases, anyhow. Post #14 here and following.

Not to open an old wound Jet Girl, but I have made ammo purchases at at least 3 different Dunhams in my area, and the only question I have ever been asked when purchasing ammo was if I would like a bag with that. Might be worth sticking your head in and seeing if they have changed in your local, sometimes they do have prety decent deals on ammo, and even long guns from time to time.:twocents:

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    If I am reading this thread and the other thread JetGirl provided, it almost looks like they copy only the DLs of the female customers. More info needed. Anyone else out there have their DL copied?

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    If I am reading this thread and the other thread JetGirl provided, it almost looks like they copy only the DLs of the female customers. More info needed. Anyone else out there have their DL copied?

That must be the case. I've purchased long guns and all types ammo from the Anderson Dunhams. No one has ever asked to scan anything. I did have to sign a release for the Mosin, but it didn't seem like it had any "registry" type info on it. Never asked for anything when just purchasing ammo.

Maybe I'll send my wife in for ammo by herself next time.

aka-kesler

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    I recently (2 wks. ago) made a purchase at Warsaw Dunhams... No D.L. check for me.?? must be something really new...

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Now I have a reason to go buy another long gun... "but honey, I need to see if they scan MY license"...

followed by
    "of course I'll return the AR for a refund"....

followed by
    "well, they wouldn't let me return it.. NO REFUNDS... so I guess I'll have to keep it huh ?"

LOL

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I picked up the last WASR at the Warsaw Dunham's tonight, they didn't scan my DL. Actually had some fairly knowledgeable people behind the counter too.

daddymikey, that sounds like a good plan. They've got Bushmaster optics ready M4s on sale right now. $749. Warsaw had 4 or 5 in the case. I don't really remember seeing more than 2 or 3 at the Mishawaka store.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I picked up the last WASR at the Warsaw Dunham's tonight, they didn't scan my DL. Actually had some fairly knowledgeable people behind the counter too.

daddymikey, that sounds like a good plan. They've got Bushmaster optics ready M4s on sale right now. $749. Warsaw had 4 or 5 in the case. I don't really remember seeing more than 2 or 3 at the Mishawaka store.

If you can borrow me the money, I'm all over it... My problem is that my gun-fundage is low again... the other problem is that my wife wants another gun and I MUST get that before I get myself another one...

The part that I hate, is after gun purchases, we usually hop on my buddy's speedboat and I wind up losing the darn things :dunno:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Not to open an old wound Jet Girl, but I have made ammo purchases at at least 3 different Dunhams in my area, and the only question I have ever been asked when purchasing ammo was if I would like a bag with that. Might be worth sticking your head in and seeing if they have changed in your local, sometimes they do have prety decent deals on ammo, and even long guns from time to time.:twocents:

Yargh... I haven't been back. Don't know if I want to.
    Maybe when it's time to get a new pair of New Balance sneakers...
    That's about all that place is good for (*for me*, imo).

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If you can borrow me the money, I'm all over it... My problem is that my gun-fundage is low again... the other problem is that my wife wants another gun and I MUST get that before I get myself another one...

The part that I hate, is after gun purchases, we usually hop on my buddy's speedboat and I wind up losing the darn things :dunno:

I was looking at fishing kayaks. Probably a good thing I didn't get one. I would hate to have a boating accident.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    If they are only asking females for ID, to link the gun to the owner, perhaps they are looking for straw purchasers. Wives/girlfriends buying guns for their prohibited husbands and or boyfriends. Not saying it makes it right, but it's a legitimate possibility.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town

Personally, I'm more worried about being shot by a woman than by a man.:)

Top Bottom