• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I was ticketed for speeding 40 in a 30 mph zone, on my 10 speed bicycle.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, were you speeding?

I too would think that this would more PI than DUI, especially if he needed it to get around.

While I was waiting on a little blue bar to hit 100% here at work, I Googled Michigan's laws...

They say that anything used to move people or goods on a "highway" is a vehicle. So, you CAN get a DUI on anything that moves (wheelchair, skateboard, roller skates, etc...).

Bless their heart... :rolleyes:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    That guy coulda ran his wheelchair into a school bus full of kids and puppies and bunny rabbits! Think of the carnage! I guess you guys wouldn't be wringing your hands over this then, would you?

Before you post, please think of the children!

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Bicycles should be exempt, as roller skates and skateboards etc.. any human powered vechile needes exepmt how much damage can they really do?? Who you going to hurt other than yourself.

Think about this for a minute would you rather encounter a drunk bicyclist or a drunk driver..

But stealing someones power chair... wow..

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That guy coulda ran his wheelchair into a school bus full of kids and puppies and bunny rabbits! Think of the carnage! I guess you guys wouldn't be wringing your hands over this then, would you?

Before you post, please think of the children!

OR

He could have wandered onto the roadway causing a motor vehicle to swerve off the road and run into a tree. It's not necessarily what the person intoxicated is doing, but the how other non-intoxicated persons respond to his state.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Bicycles should be exempt, as roller skates and skateboards etc.. any human powered vechile needes exepmt how much damage can they really do?? Who you going to hurt other than yourself.

Think about this for a minute would you rather encounter a drunk bicyclist or a drunk driver..

But stealing someones power chair... wow..

(see above)

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Well, were you speeding?

I couldn't say. I never found the need to place a speedometer on a bicycle.

My neighbor and my high school history teacher were the Police Chief and Mayor respectively. Both saw to it that the citation was rescinded before it ever arrived to the court....and the Greenwood Police then had another policy of ticketing bicyclist for speed.

I too would think that this would more PI than DUI, especially if he needed it to get around.

Agreed.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    OR

He could have wandered onto the roadway causing a motor vehicle to swerve off the road and run into a tree. It's not necessarily what the person intoxicated is doing, but the how other non-intoxicated persons respond to his state.

They don't need wheels to do that, as people already do that on foot.....and not all of them are under the influence of some substance.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    They don't need wheels to do that, as people already do that on foot.....and not all of them are under the influence of some substance.

Just for the record, I'm of the opinion that he just should have been arrested for PI. Oh yeah, and theft, since he he stole the wheelchair. However, I'm wondering if some slick lawyer might be able to beat a PI charge citing that a motorized wheelchair was a vehicle, making PI non-applicable.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    OR

Fine! Let's go at it from your angle. I'm driving a school bus full of children and puppies and bunny rabbits, and some dude in a wheel chair swerves in front of me. The road is lined with trees on both sides. I glance in the huge mirror over my head and see the kids, the puppies, and the bunny rabbits. Dude in wheelchair eats the front of my bus. The county will have to sue his estate to get any drunk driving fines out of that dude.

This is also probably one of the numerous reasons I don't drive a school bus.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    Fine! Let's go at it from your angle. I'm driving a school bus full of children and puppies and bunny rabbits, and some dude in a wheel chair swerves in front of me. The road is lined with trees on both sides. I glance in the huge mirror over my head and see the kids, the puppies, and the bunny rabbits. Dude in wheelchair eats the front of my bus. The county will have to sue his estate to get any drunk driving fines out of that dude.

This is also probably one of the numerous reasons I don't drive a school bus.

Then the kids, puppies and bunny rabbits all have to get off of the bus and see wheel chair guy plastered to the front. Yes, the world is harsh, but that could probably scar a 5 y/o kindergartner on some degree.

Why not just have laws on the books to keep dui wheelchair guy, drunk buggy driver, or jay walker from initiating the incident in the first place?

If it's his seventh, I'm just going to throw out there maybe he has a problem and probably fully earned this one.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Then the kids, puppies and bunny rabbits all have to get off of the bus and see wheel chair guy plastered to the front. Yes, the world is harsh, but that could probably scar a 5 y/o kindergartner on some degree.
    There is a story regarding the late great Jim Morrison, and a horrible accident he witnessed as a child, and how it haunted him the rest of his life, maybe one of the kids on the bus will grow up to form a band like the Doors? We could use more bands like the Doors. The dogs, they'd probably be fascinated by the gore of it all. The bunnies, I don't really know where the bunnies would come down on the issue.

Top Bottom