Dumb question time: open carry + lightning storms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    Okay, I honestly don't know the answer to this so if at all possible hold the snickering.

The Missus and I were taking a walk last night. It wasn't raining but a thunderstorm was parked over head and there was thunder and lightning. The lightning was striking pretty close. Here's the dumb question: does carrying a gun make it any more likely you would be struck by lightning?

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It won't make any difference at all. Of course, if you can see the lightning, you're already in the middle of the target region and thus a target if you're outside.

BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    It's a Springfield XD 9mm. Why would that make a difference? Still a fair chunk'o metal onboard.

I used to caddie as a kid and it was an article of faith that holding a golf club could act as a lightning rod. Just sayin'!

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No more of a lightning target than carrying a cell phone, pocket change, knife, and flashlight would make you a larger target.

Question I have is have there been any documented cases of being struck while carrying a personal protection sidearm A) at all, B) where the lightning discharge lead directly to an accidental discharge?

If the current never passes through the mag, then there's no reason to suspect that it would pass through the primers and set them off.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Only if you OC, it has been proven than if you OC you have 83.5% chance of being the victim of a violent crime and 97.8% of being hit by lighting, before you have time to draw your gun.
    If you CC you will be less likely to be targeted by lighting strikes (4.75% only).
    So in conclusion you should eat bacon twice a day and obey the speed limit at all time.
    Be safe and have a nice flight!

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    If it's a High Point, I think you run the risk of lightning striking it directly. Other than that, Lightning is going to strike the tallest object in your surroundings.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Holding a golf club usually means holding it over your head to swing. As long as you don't hold the gun over your head you should be fine.

BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    And never forget, if you open carry the bad guys will take your gun away from you and make you dance like in a bad Western (at least that's what my anti-gun Dad tells me!)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    No more of a lightning target than carrying a cell phone, pocket change, knife, and flashlight would make you a larger target.

Question I have is have there been any documented cases of being struck while carrying a personal protection sidearm A) at all, B) where the lightning discharge lead directly to an accidental discharge?

If the current never passes through the mag, then there's no reason to suspect that it would pass through the primers and set them off.

I think if I'm struck by lightning.
    And my weapon discharges.
    I was pretty much destined to die that day.

Top Bottom