• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I looked over your targets and would like to get some but I think what I really want is a dueling tree.

Your circular targets have 1 or 2 holes pre-drilled and I suppose I could bolt through those and attach them to a central post, but I was wondering if it would be possible to get some circular targets with a tab that is maybe 4" long by 1" wide instead of circular targets with holes?

Also, how hard is it to weld AR500 steel? I'd need to weld a tube to the tab so it could be mounted to a central spindle. I've got the design figured out, and I own a welder, just not sure if there is anything special required to weld AR500 steel.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Loaded question

You can weld AR500, but in doing so you can alter the temper and 'soften' the material. How much depends on how much heat you induce for how long. I cannot give you a straight answer as to what the outcome will be. You can preheat and then post heat to 1600(I think) and let air cool to normalize, but I don't have the tools to handle that....

In regards to the tabs, yes I can cut anything you need.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Loaded question

You can weld AR500, but in doing so you can alter the temper and 'soften' the material. How much depends on how much heat you induce for how long. I cannot give you a straight answer as to what the outcome will be. You can preheat and then post heat to 1600(I think) and let air cool to normalize, but I don't have the tools to handle that....

In regards to the tabs, yes I can cut anything you need.

Thanks, now I think I have my winter project to work on :rockwoot:

As for the welding, I know that it will weaken the steel, which is exactly why I want the 'tabs' because the very end of the tab, the farthest away from the target area, is the part that will be welded to a tube, which will be the part that swivels for my dueling tree design.

I need to line up some additional parts (my neighbor's machine shop probably can get them for me) and I'll be talking to you at some point about some circles with tabs.

Top Bottom